Jake Allen to NJD for conditional 3rd

jagknife

2 minutes ago, jagknife said:

How the hell did Allen get a third to probably become a second is my question. Like what the freaking hell.

I think they basically got Allen for free and the picks bought the retention.

Edited by smelly

7 minutes ago, jagknife said:

How the hell did Allen get a third to probably become a second is my question. Like what the freaking hell.

Montreal should have paid us to take Allen off their hands. A potential 2nd for him is ridiculous.

• Like 2

Just now, MrBreeze said:

40 games is supposedly the trigger

So if he plays 10-15 this year and 25-30 next year as a backup. Very reasonable, especially if it’s games played and not games started.

i don’t like it

• Like 1

Just now, 2ELIAS6 said:

I don’t know. Everything about this season just blows 

All this has the feel of the deck chairs on the Titanic being rearranged.  The time to fire Ruff and/or trade for a goalie was 2-3 months ago.

11 minutes ago, jagknife said:

But what will probably become a second? That’s my issue.

I get the feeling he won't get to 40.  Maybe 30-35 when all is said and done.  This is about Fitz not wanting to keep VV around to be the backup in 2024-25, but it won't surprise me if he winds up looking to upgrade the backup position next season if Allen's not panning out.

I know everyone wanted to see a goalie deal made for this season, but this deal was made with next season in mind.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, ButlerBulldog said:

All this has the feel of the deck chairs on the Titanic being rearranged.  The time to fire Ruff and/or trade for a goalie was 2-3 months ago.

Everything with this gm lately sure feels like a day late and a dollar short 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

He can backup whoever we get over the summer.

I don't think we're getting anyone over the summer.  There'd be no point in bringing in Allen if we add someone this summer.....we already have Schmid and VV who could play that role, not to mention Daws.

At any rate, this is a fvcking mess now. Allen isn't really an upgrade over anything we have right now.  Literally 4 goalies who are nearlly exactly the same in terms of capabilities - VV, Schmid, Daws, Allen. NONE of those guys are bonafide starters. fvcking garbage roulette of goaltenders. 

3 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Because he’s gonna be the backup next year.

This is Fitz basically telling everyone that he is absolutely NOT doubling down on anyone who suited up to play goal for the Devils this season.  VV's a goner.  Either Schmid or Daws will be in Utica, but probably not both, especially with Poulter in the fold.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 2

The more I think about this deal, the more I like it for what it REPRESENTS.  Fitz is going to go hard after a legit upgrade to be his #1 this offseason.  There's gonna be no Part Deux Status Quo.  We're getting a full turnover, which given how this season went, I think is the right way to go.

3 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

Indeed.  Too high a price for a very average at best goalie. 

He's not going to make 40 games here.  

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

I don't think we're getting anyone over the summer.  There'd be no point in bringing in Allen if we add someone this summer.....we already have Schmid and VV who could play that role, not to mention Daws.

I have news- one of Schmid or Daws will be in Utica; the other will be with another franchise, and VV will be pumping gas. We absolutely will be going after a goalie in the summer, and Allen is next year’s backup. 

• Like 1