Devs May Opt to Let Brylin Go

Don

http://www.nypost.com/sports/devils/27874.htm

September 9, 2005 -- Someone or two or three will have to go, and no one is volunteering.

Sergei Brylin, the last of the Devils' three-Cup skaters, hopes he isn't among the first of their salary-cap sacrifices. Jeff Friesen hopes the same, as does Viktor Kozlov.

Even before training camp opens next week, there's an unwelcome undercurrent among the Devils. Counting Patrik Elias' likely hepatitis-delayed $4.18 million salary assessment, Lou Lamoriello is some $5 million over the $39 million salary cap.

Finally above the league average at a discounted $1.6 million, Brylin's contract could work against him.

"I've been here 11 years. If they decide to move me somewhere else, it wouldn't be the best thing for me," the 31-year-old Brylin said this week. "I'm trying not to let it get into my head."

Lamoriello can be expected to pull some rabbit from this cap, using long-term injury write-offs, or even two-way contract demotions. But that doesn't seem enough. Kozlov, who also says he wants to stay, will earn $1.7 million, Friesen $2.2 million, and all three ($5.5 million) represent the magic number.

"I plan on being here," said Friesen, 29. "Obviously they have to get under the cap.

"I'm sure it's going to come down to who looks good in camp. Now you have to make the team. It's a lot different than it was before."

It was suggested that Lamoriello could try to deal one of his summer signees, but the Devils likely outbid other teams for them, and finding someone to pay more than they were willing to in July seems doubtful.

It may reach such a situation that the Devils will have to give a draft pick with a player, receiving nothing in return, to have the salary taken off their hands.

How soon they forget. Veterans camp hasn't officially begun, but it appears Vladimir Malakhov will wear the No. 27 worn by Scott Niedermayer.

"It would have bothered me to see Ken Daneyko's number, or Scott Stevens' given out. But Nieder made his own choice to leave," said Martin Brodeur, who joined the vets' informal workouts yesterday.

Coach Larry Robinson didn't sound so likely to make Stevens an assistant coach.

"I doubt it very much," he said. "We'd love to have him, but to have another person on the ice I don't think is really necessary."

*phew* I was worried that Brylin might be one shipped out. I'm relieved I don't have to worry about that anymore.

I agree with the 27 issue. #3 and #4 can't be touched. #27 is free for the taking.

Who is replacing Bobby Carpenter? Couldn't Stevens temporarily take that job? I'd love to keep him active in the team. And we've got a job that needs filling called "Special Assignment's Coach" whatever the heck that is.... :P

It may reach such a situation that the Devils will have to give a draft pick with a player, receiving nothing in return, to have the salary taken off their hands.

---That is scarry I hope Lou can get somthing in return even if it's late picks.

"It would have bothered me to see Ken Daneyko's number, or Scott Stevens' given out. But Nieder made his own choice to leave," said Martin Brodeur, who joined the vets' informal workouts yesterday.

---I agree with Marty Sorry neids but it was your call...

Friesen actually makes a good point - though I think he's gone either way by the time Elias returns - Lou might wait till after camp to make a deal (though he has to make at least one by October 1) since technically he could still get by for a while with Elias on IR.

If there's three guys Lou absolutely will not trade it's Marty, Madden and Brylin.

A few guys common sense say won't be traded: Rafalski, Malakhov, McGillis, Matvichuk, Mogilny because none's played a game for the Devils and with the exception of Matvichuk all were signed this year; it's kind of odd to trade someone before they've ever played a game.

It's kind of useless to speculate what Lou will or won't do since we don't know how far above the cap he actually is. If Lou's two million over the cap, he'll move Friesen when Elias is ready to return and that'll be it. If Lou's at five million it becomes trickier. Then I could actually see him moving a White (as much as I didn't earlier this summer, that was before Lou signed Mogilny, and he does have Hale and Brown to plug in :P), a Kozlov, maybe a Marshall to save a little more change.

I think if Lou makes a deal that will shock most of us (as much as I'd hate it) it'd be Gomer, depending on whether Parise's ready and Lou thinks Gomer will walk in two years. Cause really I can't see the top two centers for the Devils being sub-6' for the next ten years.

Edited by Hasan4978

Lou likes the numbers game.... remember how fast he assigned #16... to Rupp... who from a distance looked like a$$Holik.

When Nieds' picture came of the Devil's website like 30 seconds after he signed with Ana... I knew Lou was pissed.

Nieds has thrown away his legacy here to some extent... his number will never hang in the rafters... this assures it...

How unfortunate for the fans.

And as for (N)Єverson's conjecturing, he needed to fill space... this article says nothing that everyone on the planet who follows the Devils already didn't know... he put Brylin's name in the first sentence to spice it up.

When was the last time Lou traded away a loyal soldier?... ok maybe once with Rolston.

---That is scarry I hope Lou can get somthing in return even if it's late picks.

(N)(N)Єverson's a moron. You have to send something in return, even if it's a last-round pick five years from now.

(N)(N)Єverson assures Brylin stays---BAD SIGN coming from the man who is always wrong (eg "Stevens ready to play this year", etc.).

Dam, your right...bye Sergei...

I think you guys misunderstood my humour. My subtitle means BY VIRTUE OF (N)Єverson SAYING THAT BRYLIN MAY GO, that assures us that BRYLIN IS STAYING.

I say 3,4,30 are locks for the rafters

IMO 22 and 27 should be as well

Nieds won 3 cups, a Norris and will have played here longer than anywhere else.

What else should he have done. Don't get me wrong though, he's on the S list for a long while

Lemieux won 2 cups and a conn smyth. That should be enough.

What do you'all think about MacLean's #15?

I lean twords no # reitre, but a Devils hall of famer for sure.

First things First - if Sarge is shipped out, I'm watching the AHL this year.

As for number retirements - no way in hell will we retire Mac's number. I honor him for everything he did for the organization.. but he requested to be traded... loyalty?

I see #3, #4, and #30 as locks.. as for my own fantasy.. #44 woulda been nice. Nobody that has ever donned the red-and-black enjoyed playing for NJ more than Stephane Richer.

Edited by jbech

We've debated this 1,000 times before, but why not 1,000 times more...

MacLean felt that he was being treated like sh!t by the organization. He wasn't getting any PP time and his ice time over-all was being cut. He felt that he could contribute more, but the coaching staff wouldn't let him.

This wasn't about money. This was about being able to contribute. He had always been a leader and you don't lead from the bench. He told Lou he was unhappy. Lou said he would see what he could do. Time passed and nothing was done. John then told Lou directly that he wanted more ice time or a trade. Time passed and nothing was done. Then John went public and forced the issue.

Fans seem to condemn a player for being dis-loyal even when they are being treated poorly. I can't tell you how many people have said "He was under contract and therefore should have done whatever role the coaching staff wanted from him." But if I sign a contract with someone to write a software program over the next 6 months and I show up the first day and they hand me a mop, I'm not going to stick around.

First things First - if Sarge is shipped out, I'm watching the AHL this year. 

As for number retirements - no way in hell will we retire Mac's number.  I honor him for everything he did for the organization.. but he requested to be traded... loyalty?

I see #3, #4, and #30 as locks.. as for my own fantasy.. #44 woulda been nice.  Nobody that has ever donned the red-and-black enjoyed playing for NJ more than Stephane Richer.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Another Richer fan!!! :evil:

Welcome aboard.

Niedermayer's number being retired? You guys have got to be kidding. You don't get a number retired for playing 7 inconsistent seasons, 2 very good ones, and one great one.

It's not even close. While Niedermayer is right now the best defenseman in the league, he's got a long way to go to make it to the Hall of Fame.

Retiring numbers has to be a lot more than a couple of Cups and a Conn Smyth.

3, 4, 30. These are franchise numbers. 27 could have been, but that's gone.

When I think of Lemieux, I think of a guy going wherever he could to win.

MacLean is probably not under consideration at all. A Devils' Hall of Fame, sure. Retiring the number, hmmm, nope.

He's a very all-or-nothing guy, ain't he? When I saw him in Tampa, he just would not sign a photo of him in a Rangers jersey. If he's on a team, he's on it until the paycheck runs out.