GDT NEW JERSEY DEVILS @ tampa bay lightning 7pm

Devilish34

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We got a classic Doc-ism tonight to boot!

Lightning player on the semi-breakaway, Devils player poke checks puck away from behind, Lightning player falls, fans boo loudly for a penalty when there obviously is none:

Doc: "Well they are a relatively new franchise"

Best thing I heard all night. Besides the silence after the OT goal, of course.

don we played better against them in the third than in any period of the series - we finally figured out how to beat them. seriously you do realize that their other forwards have like 0 goals, right? their D are pilons and can be forced into turnovers - lou must've figured it out by watching our team flail around.

holmqvist could look like hasek and brodeur like brochu in game 5 - but i think we got a huge lift from this one. killing a penalty right off the bat on OT - generating all sorts of momentum and chances.

i was watching games from out west lately - i mean, the devils in the first three games couldn't've played with those teams. the team that showed up tonight could. and if they play like that at home on friday, we'll probably win that game too.

This is a huge win for the Devils . It has been so easy to concentrate on all the negatives over the last few games but if you really think about it, the Devils have been right there with Tampa this entire series. The players have been saying the same thing and have been getting ripped for it but they know the deal.

Tampa isn't even close to the Devils when it comes to roster depth. Outside of their top 3 big guns who else does this team have? Their defense is average at best and the Devils have been getting good chances in every game so far.

I'll give Tampa credit for the fact that they have shown ability to exploit the Devils defense but I honestly have not been impressed with them at all this series. This game might have been won by only one goal but the Devils were the much better team tonight and they finally got the reward for it.

On a side note, Parise is simply amazing. When all is said and done he might wind up being the best forward who ever wore a Devils sweater. He's that good. He might not have as much skill as a Crosby or Ovechkin but he has so much heart and busts his a$$ every single shift. The Devils have lost some amazing leaders over the last few years but Parise is going to help fill the void.

Edited by SickMan

WOOOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

GOOOOOOOOOMEEEEEEEZZZZZZZZ!!!! :clap::boogie::dance::evil:

Nice goal by Gomez! Yes I said GOMEZ! :evil: he siad he was going to pass it to Gionta for the shot. :doh1: Good thing he shot the puck or we could still be watching Game 4. See when Gomez shoots the puck he has that wicked shot and it is on net! :koolaid:

Parise is the man! 6 goals now which is a new Devils record. :evil: Brodeur was on tonight and two of the three goals was not his fault do to he was screened and didn't see the shot. Brodeur still has to be more sharp in game 5 infront of our hostile crowd that will be on Friday night! Cannot keep giving up 3 goals a game. Matvitchuk played solid and Greene is one hell of a defenseman. This kid is going to be great for the Devils and better than Oduya.

Big win saved their season and now it is a three game series with the Devils having the home ice in two of the three.

LETS GO DEVILS!!!

:gd:

phew.

LOL, 'aint that the truth!! As excited as I was when Gomer scored, I was SOOOOO relieved. What a win!! WOOOOOOOO!!!!!

According to NHL.com the 3 stars of the game were:

#1 Gomez

#2 St louis

#3 Holmqvist

How does Parise not get a star :blink:

That's mind-boggling. Zach was the best player on the ice for either team. Wow. :blink:

If SCOTT GOMEZ didn't score that goal, I was gonna start a first line center for 07-08 thread, no questions asked.

The Kool-Aid is still strong in The Mexican Bandito!

Damn Right!! :koolaid:

LOL, 'aint that the truth!! As excited as I was when Gomer scored, I was SOOOOO relieved. What a win!! WOOOOOOOO!!!!!

That's mind-boggling. Zach was the best player on the ice for either team. Wow. :blink:

Man I am so still fired up and it is so hard to type right now. :lol: I want Game 5 to be tomorrow already! :evil: So psyched and excited over this big OT win! Won't get much sleep tonight. :blink:

it was wonderful to have a well rested EGG line going into the OT...

i mean after half assing it for 60 minutes there really was no excuse for them to turn it up in OT, especially with tampa's big guns running out of gas...

however, that was a great shot by gomer, and a really fun(stressfull lol!) game to watch.

if NHL.com really picked gomez as the #1 star over parise, they obviously did not bother to watch the game.

Amazing what happens when you shoot the puck isn't it? Other than that I'm at a loss for words right now because I forgot what it was like to win a OT in the playoffs. I'll be honest, with this teams track record in OTs I was expecting another heart breaker. I echo some of the the other posts in this thread, no fists, no jumping up and down just a huge sigh of relief.

Man I am so still fired up and it is so hard to type right now. :lol: I want Game 5 to be tomorrow already! :evil: So psyched and excited over this big OT win! Won't get much sleep tonight. :blink:

I will be eating the same thing on friday as tonight, drinking the same type of beer, and sitting in the same place. . . goes with the playoff beard thing. And also ignoring this board untill after the game on friday (at least this thread). It's funny, my CA friends asked my why Parise doesn't play every shift, and I had no real answer. . .

wow. i've reflected a bit. the devils did some things i didn't think they could do again in this series:

get past a weak goal by brodeur

get scott gomez shooting

get a win in OT

as was said in another post, this game was very exciting - an edge of the seat game all the way.

taking off the kool aid glasses for a second:

gomez had two good shifts the whole game - the one where he ended it with a block and the shot and the one where he barreled in on the boards, kept the play alive and gionta eventually scored. otherwise he was the same dog he's been. in fact, the perren goal was just as much his fault for the turnover and giving up on the play as it was for marty letting in a softy.

marty comes out even. he made some GREAT saves in this game late and in OT but he also let in perren's weak goal and vinny's was questionable.

i'm finally glad (as triumph said) that the devils decided to agressively forecheck and now see the results. what continues to upset me though is the absolute refusal of the coaching staff to shadow st. louis and lecavallier with pando and madden. the continued attempt of the 5 man unit defense on these two keeps giving up incredible chances.

i don't mean to be debby downer on this one. it was a fantastic win and from 10 minutes left and on, the devils had chance after chance and really played well. unless they get in a quick 2-0 hole in game 5, i expect more of the same on friday.

sundstrom i disagree about the perrin goal - elias got bumped off, they use that breakout play all the time - tampa made a good anticipatory play to jar elias, and sprung the puck free. while gomez made some other 'dog' plays - the pass to langenbrunner in OT comes to mind - he wasn't all bad.