Coyotes players informed of pending move to Utah

RunninWithTheDevil

Meruelo is an a$$hole, didn’t really put forth true efforts to keep the team in AZ. Never tried to counter the misinformation surrounding the bid to keep the team local but move to Tempe. probably knew he could sell, turn a profit and still have a chance for another team in short time.

Glendale sucked so badly to get to: when I was in Phoenix for a few days, it was a stupid Uber ride to the arena (didn’t have the rental) and there is no mass transit to get there.

the arena was already outdated in ‘19. Food wasn’t great, scoreboard was from the 90s.

but the fans gave a crap. And the area around the arena was kinda fun to grab a few drinks and get a good buzz going.

a new team and a new arena in an area that isn’t in the middle of nowhere would greatly help.

probably why they’ll get a chance to get a team in the next 5 years if they actually get land and an arena.

Reactivate means they'd keep the team in Utah and then expand and have a 33rd team in AZ?  I hate that idea. League is arguably too big already, to me 30 was good, 32 is alright. Anything beyond that is  too many. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NJDfan1711 said:

Reactivate means they'd keep the team in Utah and then expand and have a 33rd team in AZ?  I hate that idea. League is arguably too big already, to me 30 was good, 32 is alright. Anything beyond that is  too many. 

I used to be a “no more teams” but idk, I love the idea of new markets, growing the game and having more people all around (teams/fans/players/etc)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NJDfan1711 said:

I agree with you, but they are definitely expanding to 34. Those expansion fees are big and the owners want more. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, jagknife said:

I used to be a “no more teams” but idk, I love the idea of new markets, growing the game and having more people all around (teams/fans/players/etc)

I think 32 is the perfect number of teams. The NFL has 32; no league should have more teams than the NFL. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

I think 32 is the perfect number of teams. The NFL has 32; no league should have more teams than the NFL. 

I think we’ll get 36 before too long (within 10 years) Atlanta, Phoenix, QC and Houston. Not that I agree with Phoenix getting a second team again so fast, Atlanta will have an ownership group that actually cares about the team.

the NFL will probably follow suit once their owners see the revenue boost. Honestly shocked they haven’t flirted with expansion yet.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, jagknife said:

I think we’ll get 36 before too long (within 10 years) Atlanta, Phoenix, QC and Houston. Not that I agree with Phoenix getting a second team again so fast, Atlanta will have an ownership group that actually cares about the team.

the NFL will probably follow suit once their owners see the revenue boost. Honestly shocked they haven’t flirted with expansion yet.

At some point though, it’s too much. You can’t put a team in every market. But greed is greed and there is no amount of money that is ever enough for these gluttons, so you’re probably right. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

At some point though, it’s too much. You can’t put a team in every market. But greed is greed and there is no amount of money that is ever enough for these gluttons, so you’re probably right. 

Players will keep complaining the season is too long and the league will keep adding more teams. Schedules will only have teams playing division rivals once or twice a season. Real great move for the fan$$$$, ya know?

• Like 3

13 hours ago, jagknife said:

I think we'll see a team in Kansas City, Cincinnati or even Oklahoma City before Quebec City. Hell I'd even say Portland before that one. I just don't think the league wants to go back there and a lot of the players don't want to deal with playing there since it's mainly French speaking, way more so than Montreal.

12 hours ago, devlman said:

I guess Houston wasn’t as ready enough as Utah? Because SLC isn’t a very big market. Houston is massive.

Yeah, that's the part I don't really get.  Is it simply because it's somewhat close?  Otherwise, seems to me Houston or even Quebec would make sense. Hell, maybe even Hartford or Atlanta lol.

4 hours ago, NJDfan1711 said:

Yeah, that's the part I don't really get.  Is it simply because it's somewhat close?  Otherwise, seems to me Houston or even Quebec would make sense. Hell, maybe even Hartford or Atlanta lol.

Houston's proposed ownership group I think said they want expansion, not relocation. Smith, on the other hand, is willing to buy as is and pay over what the yotes are worth (approx $300m more, according to Elliotte Friedman).

• Like 1

Even if Arizona gets a "new" Coyotes team in however many years, is anyone going to get the warm and fuzzies with the same owner hanging around?

Sad is that most feel that is wasn't really lack of fan interest that got the Coyotes to this point (I had almost assumed that had played a role).  Yeah seems more like a Cleveland Browns situation...or maybe even Brooklyn Dodgers?    

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ButlerBulldog said:

Man the woman waving the flag who was crying...that was heartbreaking to see.  

• Like 2