GDT: 3/16/24 Devils last last stand @ Coyotes 5:00pm MSGSN

NJDfan1711

I think every last one of us was equally and joyfully surprised with what took place yesterday. Sometimes, or even often, the Devils just don't make much sense. They really had no business winning that game against a very good team, on the road, and they gave up the first goal of the game in 15 goddamn seconds; so the game had all the looks and feels of an utter blowout and massive defeat, yet somehow the team rallied and really was firing on all cylinders.  Contributions from players who were in slumps or quite literally got their first goal or point as a Devil, and a new goalie who stood on his head for 90% of the game. 

The big question now is one that we've asked all season long: can the devils win consecutive games? As sad as it is, even simply winning two in a row has eluded this team way too often this year. Tomorrow's game against the Coyotes on paper is as winnable as you'll ever see one. Momentum should be very high right now, yesterday's game had pretty much something for everyone, so I'm really looking to see the team play with the same attitude and effectiveness.  

Personally, I would start Kahkonen against the Coyotes and give Allen a much deserved two day break, and then start him against what is a better team in Vegas, this way he'll be well rested and eager to build upon his great game from last night, whereby hopefully slamming the door in their face. 

The fellas need to take it one game at a time at this point. Do not look past what's right in front of you.  It's been said ad nauseam that this team is talented. They have as much inmate talent as the top teams in this league.  

We all wrote them off a week or so ago and by all accounts there's still a lot of reason to think that it's simply too little too late, but the fact of the matter is, they could win the next 16 games if they wanted to.  No game on the schedule ahead is already marked as an L. The Oilers won 16 games in a row earlier this season, and the Devils themselves won 13 last season. 

How bad do they want the playoffs?

Let's Go Devils. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

Just touched down in Vegas. LGD. 

Hey man have a blast out there!  Hope you see a win!

• Like 2

7 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

Just touched down in Vegas. LGD. 

Have fun tomorrow.   I’ve heard nothing but good things about games there.   

LGD!   Let’s get our false playoff hopes up again today!!! 

• Like 3

Just now, ButlerBulldog said:

I agree with Jack playing with Holtz, but not with him playing with Timo, who has been highly effective playing with Nico the past few weeks.

Jack and Holtz should be playing with Palat IMO.   Need someone to do the dirty work and dig out pucks for them.   

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Lateralous said:

Jack and Holtz should be playing with Palat IMO.   Need someone to do the dirty work and dig out pucks for them.   

I’m okay with that.  I’d also like to see Nemec on the first power play unit.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, ButlerBulldog said:

I’m okay with that.  I’d also like to see Nemec on the first power play unit.

I wouldn’t mind that.   It feels like 75% of the time we’re saying that it looks like Luke hit the rookie wall, it’s for something he did on the PP

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Lateralous said:

I wouldn’t mind that.   It feels like 75% of the time we’re saying that it looks like Luke hit the rookie wall, it’s for something he did on the PP

And Nemec is at least willing to shoot the puck.  What’s the point of a power play if you’re not going to even try to score?

8 minutes ago, ButlerBulldog said:

I think it involves a lot of standing around and doing nothing.

Doing nothing? Nah. It involves passing the puck back and forth as many times as possible in 2 minutes. It’s not a very fun game. 

Edited by Nicomo
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Doing nothing? Nah. It involves passing the puck back and forth as many times as possible in 2 minutes. It’s not a very fun game. 

You’re right.  I confused the power play with Player #2’s defense.

2 hours ago, Nicomo said:

Bonus points for the Hughes Brothers playing catch. Sometimes it feels like jack wants Luke to shoot but he just passes it back. He needs a confidence boost so he'll start shooting, or something. Maybe Dougie should give him some advice 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Oglethorpe13 said:

Bonus points for the Hughes Brothers playing catch. Sometimes it feels like jack wants Luke to shoot but he just passes it back. He needs a confidence boost so he'll start shooting, or something. Maybe Dougie should give him some advice 

That’s a big reason why I think Luke and Nemec should switch groups, as the latter won’t automatically pass the puck back to Jack.

1 minute ago, Nicomo said:

I hate it. 

I do, too.  Apart from the fact that Jack and Nico play the same position, the reason why it makes sense to split them up is because it maximizes the amount of time for which at least one of them is on the ice.  I can understand putting them together for the end of a close game, but they shouldn’t be linemates otherwise unless it’s on a power play.  Why are the Devils’ coaches—not you, Sarge—so clueless?