GDT: Devils vs. Phoenix, The "Mmm, Hot Dogs" Edition

Devilsdude530

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

He has four minor penalties (8 PIM) in 27 games including the bogus one called on him today, that's only a lot by Jay Pandolfo standards.

He's not good on the power play but he doesn't look totally out of place either like most of our d-men. Overall he reminds me of a poor man's Tommy Albelin.

In the words of Jim carey in LIAR LIAR

"HOLY HELL"

(Link for anyone whos not sure what that sounds like its 1.43 into this video)

I did not expect us to lose this game.

I havent seen anything of the game and im pretty sure i dont want to.

:puke:

Mottau doesn't take penalties because he NEVER takes a chance. He's as bad as Matvichuk when it comes to pinching in at even strength - and in the defensive zone, he doesn't step up either.

That said, he does play a smart game and won't make the kind of mistakes an Oduya or Brookbank makes, but he's still very frustrating and I'd like to see his ice time (especially on the PP) reduced in favor of Rachunek.

Well gee whiz that's odd because the other night I could have sworn he 1st kept the puck in at the blue line -- then sent it over to Martin who held it Mottau gave him a nod and he flew right up to the net -- didn't get a goal but he started an onslaught that brought about a goal. I'm not UNfond of his D. But no one pleases me in front of our net --( White at least knows what has to be done and will do it -- no chicken sh!t stuff -- and he's smart about it. I like the way owns the ice with a hint of the Scott Stevens... well, what the other guys called arrogance). Mottau is a little guy though there may be some hidden playing it safe in there :noclue:

I don't think you're watching Tri -- you're not seeing his eyes - it's fine to see the general bad -- but I like what I've seen thus far stuff that doesn't come across on TV

Edited by Pepperkorn

It seemed pretty obvious at some point the refs decided to just F the Devils and I can't figure out when that moment came.

Zubrus getting slew footed or tripped from behind was extremely dangerous and Parise took a dangerous shot to the head 2 or 3 seconds after he had scored the goal, the Yotes were taking some serious liberties and the refs seemed to be fine with letting them. Very perplexing.

Otherwise the team played with no fire today. Clarkson and Marty were the lone bright spots today, for me. As long as the team comes out and plays well and wins tomorrow all will be forgiven.

Edited by Devils731

I thought the Devils looked good early on, they killed themselves with the penalties though. There were some really bad calls by the refs, but the Devils also took a lot of stupid penalties. The offense had its chances but just didn't capitalize, Clarkson had a really nice move to get by a defender and get an awesome chance, and Parise is just amazing. Zubrus has been impressing me lately with the way he has thrown his body around and kudos to Clarkson for starting that fight, nice to see some emotion. Asham looked horrible, I like him but I think they should give a hungry Mike Rupp a chance. I also like Oduya and Brookbank but one of them has to sit next game, they both were horrible. Brodeur made some amazing saves and I can't blame him for all of the goals he gave up. Hopefully they win tomorrow, they just gotta move on from this.

I have hated Mottau since this awful play... 1:24 in...

And I've hated Broduer since this awful play.....

Wait a minute, I've never hated Brodeur. Even the best make mistakes. Mottau has been a lot better than the Oduyas, and Brookbanks. Everybody is bound to mess up eventually at one moment in their career.

Edited by DevilsRule2008

And I've hated Broduer since this awful play.....

Wait a minute, I've never hated Brodeur. Even the best make mistakes. Mottau has been a lot better than the Oduyas, and Brookbanks. Everybody is bound to mess up eventually at one moment in their career.

TRUE! If Paul Martin came back tomorrow and made a horrific blunder and the team lost because of it, no one would be jumping aboard the anti-paul martin train. mottau has been good.

oduya is the one that deserves the criticism because night after night after night he finds himself in hot water.

Did you notice Gretzky signing autographs for some Mickey Mouse Organization fans?

i was thinking the same thing...lol!

perhaps the last several years in phoenix he has become to appreciate what "mickey mouse" hockey is all about...

that and the exploits of his gambling junkie old lady catching some heat with his assistant coach...lol!

Well gee whiz that's odd because the other night I could have sworn he 1st kept the puck in at the blue line -- then sent it over to Martin who held it Mottau gave him a nod and he flew right up to the net -- didn't get a goal but he started an onslaught that brought about a goal. I'm not UNfond of his D. But no one pleases me in front of our net --( White at least knows what has to be done and will do it -- no chicken sh!t stuff -- and he's smart about it. I like the way owns the ice with a hint of the Scott Stevens... well, what the other guys called arrogance). Mottau is a little guy though there may be some hidden playing it safe in there :noclue:

I don't think you're watching Tri -- you're not seeing his eyes - it's fine to see the general bad -- but I like what I've seen thus far stuff that doesn't come across on TV

I agree completely... this guy has been the biggest surprise all year... I know Tri is down on this guy buy he was our best defenseman against Phnx and I see him jumping in and making smart decisions all the time...with a little bit more of puck luck as well as the right call from Toronto, he'd even have a few goals. And most importantly he makes almost no mistakes... and he's never had this kind of ice time before. His weakness seems his weak shot and weaker backhand.

But there is a reason he's getting #2 defender minutes. He played PK and PP yesterday. He was a +1 gainst Phnx (in a 4-1 loss with team "D" leading 21 TOI ) and compare that to Rachunek's brutal and deserved -3.

All that being said, I hope he doesn't slip-slide away like Oduya did.

Our defense was brutal yesterday, except for Mottau

I agree completely... this guy has been the biggest surprise all year... I know Tri is down on this guy buy he was our best defenseman against Phnx and I see him jumping in and making smart decisions all the time...with a little bit more of puck luck as well as the right call from Toronto, he'd even have a few goals. And most importantly he makes almost no mistakes... and he's never had this kind of ice time before. His weakness seems his weak shot and weaker backhand.

But there is a reason he's getting #2 defender minutes. He played PK and PP yesterday. He was a +1 gainst Phnx (in a 4-1 loss with team "D" leading 21 TOI ) and compare that to Rachunek's brutal and deserved -3.

All that being said, I hope he doesn't slip-slide away like Oduya did.

Our defense was brutal yesterday, except for Mottau

Agreed. I enjoy watching Mottau's proigression, but I wish he'd shoot more or have a harder shot. I think right now we're seeing the effects of having martin out. Mottau's not a first PP guy and they don't want to disrupt Greene and Rachunek on the Number 2 unit.

As for Greene, I feel like he's been kind of mediocre lately.

Asham has been so disappointing, I'd say it's time to get rid of him.

Agreed. I enjoy watching Mottau's proigression, but I wish he'd shoot more or have a harder shot. I think right now we're seeing the effects of having martin out. Mottau's not a first PP guy and they don't want to disrupt Greene and Rachunek on the Number 2 unit.

As for Greene, I feel like he's been kind of mediocre lately.

Asham has been so disappointing, I'd say it's time to get rid of him.

I have a feeling Asham is gone when Cam is back. With Clarkson doing what Asham was supposed to, I don't see how all 3 would stay on. Its a shame, I really really liked the signing of Asham. But more often then not, he just doesn't seem to give a blank.

Hey, anyone who was at the game yesterday... Did you guys notice how the crowd came alive and really supported the team when it became pretty obvious that the refs were going for the Most Powerplays In A Game Award?

Specifically, the Parise goal and the hit he had at the blue line on the ensuing play, and when Sutter was going nuts about (I forget) either the Langenbrunner 'unsportsmanlike' or the Clarkson roughing call added to his fight. I was in 231, and it seemed like everyone really rallied behind the team... until that 4th goal....