2024 Offseason Thread - It’s FINALLY here

The fact that two NHL GM's saw our coaching performance over the course of this year and said " oooo yeah,  we want to get in on that" is staggering.

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

19 minutes ago, njbuff said:

Would anyone want Marner here?

Not really. He's talented for sure, but for the price it'd take I don't think it'd be worth it. I'd rather get a decent goalie and some quality depth pieces. Plus his playoff performance was pretty pitiful. 

Currently the only leaf that interests me would be Bertuzzi, and he's a UFA. He has some talent, but also brings the grit/pest element the devils could use. Could probably make a similar case for Domi, but fvck him.

• Like 2

It's going to cost a lot and it's not what NJD really need. We have talent up front. We need grit or some mix of talent and grit both up front and in the back and a goalie. Marner isn't really fitting that bill.

Posted (edited)
27 minutes ago, njbuff said:

I lean towards no.  The guy can obviously play and does put up numbers, and sometimes guys just need a change of scenery.  But only so much money to go around and the Devils are already paying their share of forwards and will be paying good money for Luke and Nemec before we know it.  And they may have to pay up for a goalie, if they're able to land an established vet.

I touched on it before, but I don't think he's going to command the kind of return the Leafs would like, because his cap hit for 2024-25 isn't light, he's a UFA at the end of the year, and he's getting tagged with the "loser" label.    

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 2

54 minutes ago, Aitchmack said:

Marner also has a full NMC, as does Tavares, who also only has one year left. It'll be interesting to see how creative Toronto will be if they want to significantly re-shape their roster. Although Bertuzzi, Domi and TJ Brodie are all UFAs now which could create $13.5m in cap space, but they'll have to find replacements for them.

IMHO opinion, if Trelieving was smart, he will find the space to re-sign Bertuzzi and Domi. They are playoff performers. Besides Bertuzzi's horrendous start, they were good for TOR. Keeping guys like that will offset what you lose in Marner. They need another dman that they can split time across the top 4 with the same way Boston had one of Lindholm or McAvoy on the ice for the entire series. Preferably a dman that is better than Rielly even. It could be a guy like Adam Larsson who can play top two minutes and but is more defensive minded. Not a great return for Marner obviously, but a player like that would change TOR for the better and he could be cheap. 

• Like 1

Just now, RizzMB30 said:

IMHO opinion, if Trelieving was smart, he will find the space to re-sign Bertuzzi and Domi. They are playoff performers. Besides Bertuzzi's horrendous start, they were good for TOR. Keeping guys like that will offset what you lose in Marner. They need another dman that they can split time across the top 4 with the same way Boston had one of Lindholm or McAvoy on the ice for the entire series. Preferably a dman that is better than Rielly even. It could be a guy like Adam Larsson who can play top two minutes and but is more defensive minded. Not a great return for Marner obviously, but a player like that would change TOR for the better and he could be cheap. 

I definitely think if Marner's moved, people are going to be surprised at the lack of a big return.  But like you said, it's not about trading a star for a star, as much as it changing the team, and not allocating so much money to four players who sure don't appear to be the right mix.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I lean towards no.  The guy can obviously play and does put up numbers, and sometimes guys just need a change of scenery.  But only so much money to go around and the Devils are already paying their share of forwards and will be paying good money for Luke and Nemec before we know it.  And they may have to pay up for a goalie, if they're able to land an established vet.

I touched on it before, but I don't think he's going to command the kind of return the Leafs would like, because his cap hit for 2024-25 isn't light, he's a UFA at the end of the year, and he's getting tagged with the "loser" label.    

No thanks. There was some crazy stat that Marner doesn't have any career playoffs points after a game 4 in a series. 

Leafs fans have been pointing out that he's a perimeter player who needs to be given time and space and he just doesn't get that in the playoffs.

• Like 1

Just now, RizzMB30 said:

No thanks. There was some crazy stat that Marner doesn't have any career playoffs points after a game 4 in a series. 

Leafs fans have been pointing out that he's a perimeter player who needs to be given time and space and he just doesn't get that in the playoffs.

Yeah certain NHLers are "regular season players".  That's why I think in spite of how good his regular season numbers are overall, he's not fetching a big return.  Feels like a lot of people are simply onto him, and what he really is.

Said it elsewhere, but he's the kind of guy a team like the BJs or Flyers sign to long term and big money and feel like they won the offseason.  And then are shocked when sure, he puts up some nice glamour numbers, but somehow the team doesn't drastically improve.

That being said, I think the buy price will be just low enough in asset cost that it will be too tempting for some team to turn down...as long as that team realizes what it's getting, OK.   

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Yeah certain NHLers are "regular season players".  That's why I think in spite of how good his regular season numbers are overall, he's not fetching a big return.  Feels like a lot of people are simply onto him, and what he really is.

Said it elsewhere, but he's the kind of guy a team like the BJs or Flyers sign to long term and big money and feel like they won the offseason.  And then are shocked when sure, he puts up some nice glamour numbers, but somehow the team doesn't drastically improve.

That being said, I think the buy price will be just low enough in asset cost that it will be too tempting for some team to turn down...as long as that team realizes what it's getting, OK.   

He needs a coach that can get him going and show him some of these deficiencies in his game when playoffs roll around. Keefe isn't that guy and my evidence is the last 3-4 years of their playoff experiences. 

Edited by RizzMB30
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, njbuff said:

I like Marner, but no.  The Devils need players who step up in big games, and to this point, he hasn’t been that guy.  Besides, is there anything he brings as a two-way threat that Nico doesn’t?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, njbuff said:

I really hope that the Devils can move on from Siegenthaler. He simply isn’t good.

I give him one more season before I fully give up on him. He looked like garbage this season for sure. But then again, almost all the d looked bad this season.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Oglethorpe13 said:

I give him one more season before I fully give up on him. He looked like garbage this season for sure. But then again, almost all the d looked bad this season.

He really hasn't been that good as a Devil. The sooner they move on from him, the better.

No disrespect to you. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, njbuff said:

He really hasn't been that good as a Devil. The sooner they move on from him, the better.

No disrespect to you. 

I understand your perspective, and I'm not too far off from it. I guess I'm just more willing to give him a very slight pass for last season. He had a decent season when he was paired with Hamilton, but if he plays like this past season I'm all for cutting ties with him. Let one of the young guys take his spot or make a move. 

The coaching change could make a huge difference.

No disrespect was felt, bud. Everyone has their opinions. Part of why I enjoy this board.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

The thing that’s funny about Green is that even though in-season coaching changes don’t always work long-term, they can often lead to a temporary early surge…say, an 8-2 run or something like that. Green didn’t even give the Devils THAT.

He couldn’t even win with decent goaltending and Timo going on a terror. 

• Like 3
  • Angry 1

What do you guys realistically and honestly, in your opinion think our defense looks like next year?  Are we making Marino expendable, will Hatakka or Casey( just signed his ELC ) make big jumps, add another veteren not named Brendan Smith. 

I’d say it’s pretty set with Dougie, Luke, Nemec, Marino, Siegenthaler, Bahl (ugh). Wouldn’t mind Colin Miller back as the 7th. If it was up to me the only guys I’d pencil in as locks would be Dougie, Luke, Nemec, and Marino. But unfortunately I think we’re stuck with the other two. Hopefully the new coaches can at least make them serviceable as a bottom pair. 

• Like 3

I wouldn't hate it if they gave DeSimone another shot as a depth dman. He did much better than I think most assumed he would, even if he barely played. I think I can only recall one "wtf were you thinking" play he made, as opposed to the regular blunders by Bahl, Smith, or Siegs. Almost think that Hatakka should get that role, though

I'm hesitant to throw Casey in the mix just yet, unless he makes a strong case for himself in training camp. As great as Luke and Nemec were, we all saw how having too many rookie dman can turn out.

As for UFAs, I'd need to take a look at who's available. Would be nice to have a shutdown guy who can throw the body

• Like 2