OGT: Maple Leafs @ DEVILS!

overtime98

Overall, the Devils just had too many turnovers and let the Leafs dictate after the early minutes. Klee is your Ozolinsh. He is awful. Why do they insist on playing him over Lukowich?

i asked the same question of john hennessey and randy valishek before the game vs. boston.

hennessey's retort to when I asked why luko was scratched; "because he's awful." when i questioned the wisdom of putting tommy back in instead of benching klee, hennessey's retort was "tommy wasn't a minus-4 in the press box. luko was."

later i asked randy his take and he agreed that klee should sit over any of them.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i asked the same question of john hennessey and randy valishek before the game vs. boston.

hennessey's retort to when I asked why luko was scratched; "because he's awful." when i questioned the wisdom of putting tommy back in instead of benching klee, hennessey's retort was "tommy wasn't a minus-4 in the press box. luko was."

later i asked randy his take and he agreed that klee should sit over any of them.

Lukowich had a nightmare game against Atlanta but I don't get why Klee's allowed to stink it up game after game (granted he was okay the other night and not visibly sucky tonight) while Lukowich gets chained to the doghouse essentially for one bad night. I'm sort of tempted to think there's more to it, like Lou maybe being mad that Lukowich was trying to be too offensive and punishing him for not being a team player, there almost has to be a hidden reason here cause it is strange.

And if he's going to bench people for one bad game then why not bench Wiemer for his game against Atlanta? Or bench pretty much the whole D and Marty since they all stunk tonight.

Edited by NJDevs26

Just got home from the game and tailgate... another windy and a little cold tailgate, is spring ever going to get here?

Aggrevating, Fusterating, stressful, that sums it up...... All we can do is look ahead and try and win some games this week... really no choice in the matter.

Just got home from the game and tailgate... another windy and a little cold tailgate, is spring ever going to get here?

Aggrevating, Fusterating, stressful, that sums it up...... All we can do is look ahead and try and win some games this week... really no choice in the matter.

For the sake of the team and the fans...retire as the game thread starter. A shame to since you have great information too.

Edited by devilsrule33

One point also on the Leafs. They were down two men twice and the Devils had already capitalized to get within one. Wouldn't you think that Pat Quinn would take a timeout to rest his penalty killers? That's about as bad a coaching job as possible. Amazing that he didn't get burned for it.

Derek, gotta TOTALLY disagree with that one... I was sitting in my normal seats with ESB tonight, and I was begging and SCREAMING and PLEADING with Quinn to take the time out because we only have 5 offensive players on the whole damn team and they needed ANY kind of break they could get at that point (Quinn knew that too... hell the last shift of the game was SIX FORWARDS ON THE ICE... when do the Devils EVER get that crazy ?? They just ran outta gas and you saw it when the zone got cleared... game was over... Langs killed himself to stop the empty netter

but this is what they are, just kinda sorta good enough to make you think they can scare anyone now

I can't argue with that, however I do think the goals are coming really soon. Every game they seem to be creating more offensive chances and putting pressure on the defense. Also they seem to have some chemistry brewing.

I can't disagree. They have decent chemistry but the finish is missing and the Devils are running out of time.

I cannot believe a mediocre AHL goalie beat us, that's just not acceptable... :argh:

A lot of people on this board and I can. :blink:

That definitely qualifies as the WTF comment of the day. We've had Hennessey on our show and he's a nice guy but come on! One brutal game and the guy sits out twice? He is not as bad as Klee.

These last few losses have been so damn painful to watch. Such roller coaster losses, with it looking like we are going to come back and tie/win the game and then having the opponent put one in our net and change our fortunes. Painful painful stuff. Winning the HUGE games this week will be all the sweeter now. All the games from this point can be considered HUGE.

Derek, gotta TOTALLY disagree with that one... I was sitting in my normal seats with ESB tonight, and I was begging and SCREAMING and PLEADING with Quinn to take the time out because we only have 5 offensive players on the whole damn team and they needed ANY kind of break they could get at that point (Quinn knew that too... hell the last shift of the game was SIX FORWARDS ON THE ICE... when do the Devils EVER get that crazy ?? They just ran outta gas and you saw it when the zone got cleared... game was over... Langs killed himself to stop the empty netter

but this is what they are, just kinda sorta good enough to make you think they can scare anyone now

Very fair post Crasher. From watching it, it looked like they had the Leafs penalty killers on the ropes. And they looked tired. But I can see your vantage point. Either way, you certainly can't say they didn't generate quality chances. Langenbrunner and Gionta came so close. Sometimes, it's just not your night. Plus for whatever reason, the Leafs owned them this season.

Very fair post Crasher. From watching it, it looked like they had the Leafs penalty killers on the ropes. And they looked tired. But I can see your vantage point. Either way, you certainly can't say they didn't generate quality chances. Langenbrunner and Gionta came so close. Sometimes, it's just not your night. Plus for whatever reason, the Leafs owned them this season.

It was a close thought, but I think weighing the option of rotating penalty killers (which Quinn did) and letting the Devils just burn out to death their lone offensive players (I could only imagine how low the energy bar would be on them in NHL 06 :P)... well obviously he did the right thing cause it WORKED, but it seemed like the right thing on the fly, cause if I could see they were sucking wind from 16 rows up in 216, I'm sure even Fat Quinn saw it too... it was just DAMN painful to watch

(still makes me wish we had kept Hrdina, and I was saying that at the time too... he was so totally what this team coulda used this year)

They were also pretty bad on faceoffs.. any key faceoff seemed to end up on a Leaf stick

It was a close thought, but I think weighing the option of rotating penalty killers (which Quinn did) and letting the Devils just burn out to death their lone offensive players (I could only imagine how low the energy bar would be on them in NHL 06 :P)... well obviously he did the right thing cause it WORKED, but it seemed like the right thing on the fly, cause if I could see they were sucking wind from 16 rows up in 216, I'm sure even Fat Quinn saw it too... it was just DAMN painful to watch

(still makes me wish we had kept Hrdina, and I was saying that at the time too... he was so totally what this team coulda used this year)

They were also pretty bad on faceoffs.. any key faceoff seemed to end up on a Leaf stick

Well, I felt they should have kept Hrdina over Kozlov. And Hrdina wouldn't have been a waste cause he doesn't disappear and is interchangeable.

Regarding the draws, Madden won a couple off Sundin. The Leafs just hustled after them.

You know, if I was the coach of this team, I'd be getting physically sick from the stress and quit for the sake of my health.

Hey where have i heard that before........ :whistling:

Well, I felt they should have kept Hrdina over Kozlov. And Hrdina wouldn't have been a waste cause he doesn't disappear and is interchangeable.

Regarding the draws, Madden won a couple off Sundin. The Leafs just hustled after them.

Hrdina has done almost less than Kozlov this season. Considering Kozlov's shootout prowess and how many penalties he's drawn, the argument can almost be made that Kozlov's had a better season.

Devils had to gamble to be successful. Hrdina was not a gamble - he was a sure thing for 15 goals and 25 assists. Not really good enough for a 2nd line center.

For the sake of the team and the fans...retire as the game thread starter. A shame to since you have greta information too.

If the Devils lose the next game, i wont start another game thread. ;)

Based on what? Insanity?

You must have missed the game and the two goals that I think Marty should have stopped. I realize as other did that there was a defensive breakdown last night again, but Marty has to stop some of these.

Clemmy won and deserved a chance to come back the team played well with him in goal unlike what's been going on with Marty in goal.

If we have a difference of opinion regarding Marty's play last night then it's best we choose to differ. BTW many fans aren't speaking fondly about Marty play in case you missed that as well.