Toffoli to WPG Jets for a 2025 second-round pick and a 2024 third-round pick. Retained Half Salary

Now that it's sinking in:

Don't love 50% retained, but it's not like that's going to affect anything beyond this year.  It's plenty temporary.

The return isn't a wow, but at the same time, Fitz is in a position where unless he got a first-rounder or a legit prospect in return, a lot of fans weren't ever going to be happy.

The thing is if he had hung onto Toffoli past the deadline, there would have complaints from "Oh great, so guess we're getting nothing for him now" to "Awesome, now watch fvcking Fitz sign this guy for another four years".  With the exception of one specific scenario (Devils get a first-round in return), this was going to play out as lose-lose, especially with so many Devils fans as down on Fitz as they are (and yes, he brought quite a bit of that on himself).

I'm not saying this deal represents anything to jump around about.

But I don't think this was the worst-case scenario.  Keeping him just to let him walk for nothing at all (especially since the Devils are really playing for nothing) or to sign him for another 3+ years would've been worse, IMO.  

• Like 6

23 minutes ago, ButlerBulldog said:

Why Miller?  He’s generally been solid.

He's the definition of a deadline piece. He's not signed next year, could maybe fetch something. We're dead weight this year and he probably won't be here next year regardless 

6 minutes ago, Muevelos said:

He's the definition of a deadline piece. He's not signed next year, could maybe fetch something. We're dead weight this year and he probably won't be here next year regardless 

Your reasoning in and of itself is sound, but I’m wary of leaving the Devils with no depth at defenseman over these last nineteen games regardless of whether the team is making the playoffs.

Just throwing this out there, but what if ownership is really pulling Fitz's strings and he's just their waterboy basically. What if it's ownership telling him to make these decisions because they want to be frugal with money and max out on profits? Hence, the team isn't getting better but they're raising ticket prices as just one example.

I don't know how hands on, or hands off ownership is, but could that be the case? If it is then this franchise is toast. 

Edited by slasher72
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, slasher72 said:

Just throwing this out there, but what if ownership is really pulling Fitz's strings and he's just their waterboy basically. What if it's ownership telling him to make these decisions because they want to be frugal with money and max out on profits? Hence, the team isn't getting better but they're raising ticket prices as just one example.

I don't know how hands on, or hands off ownership is, but could that be the case? If it is then this franchise is toast. 

That actually makes Fitz look worse, IMO.  No general manager worth his salt should be willing to work for an ownership group asking him to prioritize profit over winning.  I know that sports is a business, but making moves that don’t enable a team to improve runs contrary to the purpose of the general manager position.

Edited by ButlerBulldog

6 minutes ago, slasher72 said:

2 minutes ago, ButlerBulldog said:

That actually makes Fitz look worse, IMO.  No general manager worth his salt should be willing to work for an ownership group asking him to prioritize profit over winning.

They let him spend to the cap and have let other GMs spend (including Lou, who was spending badly at that, at the end).  Don't think that is the case at all.  

• Like 2

I'm curious. Does this mean VV is traded in the offseason cuz no way we are rolling with both him and Allen. I'm worries this means Fitz is pushing the can down the road on the goaltending thing  issue. 

Also what happened to Fitz this year? Up until this year every signing and trade he made he either won or made complete sense and was great ultimately minus Palat being overspent on but can make sense of it. This year this isn't the same GM we've had, it's like he's fell off the cliff. I'm curious what the hell is going on in that front office

5 minutes ago, Muevelos said:

I'm curious. Does this mean VV is traded in the offseason cuz no way we are rolling with both him and Allen. I'm worries this means Fitz is pushing the can down the road on the goaltending thing  issue. 

Also what happened to Fitz this year? Up until this year every signing and trade he made he either won or made complete sense and was great ultimately minus Palat being overspent on but can make sense of it. This year this isn't the same GM we've had, it's like he's fell off the cliff. I'm curious what the hell is going on in that front office

I know he got extended but if he doesn’t make solid moves this summer, his seat better start warm after the failure that was this year.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, jagknife said:

I know he got extended but if he doesn’t make solid moves this summer, his seat better start warm after the failure that was this year.

He needs to nail the coaching hire and number-one goalie acquisition, or he likely won’t make it to the second year of his extension.

Edited by ButlerBulldog
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, ButlerBulldog said:

He needs to nail the coaching hire and number-one goalie acquisition, or he likely won’t make it to the second year of his extension.

Jake Allen...Dave Rogalski... Does that mean Craig Berube is on the way? 😁

• Like 2

1 hour ago, slasher72 said:

They make so much more money if they make the playoffs. Wanting a GM who actually gets the team in the playoffs would make way more sense. Also retaining a lot of salary isn't cost saving either. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, njbuff said:

I’m not betting on it, but watch the Devils on a run now, now that they don’t have Toffoli to slow them down.

That would be ironic.

If Timo goes off, then I'll be happy to see that. I want his confidence sky high to start next season. 

• Like 2