very quiet at the arena

officerfarva

Does anyone think that the silent Meadowlands crowd hurts this team sometimes? I'm not trying to make excuses but the Devils had 15 shots against an average Islanders team. If there was 19,040 in attendance tonight and they were making some noise, I think that it would lift the team a little. The Devils fans and players were very flat tonight. I know that they are pros but it has to be deflating playing in front of an empty arena every night.

Yea you're probably right, but shouldn't the players be used to this by now. They shouldn't need the fans for motivation.

I was a little shocked because this was something of a rivalry game, we should have more than 8,000 for the Islanders. Florida, Carolina, Atlanta, Nashville etc I could understand.

Why go out of your way to see a game in the middle of the week in an inaccessible arena by anyone who works reasonable hours, to have to park 50 miles away and freeze my ass off because they tore down our parking lots to make room for a worthless shopping complex I will never spend a dime in, to go eat worse then high school cafeteria level food, to see a team we will play seven other times

and sadly you can proabably get to Uniondale just as painfully as that dump in the swamp nowadays :P

No officer. If you look historically at your team's recent success, they usually fare better at CAA than on the road.

But I don't remember the last time the attendance was 8000-9000, it was always around 12000-15,000 over the years. 8,000 fans with a divison rival has to be deflating for the Devils and scary for ownership.

I'm used to poor attendance but when I saw the number last night I felt sick. If Newark doesn't fix this problem our next stop might be Winnipeg.

But I don't remember the last time the attendance was 8000-9000, it was always around 12000-15,000 over the years. 8,000 fans with a divison rival has to be deflating for the Devils and scary for ownership.

I'm used to poor attendance but when I saw the number last night I felt sick. If Newark doesn't fix this problem our next stop might be Winnipeg.

The ticket prices in Newark are going to be enormously important for the Devils' future success as a franchise. I've never understood why the Devils, who should put expanding the fanbase near the top of their goals as an organ-eye-zation on the business side, charge $90 dollars for the entire lower bowl in an old arena! Madness!

This may sound like I'm a conspiracy theorist but I think there's a part of Lou that was always indifferent to the attendance issues because he could use the poor attendance as leverage in negotiations with the state and other municipalites. I would be hard to rationalize asking the govt. to pony up $ for a new arena when the current one is full. Otherwise I'm just as flummoxed by the lack of mktg. as anyone else.

I think another reason for the indifference--and this is less tangible---in the salad days of 95-2003 this team had a face, identity and personality (Stevens, Daneyko, Neids, McKay) that it just doesn't have today. When you added the heated rivalry with the Rangers that seems to have cooled--it made for much better theatre than this team of mostly people who are here for a cup of coffee and a paycheck. It just doesn't feel the same and its harder to relate to this team. I loved that team but now its a bunch of guys wearing my favorite sweater.

The ticket prices in Newark are going to be enormously important for the Devils' future success as a franchise. I've never understood why the Devils, who should put expanding the fanbase near the top of their goals as an organ-eye-zation on the business side, charge $90 dollars for the entire lower bowl in an old arena! Madness!

The ticket prices are such because the Devils get no revenue anywhere else. Most teams get a cut of the revenue, a cut of the concessions, a cut of the advertising money from signage, etc. The Devils get none of that, so they have to jack up ticket prices just so they can make money. That's another reason why they wanted a new arena, so they could tap into all of those other revenue streams.

The ticket prices are such because the Devils get no revenue anywhere else. Most teams get a cut of the revenue, a cut of the concessions, a cut of the advertising money from signage, etc. The Devils get none of that, so they have to jack up ticket prices just so they can make money. That's another reason why they wanted a new arena, so they could tap into all of those other revenue streams.

If ticket revenue is so critical, then why does it cost THE SAME to sit along the glass as it does to sit in the last row of the lower bowl ?? I'd be willing to bet we have the CHEAPEST on the glass seats in the NHL.....there's no reason they can't charge like $150 for the first 5 rows, and then make stuff more affordable up high.... if the $52 seats were in the mid-forties, I'd consider moving down the section now (of course increase in personal revenues factor into that, but not the point!)

If ticket revenue is so critical, then why does it cost THE SAME to sit along the glass as it does to sit in the last row of the lower bowl ?? I'd be willing to bet we have the CHEAPEST on the glass seats in the NHL

The Flyers also have consistent pricing throughout the lower bowl, so NJ isn't the cheapest by a whopping $1, but based on what I've seen looking at ticket prices around the league, I think you're right about that being the cheapest pricing on the glass. I personally don't mind it since it means I can afford to splurge on a good lower level seat (if available) occasionally, but I think you're right in that it allows some other teams to price some seats up top more reasonably, even in the $10 range. You can get full season tickets in Anaheim on the upper ends for $495. I pay about that amount for only 11 Flyers games in a comparable seat. Yes, supply and demand factor into it, but for every time I drop my jaw to look at the high end pricing of some teams, I'm also amazed by how cheap their low end tickets are.

Comcast-Spectactor owns the team and the arena here, plus they switched the ticketing over this year from Ticketmaster to in-house ticketing, yet the pricing structure between the two arenas isn't that vastly different. Maybe you'll get lucky and the new arena will allow the Devils to change their prices around a bit, but I wouldn't count on having control over other revenue having a big impact.

If ticket revenue is so critical, then why does it cost THE SAME to sit along the glass as it does to sit in the last row of the lower bowl ?? I'd be willing to bet we have the CHEAPEST on the glass seats in the NHL.....there's no reason they can't charge like $150 for the first 5 rows, and then make stuff more affordable up high.... if the $52 seats were in the mid-forties, I'd consider moving down the section now (of course increase in personal revenues factor into that, but not the point!)

The glass seats should be discounted. With the glass distortion of the penalty boxes and benches, those are some of the worst views in the arena. Anyway I digress, this is the obligatory early November attendance woes thread after one really poor attendance game.

I do agree the parking situation is a factor. It is now a hassle to find parking. Getting out is now a hassle. With Giants games, I assume the Jets also, if you park in the same spot week after week, there is a different traffic pattern leaving the stadium every week.

At the Columbus game, I was lucky enough to park in the arena lot. I couldn't get to the lane to get on 120 north. Fine I thought, I'll go through the Giants stadium exit to get where I want to go. They had me drive through the Giants stadium lot completely past the stadium then get on the access road heading back towards the stadium. I managed to get out on Route 3 West. In all the years I've been going there I've never seen that traffic pattern for a Devils game. Yes it was only five minutes longer, but I could see the parking and leaving rigamarole being in the back of someone's mind as they are trying to decide where to spend their entertainment dollars.

Edit: Sorry, I thought this the attendance thread. :doh1: I've felt for years a sparse quiet crowd has contributed to many a slow start at home.

Edited by Rock

I was with a friend last night who doesnt really go to many hockey games.. hardly a fan of the game. And she was sitting there saying how when she sees a game on tv they make it look like the crowds are having so much fun.. they zoom in on people going crazy.. and how now that she was sitting there.. it was so boring.

I tried to explain it was just a bad game to judge it on. It was really quiet... our seciton was like 50% isles fans and there was not an fuin and dancing going on. Not winning doesnt help either. People are more excited when we are kicking ass.

Why go out of your way to see a game in the middle of the week in an inaccessible arena by anyone who works reasonable hours, to have to park 50 miles away and freeze my ass off because they tore down our parking lots to make room for a worthless shopping complex I will never spend a dime in, to go eat worse then high school cafeteria level food, to see a team we will play seven other times

and sadly you can proabably get to Uniondale just as painfully as that dump in the swamp nowadays :P

Well said! though I am a season ticket holder and go to every game, you are right. Traffic was horrible yesterday. Somebody told me it took him 2 and a half hours to get to the game last night from beanardsville!

A whopping 8k fans.....gee, we wouldnt want to alienate that massive bergen county fanbase and move to a brand new arena more accessible to thousands of fans. :rolleyes:

what? yea, let's move the arena further away, in "the hood", where you'll be forced to take public transportation. The Devils fan base has a hard enough time getting to the arena, why make it harder by putting the arena in a less than desirable location?

more accessible to thousands of what? Rangers fans coming in from the city?

what? yea, let's move the arena further away, in "the hood", where you'll be forced to take public transportation. The Devils fan base has a hard enough time getting to the arena, why make it harder by putting the arena in a less than desirable location?

more accessible to thousands of what? Rangers fans coming in from the city?

Yea because you know all those horror stories of riding NJ Transit. :rolleyes:

The Bergenites slay me.

If you don't know the area of the new arena, or haven't been there recently yet assume crap, don't speak.

If you don't know where the bulk of the fanbase is, or you think you do but have no evidence to back it up (unlike Marty and Vanderbeek, MEMBERS of the organization), don't speak.

Yankee, Met and even Ranger/Knick fans from Jersey are "forced" to take mass transit to the city, as they don't mind spending the cash and don't like driving there. Don't believe me? After Game 4 Devils/Rangers, a train bound for Bay Head from NY Penn chock full of Devil fans.

Edited by Marv4Life

Less desirable to who? You? What do you care? You don't watch hockey anyway.

Not even just Game 4.... get on a train to any Devils game at the Garden, and you'll eat your words.

Amen. I took the train from South Orange to MSG last october to see the Devils get smoked 4-1 and it was about 4 Ranger and 40 Devil fans on the train. Once my girlfriend and I passed the two lone Ranger fans in one car, one of them said "Is this a Devils home game we're going to?" If Devil fans are willing to take mass transit to NYC to a hostile building to see their team, what says they won't stay a lot closer and see them in a brand new building that could be the best in the entire league? The freakin' arena will be an attraction in itself. I mean you'll be able to sit down to a nice steak dinner IN THE BUILDING. You'll be able to visit the Devils Hall of Fame, the team store (finally), and God knows what else. The team hasn't been able to draw fans from Bergen county for 25 years now. This is like when a girlfriend dumps you. You don't know what you have until it's gone, and that's what the Bergenites are facing now. Quite honestly, the Meadowlands has been an awful girlfriend and has needed the boot for some time now. I may not be correct, but haven't a ton of people moved further south and west in this state? Aren't there a lot more people down by Freehold and out near Bridgewater than there were in 1982? These people will be closer to Newark. I will be closer to Newark. This has gotten beyond tiresome arguing this.