Scott Gomez Seriously Injured

Devils731

Because no one said Gomez was expendable, and no one said they wanted to watch scab hockey over real NHL hockey, except for a select few who want to spite the PA.

If you want to bring up the same tired arguments, create new threads so I don't have to read them.

Edited by Triumph

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

son of a bitch!!! was finnaly getting excited about hockey...

was going to buy tix to all games for alskas v. trenton... nd now this!!!

I friggin hate this sport..

BTW i wish gomer the best, certainly one of the most exciting players int he NHL right now.

that damn fvk*r needs to be banned from hockey.i hope one of the aces breaks his jaw next gm...im so friggin disappointed. i was hoping for an aces-titans series or at least to see the aces win it all with gomez. i hope to god he recovers real quickly and that the injury isnt too bad.

Obviously we all wish Scott all the best in his recovery - and hope top see #23 back on the ice whenever the Devils resume playing...however - and I don't mean to sound cold here, but Gomez took the chance of playing in a minor league circuit and all the risks that were associated with it.

Who knows how this will affect his future earning potential within NHL circles?

Sure I could easily add another get well Scott and how bad I feel message to this thread...on the other hand I'm not surprised and my thoughts are centered on Gomez and if he now feels that playing in the rinky dink ECHL was worth the gamble that he took?

Oh, BTW...Get well soon Scotty.

Obviously we all wish Scott all the best in his recovery - and hope top see #23 back on the ice whenever the Devils resume playing...however - and I don't mean to sound cold here, but Gomez took the chance of playing in a minor league circuit and all the risks that were associated with it.

Who knows how this will affect his future earning potential within NHL circles?

Sure I could easily add another get well Scott and how bad I feel message to this thread...on the other hand I'm not surprised and my thoughts are centered on Gomez and if he now feels that playing in the rinky dink ECHL was worth the gamble that he took?

Oh, BTW...Get well soon Scotty.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

dude,injuries are part of any league. this could have easily happened in the nhl as well.

Agreed...you'll get no argument from me on that.

I am just pointing out - and reminding that there is a risk and a reward with each and every decision one makes.

Unfortunately for Gomer, the risk part of the equation by playing ECHL hockey turned out to be a major bummer.

(This from TSN)

Scott Gomez breaks pelvis in ECHL game

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?ID=121922&hubName=nhl

gomez_7078.jpg

TSN.ca Staff

4/18/2005

It's what NHL general managers feared during the lockout - a serious injury to one of their players who had found work elsewhere.

Alaska Aces leading scorer Scott Gomez suffered a broken pelvis in an overtime loss to the Bakersfield Condors in Game 4 of the EHCL playoffs on Saturday.

The NHL all-star and New Jersey Devils restricted free agent was headed back to his bench when the Condors' Ashlee Langdone slammed him awkwardly into the open gate.

Aces coach Davis Payne said prospects are good for a full recovery but like any broken bone, it needs time to heal. Payne, however, was not impressed with Langdone's actions.

''It's one thing to play that type of hockey, to finish your checks, to check hard, punch, slash and facewash people from behind,'' Payne said to the Anchorage Daily News. ''But it's another thing to take a premium superstar who did everyone in the game of hockey a favour by coming here and hit him like that.

''It's absolutely disgraceful."

Pshaw. Never happen. You TRY to get back at a guy and you're the one that gets the double-minor in return.

(1) I'm not for an eye for an eye because vigilante justice doesn't always end in justice. See the Bertuzzi/Moore incident. Bertuzzi was trying to get back at Moore for what was deemed an infraction against Naslund. Moore ends up with a broken neck. Vigilante justice is dangerous and that's why we don't allow it in the general populace.

(2) As for "Old School" I still can't figure out why Bobby Clarke can walk after what he did to Kharlamov. Even in the "Old School" days, some saw better than to take an eye for an eye.

(3) Pft. As the Condor's coach I wouldn't care if I lost Langdone for the season.. or the next two seasons... the further in the playoffs you go, the less you need your fighters. I'd trade off my goon for Gomez anyday.

The three goals in professional sports are, in no particular order: Winning, Winning and Winning.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

So Don its Ok to hurt someone if you are trying to win, but no Ok if you are not trying to win???

Sound like a ridiculus argument tome!!!

red: The difference is that I'm not the Condor's coach. I, Don, am not trying to win anything. As someone outside the coaching profession, I think that BOTH vigilante justice AND attempts to injure of star players is wrong.

But if I WERE a coach and my JOB was to WIN AT ALL COSTS, my point of view would change. Perhaps in both cases. I can see why a coach (I'm not saying this was the case here, but it was in Clarke's case) would order a player to take out a star player. By the rules that are currently in place, taking a player out HELPS you to win, so you do it.

Checking out the TSN Your Call today, I'm not sure what to think. The majority of the comments seem to go in the direction of "oh boo-hoo...I don't feel sorry for him, now a guy who actually makes his living playing in the ECHL can play instead of a semi-talented NHL player." Granted, most of these comments seem to come from Leafs fans, but I think it's a little extreme to be saying Gomez "got what he deserved." That's just stupid. Someone even called Gomez an idiot.

Well, I think Gomez is in a different boat than most of the guys. This is the only time in his whole career where he can be a star *IN* Alaska.

I think motivation has a lot to do with why I don't like the guys going to play elsewhere.

Most of the posters on TSN hate the Devils and Devil players.... check out the articles even when the ultra-likeable Brodeur says something about reducing goalie equipment....

Well, I think Gomez is in a different boat than most of the guys. This is the only time in his whole career where he can be a star *IN* Alaska.

I think motivation has a lot to do with why I don't like the guys going to play elsewhere.

Most of the posters on TSN hate the Devils and Devil players.... check out the articles even when the ultra-likeable Brodeur says something about reducing goalie equipment....

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah, I've noticed that as well. I used to post on TSN myself but I've pretty much given up...everytime someone figures out I'm a Devils fan, they lash out at me for no good reason.

Well he left on crutches yeah? That sounds not so bad .. maybe it's just a hairline fracture. It'll hurt like a son-of -a-bitch :saddevil: but should mend fully -- how long it takes to mend and then how long rehabbing it :noclue: I don't know -- no matter what it really stinks for Gomez.

As for hockey etiquette. Well just always be ready to engage in fistacuffs on any face-off. No hits of retribution and only ONE goon in charge of "payback" brawl. most of all though -- Win one (Championship) for the Gomer!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah, I've noticed that as well. I used to post on TSN myself but I've pretty much given up...everytime someone figures out I'm a Devils fan, they lash out at me for no good reason.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It's jealousy, that's all it is. Most of them are bitter Leaf fans that can't handle all the success our team has had while they still have to deal with 1967. fvck 'em. After the Rags and Flyers, I hate the Leafs next.

Checking out the TSN Your Call today, I'm not sure what to think. The majority of the comments seem to go in the direction of "oh boo-hoo...I don't feel sorry for him, now a guy who actually makes his living playing in the ECHL can play instead of a semi-talented NHL player." Granted, most of these comments seem to come from Leafs fans, but I think it's a little extreme to be saying Gomez "got what he deserved." That's just stupid. Someone even called Gomez an idiot.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

those ppl are idiots.they have no clue about gomers situation.they group him with the jagrs and thorntons over in europe.they dont know he plays for near-squat and has taken no roster spot from someone else. the man just wanted to play and help out his hometown.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It's jealousy, that's all it is. Most of them are bitter Leaf fans that can't handle all the success our team has had while they still have to deal with 1967. fvck 'em. After the Rags and Flyers, I hate the Leafs next.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeesh -- try being a Scott Stevens fan anywhere besides a Devils board... Yeee gads! Even Devils fans rarely came to my aid. It made NO SENSE to me. My mind was blown how supposed hockey fans couldn't say anything even CORRECT about the Devils. It was amazingly frustrating and just.. I just didn't get it -- my mind could not comprehend it. No matter WHAT I had to say about hockey it was summarily dismissed.

I hate being dimissed :rant:

Hockey is so cool. It's so perfect for my stupid state of mind. The violence doesn't work for me as they say but the mind games are great - so straight forward yet subtle... That in and of itself is such an art :wub: Or maybe I just make stuff up in my head while watching... I mean you all see how I can pretend Scott Stevens stuff... sometimes I wonder if I make up all the mental part... :saddevil: ANYHOW...

-- that's why it sucks when morons like Bertuzzi come along thinking they know better...the clown who got Gomez -- he's bush league, yeah? What do we expect - pisses me off and I want his face punched but good but I'm not outraged or surprized. He's stupid. Bertuzzi sheesh -- he's supposed to be smart, a leader, in control, you know? This Langdone moron -- he's probably not got much going on upstairs, you know - not worth seeking retibution on the wastril.

And I think it's proably the same for those message boarders - they're not too bright. If you can write off the Devils without a thought -- you're just not very bright and not a hockey fan, you know? f they can say Gomez deserved what he got -- :blink: It's just dopey. We really all are die hards here - are we just knowledgeable or have the Devils made us so? WHich came first the chicken or the egg :uni: THAT is the question :evil:

of course since we have Don here we know HE is just that hockey brilliant .. but what about the rest of us :unsure:

:unsure: I am babbling and being weird aren't I.... uh oh.... Medication time -- Medication time Mr. McMurphy.

Edited by Darwindog

I posted this over at hfboards.com. I was told that they weren't sure if it was broken or not sunday afternoon.

It is fractured not broken they didn't get the results until I think it was saturday night or early sunday he had to go through a cat scan I believe it was to see what was wrong. He is walking with a cane and should be out 3-6 weeks I think his dad said it was. Somebody in the devils org (probably Lou) told gomez he has to quit because he doesn't want him to get hurt again. His dad was on a morning radio show and said that so it looks like his aces career is over for now atleast. it is a good thing langdone didn't come up because he probably would have been jumped by a few different people they added security to the arena also it's almost like a scene from slapshot. about an hour and a half ago there was about 700 tickets still available but they were going fast.

Edited by sandman441

Girard got a broken pelvis a month or something before the 2003-2004, and i think he just started walking around the end of last season. I forget if he's fully healed or not, but i remeber him not being able to play all last season.

although girard got injured in a car crash, so thats way different probably...

i wish gomer the best of luck

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Girard shattered his pelvis, so i would look at his case as an extreme. Hopefully for Scott, this is nowhere near that bad.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Doesn't matter 18...broken or shattered...ready in Sept/Oct for training camp and a season...I doubt it...if he does then he runs the risk of one hit and bye bye pelvis :o

at least on the bright side he has until Septemeber/October (in theory) to fully heal from this right ?? Most broken bones are healed well before this... of course this one is in a particular difficult and critcal place to heal I'd think.... but hopefully he's all good for camp (if there is one)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This would be different that a typical broken bone...the pelvis is the most weight bearing area of the body...it is the center of gravity so to say...move a tad the wrong way and welcome squished disc, hello pinched nerve...you treat one and you aggravate the other... disk/nerve wants knee above waist when sitting and pelvis wants it below...been going thru this for months now...poor Gomer :evilcry: