GDT ISLANDERS @ DEVILS 11/16/07 7PM MSG/HD XM 204 660AM

Devilish34

Marty stormed down that tunnel.

I cant remember him looking so annoyed in a long long time.

I dont mind Sutter changing lines between games, but to keep doing it during the game is getting rather annoying, its not achieving anything.

If the lines looked good going into th game, then stick with them the whole game, if they werent right for the game , then why did you pick them ???

I dont know weather lou will make a move, but things are starting to heat up around the NHL, coaches are starting to look to make moves, with the ducks sending Bryzgalov through waviers, with the intention of instantly clear cap space, could mean that a set of trades is possibly around the corner.

But what do we have to offer that we can afford to lose???

Not a lot.

Looks like its going to be a long year.

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Let Weekes start tommorw.

It really doesn't matter who starts. Can't win many games without scoring a single goal. Although Weekes has had better goal support in his starts.

I'm really worried about tomorrow. The game has the potential to get real ugly.

Edited by SickMan

Bergfors has 1 goal in 9 games in Lowell. Do you expect him to do better in the NHL against NHL defenders and NHL goaltenders?

Perfectly put, you have no idea how many fans I encounter trying to plug him like he'll be Jesus Christ coming to play for us. I've said "well, it's still early in the season" before in previous posts, but I'd be lying if I were to say I'm not losing faith. This team has far too many holes on it to plug, I wouldn't know where to start. The look on Marty's face told the whole story. I don't think I've ever seen him look so demoralized over a regular season game since 1996. Just a very frustrating time to be a Devils fan. :closedeyes:

After watching all season and tonight it is clear what the problem with the offense is, it's the defense. They can't make a breakout pass. When the Devils were in the Islanders zone the forwards were buzzing around however there were times where the defense couldn't get the puck out on the breakout (Chico made mention of it several times).

It's something I have noticed all year they can't get the puck out of there own zone on defense. It's why the PK is so bad. The result is by the time they finally get the puck out the forwards are tired and have to change. That give the other team basically a free pass back in the Devils zone and the cycle repeats. Whenever the defense can make the breakout pass and the Devils transition to offense and can get the forecheck going the create chances. It all starts with the breakout and it is horrible.

The Devils need a puck moving defensemen even when Martin comes back.

however there were times where the defense couldn't get the puck out on the breakout (Chico made mention of it several times).

Wait... we have Nieder... oh wait, no we don't.

Well, we can always skate it out of the zone with Gome...... er, no wait......

We could alway pass it up, which is the role of Rafal.... no, nothing there either...

Let's face it. We've lost so much talent due to free agency, the cupboard is bare.

But next year we are gonna be awesome. So sayeth Triumph.

After watching all season and tonight it is clear what the problem with the offense is, it's the defense. They can't make a breakout pass. When the Devils were in the Islanders zone the forwards were buzzing around however there were times where the defense couldn't get the puck out on the breakout (Chico made mention of it several times).

It's something I have noticed all year they can't get the puck out of there own zone on defense. It's why the PK is so bad. The result is by the time they finally get the puck out the forwards are tired and have to change. That give the other team basically a free pass back in the Devils zone and the cycle repeats. Whenever the defense can make the breakout pass and the Devils transition to offense and can get the forecheck going the create chances. It all starts with the breakout and it is horrible.

The Devils need a puck moving defensemen even when Martin comes back.

this is indeed part of the problem. however, even when the Devils did manage to break out, their forwards couldn't bury the chances given.

The team doesn't draw enough penalties because they can't skate enough through the neutral zone with the puck - and they don't have anyone who can shoot from the point except Brookbank (he's got to get a goal sooner or later, that is a cannon). So they're a down-low team but they really don't have anyone who's that good down low. Teams know all they have to do to beat New Jersey is just keep 2 defensemen back - their forwards can beat the Devils' defensemen down low all on their own too.

Oh, and they don't have anyone who can score from more than 15 feet out.

I think the Greene-Martin pairing has to go when Martin does return. Rachunek is okay at transitioning it but he takes a lot of bad gambles. Oduya too. Vishnevsky and Brookbank are simply terrible at it, and Mottau's not much better. But Greene and Martin are their best two transition guys - they can't play together.

Edited by Triumph

this is indeed part of the problem. however, even when the Devils did manage to break out, their forwards couldn't bury the chances given.

The team doesn't draw enough penalties because they can't skate enough through the neutral zone with the puck - and they don't have anyone who can shoot from the point except Brookbank (he's got to get a goal sooner or later, that is a cannon). So they're a down-low team but they really don't have anyone who's that good down low. Teams know all they have to do to beat New Jersey is just keep 2 defensemen back - their forwards can beat the Devils' defensemen down low all on their own too.

Oh, and they don't have anyone who can score from more than 15 feet out.

I think the Greene-Martin pairing has to go when Martin does return. Rachunek is okay at transitioning it but he takes a lot of bad gambles. Oduya too. Vishnevsky and Brookbank are simply terrible at it, and Mottau's not much better. But Greene and Martin are their best two transition guys - they can't play together.

I'm not saying finishing isn't part of the problem it is. It has been since 2001. I'm just saying the big big problem is the breakout. If the Devils had a decent breakout they would at the very least score enough to win a few more games. But certainly a lack of finish and no point shot both of which have been problems in the past are problems to. However the breakout needs to be addressed first IMO.

Just got home from work a little bit ago and missed the game. I'm guessing I shouldn't bother watching any repeat of the game as it sounds like no one really looked like they gave a sh!t. I'm disappointed. They may not be a cup contender this year, but they should at least look like they're TRYING their hardest. As my parents always say, "Just give it your best." Blah.

Edited by LA03

Just got home from work a little bit ago and missed the game. I'm guessing I shouldn't bother watching any repeat of the game as it sounds like no one really looked like they gave a sh!t. I'm disappointed. They may not be a cup contender this year, but they should at least look like they're TRYING their hardest. As my parents always say, "Just give it your best." Blah.

they tried tonight and I thought played pretty well, given the talent level. Just couldn't finish. I enjoyed tonight's effort more than the Rangers game.

Also, I thought lines were doing just OK up until Sutter changed them, but after that, they actually got something going a little bit. So who knows.

I'm not saying finishing isn't part of the problem it is. It has been since 2001. I'm just saying the big big problem is the breakout. If the Devils had a decent breakout they would at the very least score enough to win a few more games. But certainly a lack of finish and no point shot both of which have been problems in the past are problems to. However the breakout needs to be addressed first IMO.

You can't just address this with a new guy. Part of the problem is that none of these guys have played together before, and most of them haven't played much with the Devils' forwards either.

It's going to take a year.

You can't just address this with a new guy. Part of the problem is that none of these guys have played together before, and most of them haven't played much with the Devils' forwards either.

It's going to take a year.

It'll take ten years if Sutter keeps switching lines with the frequency that he blinks.

It says they were playing a team not as talented as the team they played Wednesday :P

Besides he didn't even let the 'new' changes sit for half a game before he changed them again. As bad as the offense is, constantly changing everything around isn't helping. It's probably one of the reasons we have been shutout five-six times already.

Edited by Hasan4978

That was awful. Pathetic. Revolting. Tragic.

And I'm not talking about the game, although the sooner Mike Mottau is off the ice, the better.

I'm talking about the crowd. This was game #5 for me at the Rock, and as a Devils fan I couldn't be more embarrassed by OUR performance the last two games against the Rangers and Islanders. Why are we so fvcking passive? Quiet? Friggin' somnambulant?! Two games in a row we let the Rangers and Islanders fans waltz right into our building and completely take over! They drowned us out completely...and whenever someone tries to get a "Let's Go Devils" chant going, it never takes off. The Devils were down by one goal tonight. ONE fvckING GOAL! With this crowd it felt like five. How the hell is this team going to get any extra energy if we keep giving them nothing to feed off? If what are supposed to be home games feel like road games? This team needs all the help it can get. Right now it's getting absolutely nothing from us.

Well Wednesday was a road game :P I don't know how bad the split was in terms of Devil fans and Isles fans tonight but I do know at the CAA it was just as bad with 8-10,000 fans and the 2,000 Isle fans in attendance taking over the arena.

I'll defend Devil fans on this much, the team ain't exactly leaving it on the ice. It's a bit easier to root for a team that oh, maybe tries a little bit?

See I thought the crowd was good tonight. It didn't have much to cheer for, but the little kids were loud and there was some decent Devils chants the whole third period. There were Isles fans scattered around, not that many, and they made a little bit of noise. It would be like 3 guys yelling and you'd hear them for 10 seconds.

That was awful. Pathetic. Revolting. Tragic.

And I'm not talking about the game, although the sooner Mike Mottau is off the ice, the better.

I'm talking about the crowd. This was game #5 for me at the Rock, and as a Devils fan I couldn't be more embarrassed by OUR performance the last two games against the Rangers and Islanders. Why are we so fvcking passive? Quiet? Friggin' somnambulant?! Two games in a row we let the Rangers and Islanders fans waltz right into our building and completely take over! They drowned us out completely...and whenever someone tries to get a "Let's Go Devils" chant going, it never takes off. The Devils were down by one goal tonight. ONE fvckING GOAL! With this crowd it felt like five. How the hell is this team going to get any extra energy if we keep giving them nothing to feed off? If what are supposed to be home games feel like road games? This team needs all the help it can get. Right now it's getting absolutely nothing from us.

Sadly it's because the fans expect more...and are slowly coming to the realization that those expectations are set too high...

I agree with the line changes thing...if he wants to get an offense going he can't keep changing lines every other shift....there's no chemistry being built...I'll say it again, it really seems like Sutter has his assumptions of players (and I don't mean just Elias) and has let that effect him trying to find out who these players are and how they will fit into his scheme...any scheme for that matter...you can't really think that you walk into a place find one of the most defensive forwards in the game and go "ok, I saw he had a scoring touch in college." and boom it'll be back...