GDT: Devils host Panthers - 5 March @ 7pm

jagknife

1 minute ago, jagknife said:

“The way people were talking in this board, that’s what many expected.

meanwhile I’ve been preaching goaltending is the problem since last May, but no one listened to me. Just me, I’m the only one who thought we had bad goaltending. I told everyone we would regret not getting Hellebyuck.

No one listened to me.

not even when I said I have a source, people still doubted me”

Damn I was close

Ya just gotta ignore him completely, no matter how hard he trolls for attention, no matter how hard he tries to bait people.  It’s incredibly easy to do once you commit to not getting sucked in.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ButlerBulldog said:

It wouldn’t surprise me if the new coach decides to remove everyone’s letters and reassess the team’s leadership hierarchy.  I don’t necessarily want this, as I think Nico’s an effective captain, but if the new coach means to instill accountability, one way to do it is make everyone audition for his role.

Maybe they need a Sutter-like prick but I don't think coming in and stripping Elias 2.0 of the C will solve anything, I still don't think it really helped doing it to Elias.  Put it this way, if Nico isn't the C on this team who exactly would you trust with it?  MAYBE Bratt?  At least that dude is actually playing up to signing his big deal but he's like Nico's little bro anyway.

Edited by NJDevs4978
  • Like 1

Just now, Puckbuster said:

Individually there are players that had a solid season, but collectively the product on the ice suck for the most part.  Just think, how much better of season those players you mention would have had with proper coaching and better roster management.

I agree with this, and I expect each of them to improve in a better system.  I just don’t think it’s fair to paint with such a broad brush, as although the team has clearly underachieved, the culpability for this lies more with some than with others.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ButlerBulldog said:

It wouldn’t surprise me if the new coach decides to remove everyone’s letters and reassess the team’s leadership hierarchy.  I don’t necessarily want this, as I think Nico’s an effective captain, but if the new coach means to instill accountability, one way to do it is make everyone audition for his role.

Don’t think he’ll need to go THAT far.  But I think the new guy will let his players know that he’s not necessarily a player’s coach, in one way or another.

• Like 2

Just now, NJDevs4978 said:

Maybe they need a Sutter-like prick but I don't think THAT will solve anything.  Put it this way, if Nico isn't the C on this team who exactly would you trust with it?  MAYBE Bratt?  At least that dude is actually playing up to signing his big deal but he's like Nico's little bro anyway.

I think Nico probably regains the “C” if it’s taken away by the new coach, but there may be some changes among the alternates.  What sort of leadership does Palat provide?

1 minute ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Maybe they need a Sutter-like prick but I don't think THAT will solve anything.  Put it this way, if Nico isn't the C on this team who exactly would you trust with it?  MAYBE Bratt?  At least that dude is actually playing up to signing his big deal but he's like Nico's little bro anyway.

I would kill for one game, just one full 60 minute game of Timo on Nico’s right, Bratt in the left, and Holtz with Jack and either Haula or Toffoli, but not both.

Just let them run already. We aren’t winning, we aren’t making the playoffs, go helter skelter, as Doc would put it.

• Like 5

Just now, jagknife said:

I would kill for one game, just one full 60 minute game of Timo on Nico’s right, Bratt in the left, and Holtz with Jack and either Haula or Toffoli, but not both.

Just let them run already. We aren’t winning, we aren’t making the playoffs, go helter skelter, as Doc would put it.

Curious to see if Holtz survives the deadline.  If he’s not going as part of a package for a goalie, not sure what else he’d be moved for.

1 minute ago, ButlerBulldog said:

I think Nico probably regains the “C” if it’s taken away by the new coach, but there may be some changes among the alternates.  What sort of leadership does Palat provide?

Nico should keep the C regardless of who is coach. The last thing I want is another Elias situation.

he also isn’t playing like wheeler did when his was stripped in Winnipeg.

he also isn’t past his prime like Brown was in LA

• Like 2

Just now, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Curious to see if Holtz survives the deadline.  If he’s not going as part of a package for a goalie, not sure what else he’d be moved for.

Yeah, I figured Thursday he’ll get a top 6 game again to showcase for Calgary.

or they try to get St Louis to give up on Binnington. Yikes.

1 minute ago, jagknife said:

Nico should keep the C regardless of who is coach. The last thing I want is another Elias situation.

he also isn’t playing like wheeler did when his was stripped in Winnipeg.

he also isn’t past his prime like Brown was in LA

I think we also forget that Hamilton will be back next year.  That turned out to be a serious loss, especially on the PP.

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

I mean they played a decent enough game, given everything that's been going on.

Sell TT though. My goodness he can't generate anything in this system.

We don't have any system...

• Like 1

Just now, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I think we also forget that Hamilton will be back next year.  That turned out to be a serious loss, especially on the PP.

Yeah, Siegs is also desperately missing him.

5 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Fitz has to realize that if he intends to move Holtz, he made his job harder by bashing him in front of the media.  By now, every other GM has probably been informed of his remarks, and although I’m sure many of them would love to add a player like Holtz, they’re not going to pay top dollar if they think they can get him for a fraction of the price.

Edited by ButlerBulldog
  • Like 1

Just now, jagknife said:

Yeah, Siegs is also desperately missing him.

I wish we could skip past what effectively is “limbo”.  We know there will be a new coach and very likely a revamped staff.  And some kind of deal for a goalie.  And likely some other personnel moves.  Just wish we knew what they’ll be…the waiting’s gonna suck.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, devlman said:

I know Luke Hughes has been thrown to the wolves this year and has a bright future ahead of him, but man does he suck right now. He is a turnover machine. 

Yeah that’s why I think a game off here and there down the stretch can’t hurt.

• Like 2

Late in the 3rd period we had only 3 guys on the ice for way too long before they realized they needed to send out 2 more. Have no clue what they were doing there. 

Glad I'm not going Thursday or Saturday, absolutely sick of this team and ready for the season to be done. Normally I'd do a double header but I'll just be at Red Bull Arena Saturday night instead. 

Edited by Satans Hockey
  • Like 1

Watched the game on delay.   I almost gave up and turned it off at 2-0.

One bright spot was the real life power forward move by Timo.  We’ve been waiting for that for close to a year now.   

Jack still has some maturing to do.   I know some of the emotion is kind of just who he is but the constant complaining, breaking sticks, throwing head back (after crossbar tonight), firing pucks into the wall in frustration (empty net goal tonight) is becoming way too common.   It’s one thing if it happens once in a while, but it’s a nightly occurrence right now.   

Edited by Lateralous
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

Late in the 3rd period we had only 3 guys on the ice for way too long before they realized they needed to send out 2 more. Have no clue what they were doing there. 

Glad I'm not going Thursday or Saturday, absolutely sick of this team and ready for the season to be done. 

Sadly I’m kinda back to watching the games but not really WATCHING if you know what I mean.  Just to hard to be fully engaged with the current state of the team.  And those early goals can take you out of it…well, early.

Not planning on attending any more games this season, though I’ll still watch them on TV.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Lateralous said:

One bright spot was the real life power forward move by Timo.  We’ve been waiting for that for close to a year now.   

Jack still has some maturing to do.   I know some of the emotion is kind of just who he is but the constant complaining, breaking sticks, throwing head back (after crossbar tonight), firing pucks into the wall in frustration (empty net goal tonight) is becoming way too common.   It’s one thing if he happens once in a while, but it’s a nightly occurrence right now.   

Jack’s my guy and he’s OUR guy and he keeps finding ways to put up points, but yeah, I can see why fans of other teams would see what’s been going on and find him less likable.

On one hand, yeah, the guy obviously gives a damn, but also don’t give anyone (especially opposing players) reasons to hate you.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Lateralous said:

Jack still has some maturing to do.   I know some of the emotion is kind of just who he is but the constant complaining, breaking sticks, throwing head back (after crossbar tonight), firing pucks into the wall in frustration (empty net goal tonight) is becoming way too common.   It’s one thing if he happens once in a while, but it’s a nightly occurrence right now.   

I speculated above that the new coach might reassess the leadership of this team, and Jack’s immaturity is what made me think of the idea.  Whatever a player’s talent level or the circumstances under which he must play, he’s not setting a good example by throwing temper tantrums.  If Jack’s still doing this next season, I hope whoever’s minding the store has the balls to sit him down for a shift.

2 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Jack’s my guy and he’s OUR guy and he keeps finding ways to put up points, but yeah, I can see why fans of other teams would see what’s been going on and find him less likable.

On one hand, yeah, the guy obviously gives a damn, but also don’t give anyone (especially opposing players) reasons to hate you.

His behavior looks particularly bad on the heels of his quip about people paying to watch him play.  No one pays to watch the sort of nonsense @Lateralous mentioned.  Be that as it may, I think much of Jack’s frustration will subside once he’s able to get healthy and play the kind of hockey we’re used to seeing.