Re-signing Elias

DevilsFan

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=164652&hubname=nhl

WEST ORANGE, N.J. (AP) - The cost of negotiating with Patrik Elias skyrocketed in the first round of the NHL playoffs.

Elias single-handedly outscored the Rangers 5-4 and matched a Devils' single-round playoff record with 11 points in leading New Jersey to an opening-round sweep over their archrivals.

Not only did the performance boost Elias' image and asking price heading into free agency in the off-season, but it proved the 30-year-old Czech has recovered from a bout of hepatitis-A that caused him to miss the first three months of the regular season.

Elias is not concerned about a new contract just yet.

"It's going to be an issue obviously," said Elias, who spent the past two days hiking and relaxing. "It's going to be on my mind when the time is right. Not right now. I am just happy that I can play."

A little more than a year ago, Elias' career was in question. He picked up the more serious type of hepatitis while playing in Russia during the NHL lockout, and it took him a long time to recover from the energy-sapping illness.

"I feel fine," said Elias, whose enzyme levels are still a little elevated. "I feel good. I have no problems. There are a lot of people who don't know they have elevated enzyme levels."

Elias, who didn't play in a game until Jan. 3, was limited to 38 games in the regular season. What is important to note is that his return sparked the team, helping it rally from a 19-point deficit to win the Atlantic Division on the final day of the regular season.

New Jersey's season-ending 11-game winning streak - which has now reached 15 games - started shortly after coach Lou Lamoriello put Elias on a line with Sergei Brylin and Jamie Langenbrunner. Elias had seven of his 16 goals after the switch.

Elias ignited the sweep of the Rangers with a six-point game in the series opener, a contest in which Jaromir Jagr of New York went down with a shoulder injury. The series was never competitive.

"We don't want to pinch ourselves now," Elias said. "We're feeling good about the game we have been playing. We know the series we played, they had a couple of injured guys but that doesn't take anything away from the game we played or what we accomplished."

A member of the Devils' championship teams in 2000 and 2003, Elias believes this team can beat anyone if it continues to play the way it has been.

Goaltender Martin Brodeur said in the old NHL there would be little doubt that Lamoriello, who also the Devils general manager and president, would re-sign Elias.

However, the salary cap that was part of the new collective bargaining agreement might tie Lamoriello's hands.

The cap is $39 million US this year. Many think it will increase next season, but that's uncertain.

Elias signed a one-year $4-million contract before this season. He is looking for a new agent to represent him.

"He really likes to be here," Brodeur said of Elias. "I have talked to him a lot and he's had success learning to play in this organization. He loves to play here, but I had the same feeling about Scott Niedermayer. I never thought he would leave."

One of the league's top defencemen, Niedermayer rejected a Devils' offer and signed with the Mighty Ducks after the new CBA was signed.

Until then, Lamoriello had always found a way to keep his best player.

Lamoriello declined to discuss Elias' upcoming free agency after the Devils returned to practice on Tuesday, following two days off.

"I have been here my whole career," said Elias, whose 33 career playoff goals are one shy of the Devils' mark held by Claude Lemieux. "I have accomplished something here and proved myself in a good position. I have worked hard and gotten an opportunity to succeed, so I'm just happy for that. On the other hand, there are things that can be an issue."

Elias laughed when asked to specify the issues.

Last two sentences bother me. I hope he re-signs with the team

As a Met fan, I thought there was no way in Hell Mike Piazza was going to re-sign with the Mets back in '98. He was getting booed and just didn't look happy. Then almost right after the season ended, he re-upped for seven years. It's impossible to predict these things.

I think Elias is going to leave. Nothing to base that on other than gut feeling. Obviously I hope he stays, but as Niedermayer showed, even a great organization and a generous offer isn't always enough.

Good. Let Elias leave. He's a great player, but other great players will come and go. Let him be a slave to money. Believe me, he will regret it down the road, especially since his life was almost tragically cut short by a disease.

He will never, and I repeat, never have the same success he has experienced in NJ. This, unlesss, the Red Wings make a pitch for him.

I have a strong idea that Patty will entertain offers from the Rags...

Bring in Vrana...he can be our next Patty...

On Lou's side...I'll tell you, if he can't pull off re-signing Patty, he's gonna be viewed as a total failure, especially with the new Newark Arena coming about...

I can't believe you people. Some shmuck with the AP says Patty's looking for a new agent and he provides nothing to back up that statement, and then the shmuck makes a quote from Elias sound ominous when the guy's probably trying to crack a joke (or intentionally mislead the media), and some of you decide to take that completely out of proportion and are writing him off and sticking him in the same category as Holik. You people amaze me.

Edited by RowdyFan42

I'll post what i posted from another thread.....

Funny this is up...I just got through listening to "This Week In Hockey with Matt Laughlin" (a free weekly podcast) it was aired on the 29th of April.....well....i emailed him a question and to my surprise he answered it. Anyway my question was:

Matt,

What is your take on the Elias contract situation? How likely is it he'll re-sign with the Devils? And how long do you think the contract would be and at what price?..... P.S. From all of us Devil fans, tell Lou to give him the "C" already.

My question was the first to be answered...and to paraphrase he said he believes that he will re-sign with the Devils. He loves being a Devil and loves the area. He understands how good the organization is and how well it treats him. Lou also understands how important Elias is to the organization. Of course no talks will be made until after the playoffs but he would see a deal done shortly after. He would guess it would be in the ballpark of 5.5 mill for 3 to 4 years....and he expects the "C" is just a carrot being dangled as part of the signing.....

So once again, I would have to say I have the utmost confidence he will re-sign with the Devs....if not i'm going to be pissed i've gotta change my sig and avatar

EDIT: Here here Rowdy :D I'm completely with you!!!

2ND EDIT: I also forgot to mention that Matt said that Elias doesn't have an agent specifically because the way he handled Elias being sick and him getting back to the CR and to NJ...and Elias praises Lou and the organization for getting him back to NJ.....he also said that Elias is using an attorney instead....

Edited by UnderDogX

I can't believe you people. Some shmuck with the AP says Patty's looking for a new agent and he provides nothing to back up that statement, and then the shmuck makes a quote from Elias sound ominous when the guy's probably trying to crack a joke (or intentionally mislead the media), and some of you decide to take that completely out of proportion and are writing him off and sticking him in the same category as Holik. You people amaze me.

You said it perfectly, Rowdy.

Good. Let Elias leave. He's a great player, but other great players will come and go. Let him be a slave to money. Believe me, he will regret it down the road, especially since his life was almost tragically cut short by a disease.

He will never, and I repeat, never have the same success he has experienced in NJ. This, unlesss, the Red Wings make a pitch for him.

I have a strong idea that Patty will entertain offers from the Rags...

Bring in Vrana...he can be our next Patty...

On Lou's side...I'll tell you, if he can't pull off re-signing Patty, he's gonna be viewed as a total failure, especially with the new Newark Arena coming about...

As Nieds showed, money might have nothing to do with it.

If he leaves, it will sting, but so be it. I root for the NJ crest and what it symbolizes. Players (even the great ones) come and go.

One thing I've noticed regarding a lot of these free-agent departures: As horrible as they seem when they first come down, a lot of organizations wind up recovering, and much more quickly than people would expect. And more than a few big-ticket players don't perform as well in their new surroundings. I think these players sometimes underestimate the value of being comfortable where they are.

New team+big money=huge expectations, new teammates, new coach, new system, new city, unfamiliar territory...all the stuff the press never really talks about.

I could be wrong. I WANT to be wrong. I had this feeling before that article was even written. You don't know any more than I do whether or not he'll be back. Great players don't always stay with the same team. This will be a unique opportunity for Patrik, and he may just decide to go elsewhere.

So instead of jumping down my throat, maybe you should calm down. Obviously come the signing period one of us will be right. I hope it's you.

to be fair, only one person took a negative to elias and it's only if he does leave.

it's weird, but i think elias has more love from fans than any of the guys that left (gilmour, mogilny, holik, neidermayer, etc).

At least sundstrom can read!

Who the hell cares - there'll be plenty of time to discuss this when the season ends.

I'm tired of these articles. Again, if Elias wants to go to a winning team, he will be hard-pressed to find one with that kind of cap room available.

Also, CR76, when Elias gets a brother who plays in the NHL, we'll claim he's like Scott N. I remember Devil fans worried about Brodeur leaving in 1997 - he'll be here until 2011.

Patty is gonna stay guys- I honestly don't even pay any attention to all this sh!t. I never felt that way about Holik. I never felt that way about Nieds. I always thought thety'd both leave at the first opportunity, and the rumors always bugged me. Not this time. Patty is a loyal guy. Lou has been loyal to him, and I think Patty will return that loyalty. Pay the rumors no mind. Patty will remain a Devil- and captain the team into to the Newark era.

If you want to worry about something, worry about how the Devils are going to solve Cam Ward in the next series. Now it could be Montreal's shooting, but right now he 's playing like a brick wall standing on his head. (How's that for a mixed metaphor?)

Elias is here RIGHT NOW and playing very well. Enjoy it! Fret about next year when the Devils stop playing hockey this playoff season!

If you want to worry about something, worry about how the Devils are going to solve Cam Ward in the next series. Now it could be Montreal's shooting, but right now he 's playing like a brick wall standing on his head. (How's that for a mixed metaphor?)

Elias is here RIGHT NOW and playing very well. Enjoy it! Fret about next year when the Devils stop playing hockey this playoff season!

But Rock, you know we, as a board, aren't happy...OK, maybe that doesn't work...let's see, what's a better word...

aren't satisfied (that's better) unless we can worry about more than one thing at a time?

After all, what could lead to those amazing highs and lows that are the bi-polarities of the board if we didn't MULITASK at worrying (and, of course, setting our hearts on things)?

Guest troycrowder25

Honestly, as a life long Devil fan I no longer worry about what player is coming or going, except maybe Brodeur. After Niedermayer left I really thought it would cripple this organization but it looks like I was wrong. This team has lost players like Shanahan,Gilmour,Niedermayer, Verbeek, MacLean, Mogilny etc. and Lou just continues to draft guys to replace them.

If Elias stays I think he'll be named Captain and break all Devil scoring records, regular season and playoffs. If he leaves it'll be his loss and he'll be replaced, maybe by Bergfors or Zajac or maybe by someone we've never even heard of. After this season it's official, I now drink Kool-aid.

But Rock, you know we, as a board, aren't happy...OK, maybe that doesn't work...let's see, what's a better word...

aren't satisfied (that's better) unless we can worry about more than one thing at a time?

How about this board can't stand prosperity?

Edited by Rock

Just to make sure I checked the dictionary. It says properity isn't a word. Ummmm...what?

I think it human nature. You got something good, and you worry about it being stolen. Goes back to apes in a cave.

Edited by Don