Stevens Officially Retires

I must say for me this is a very sad day. I have always loved and respected the way Scotty played the game and led this team. I feel as though the identity of our favorite club is gone the heart of the organization has been ripped out, leaving the Devils exposed to the rest of the NHL as just another team. With Scotty's departure. the Devils are no longer a "Beast in the East." I will continue to wear my Stevens jersey proudly and if the organization does not retire his number I will lose alot of respect for Lou. That's all I can say. :(:(

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We're not a beast in the east without Nieds. We're not a beast in the east without Stevens. We are still a beast in the east as long as we have Marty are the sentiments we will hear regarding our team.

As long as the Devils have Lou, I expect us to be a beast in the east. As long as the Devils play with the heart that the Maddens, Brylins, Eliasi, Langenbrunners, Pandos and the like do, I expect us to be a beast in the east. I expect us to be there someway somehow. We didn't always win when we had all the tools at our disposal, and I expect some setbacks. But we will be a force to reckon with.

Definitely Definitely Definitely an era has ended. But the classy Devils will skate on... and well.

Stevens has been my favorite player in all of professional sports as well as one of the people I most admire since I first knew what hockey was...I can't say that this is a surprise but I always held out hope that he would be back...its just wanting to see your childhood idol like that, a hero in your eyes, live on forever...the Devils have given me things that I can't even really describe properly...the kinds of things that only someone who has been down at rock bottom sometime and lived vicariously through a group of men working as hard as they can to accomplish one single goal, working as one unit, giving it their all day in and day out...who represent where you come from and who you are...who represent the kind of spirit and drive and determination you wish you had yourself...and Stevens has carried this attitude, this team on his back for as many years as I have watched him...he has been an inspiration and as insane as it may sound, without following him and the team he has led all these years I don't believe I would be the same person as I am now...I wish you the best Scott Stevens and thank you for everything, all the Stanley Cups, all the acclaim and the leadership and all the things that these words fail to express properly...while the Devils and the NHL will move forward, for as long as I follow hockey, if anybody ever asks me who the captain is I'll say "Scott Stevens"....

Edited by Akuma

From Coffey's article:

"Ironically, Stevens never won the Norris Trophy as the NHL's top defenseman, a quirky anomaly for a player of his stature."

Forget "anomaly", its a flat-out disgrace. I forget who suggested it, but the Scott Stevens Award for best defensive defenseman is a great idea, and the least the league can do to make it up to Scott.

I had been holding out hope that he would return for one more season and go out like he deserves, but if he doesn't think he's got anything left, I have to respect that.

Thanks for everything and best of luck to the greatest defenseman of all time.

I figured this was coming since NEverson said Stevens was probably coming back. We all know that whatever NEverson says, expect the opposite. Once again, we are proved right!!

If Stevens' heart and mind weren't in it then there was no point in him coming back. Better to remember him when his heart, mind and body were fully engaged in being #4 for the Devils than in seeing him come back when he had mentally moved on. And since he IS retiring I am glad for his sake he has moved on. So many of these guys can't and it isn't a good situation. I wouldn't want Stevens to end up that way.

I am forever glad that Lou won that compensation case and that #4 arrived in NJ. It was a priviledge to watch him and to get to enjoy the outcome of his talent and leadership over the years. Thanks for everything, and enjoy retirement!!

Sue, how could Stevens have comeback anyway? The Devils had zero room for him. I just don't get it at all.

This was the player who made the Devils the franchise they were. Stevens didn't go out on his own terms.

I think there was pressure from the Devil organization for him to announce it. Look at their cap. They would have been screwed completely if he decided to comeback.

Why would he train so hard for over a year if he wasn't coming back? I don't buy it. Stevens probably would have loved to return for one more year.

And for all those who will point to the quotes. Sometimes, things aren't always as they seem.

Derek, Lou would have made room. Lou always said there was room for Stevens. They are far more screwed w/o him then they'd ever be with him. Stevens went out on HIS own terms, no doubt about it. If Stevens didn't want to retire, there were 29 other teams that would've welcomed his services.

Stevens didn't go out on his own terms.

I think there was pressure from the Devil organization for him to announce it. Look at their cap. They would have been screwed completely if he decided to comeback.

Why would he train so hard for over a year if he wasn't coming back? I don't buy it. Stevens probably would have loved to return for one more year.

And for all those who will point to the quotes. Sometimes, things aren't always as they seem.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Niiiiiiiiiiiiiice Derek. Written like the caring and sensative poster you are.

Dude, have you never been mellow?

Sue, how could Stevens have comeback anyway? The Devils had zero room for him. I just don't get it at all.

This was the player who made the Devils the franchise they were. Stevens didn't go out on his own terms.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This is not true at all.

Stevens had almost a full year to decide whether or not he wanted to come back to the NHL. He had plenty of time to sign here before Daniel McGillis.

If it came down to money, Lou's not going to mess up his salary cap situation for sentimentality. Stevens had concussion problems and he's not worth more than 1.5 million in this system, at forty-one years of age.

Why did Stevens train hard? Because he'll train hard regardless of whether or not he wants to play in the NHL.

And if Scott does want to play NHL hockey, there's plenty of other teams that would give him a shot.

I guess because Stevens didn't take three years to REALLY decide to retire like Messier and stick around and suck it up on the ice, it must mean he didn't decide it himself and really was dumped by Lou. ;)

Kidding of course, but come on! I see this as somewhat of a Stevens dedication, no need to tarnish it right now -- a hockey great is hanging up the skates, we shouldn't be worrying about any drama that may or may not surround such a monumental decision.