Sharing is caring!

TomsRiverDevil

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My first Devils game was in 1995 in Madison Square Garden (my uncle had season tickets). The game ended 1-1, back in the days when we had ties! I remember being 14 years old and astounded that people were leaving a tied game in the 3rd period to catch a train.

First home game was a forgettable 4-1 loss to the Panthers the same year. Ugh.. we got shut down by Mark Fitzpatrick. Haha, I still remember that our only goal was when he misplayed it behind the net and it popped out in front to I think Holik.

If only I could have remembered school stuff that well...

Haha I remember one time I went to a Devils game and was watching the pre-game warmups (in the lower sections of the CAA since they permitted you to watch warm-ups there) and I was up near the glass while my dad was sitting down in about the 10th or so row reading the media-guide book and a puck landed right in his lap (on the book actually), just shows you how close the puck was to hitting him lol.. this happened in like 2000 or 2001 so it was before they had the netting in the background.. sorry this is totally random, CupChamps3x just made me think of it with flipping a puck in warmups..

Edited by nmigliore

My first game was before I was a hockey fan. Just moved up to Jersey and my girlfriend is a huge Devils fan so she took me...it was back in 99-00...it was against the Coyotes and all I wanted to see was a fight...Oliwa took care of that and I loved the entire game...never looked back...my fourth game was quite the memorable one...I finally decided to pick a favorite player and took a liking to Elias...started research looking up stats and what not...went to a game vs the Avs...and for the first time got lower level seats...that was the night Elias had his first hat trick!!!! :D Got to throw my hat and everything...very very cool!!!

The first game I went to was against Chicago in I think the 92-93 season, ended in a 2-2 tie. I was five years old and hated hockey up until that point because I remember my dad putting on the Rangers or Islanders games when I wanted to watch cartoons, but I've been hooked ever since.

Devils/Stars in '95-96. Sat first row behind devils Bench at CAA. Got Marty to flip me a puck after warmups, got to high five a lot of the players which was pretty cool as I was 9 at the time.
Edited by aylbert

My first game was against Dallas as well, but a year later. I had just starting dating this girl, her parents had 4 tickets... 2 in the upper levels, 2 in the corner glass. So we alternated views and it was great.

It just sucked the Devils lost.

4-2, Dallas. October 12th, 1996... wish the Devils would have won like they did for your game... 7-2 Devils sounds much better :)

----------

My wifes first game, who doesnt post here, was Elias's first game back from hepatitus, against the Florida panthers. We were couple rows off the glass.... but she got to see her favorite player, Cam Janssen fight right in front of her, Elias's return, and a Martin Brodeur shutout. Nice!

Edited by nmigliore

I remember my first game like it was yesterday. Halloween, 1993. Front row on the blue line, Halifax Metro Centre. I had been a Devils fan for near the full decade of their existence to that point, but as a high school/university student I couldn't afford to a Halifax Citadels AHL game without bumming money, much less take a trip to Jersey for a game. However, that year the NHL was having some off-site games to spread interest in the game, so we were treated with a Rangers-Devils rivalry game.

My brother and I were surrounded by Ranger fans and well, we had read on the internet (yeah, e-mail lists existed way back then) that Ranger fans were obnoxious, arrogant twits so we were kinda wary about our seats. But we got chatting away with the people around us and these people were really quite cool. I guess Nova Scotian Ranger fans are a different breed. They even offered to take us out for drinks, on them after the game, but my brother was only 17 at the time.

Rangers ended up winning the game. If I remember correctly, it wasn't even close. But it didn't matter to me....

I think I still have the pennant that Bernie Nicholls signed.

I was like 6, it was 1984.. Van Halen's Jump is the song they came out to. I made my mom buy me the tape the next day cause I loved that song.

No clue who they played, I think I remembered them winning, because it seemed like they always won when I went, including a time or two against the oilers.

yes, THOSE oilers.

Edited by Exit56

6-1 win over the Panthers in the lockout-shortened 95 season. I was 12 at the time and still a Cub Scout, and the game was a Scouts discount afternooner. I still remember screaming at Marty to get back into the net when he charged to the bench on a delayed penalty :rolleyes: .

Hook.

I had such a great time that I convinced my dad to take me to another game. We went to see them play the Panthers again, but had no idea how early we should leave from Brick to get to the Meadowlands in time. He ended up picking me up straight from school and we got there so early that there were players still walking in. I didn't know too many, but I recognized Brodeur and Richer. I ran back to our Caravan, grabbed the only autographable thing I could find (a Post-it pad) and a pen, and ran back to the box office entrance. By this point, only one more player would arrive ... Brick's own Jimmy Dowd. He signed the Post-it (which I have since lost :doh1: ) and the Devils went on to win, I think 4-2. Claude Lemieux scored on a breakaway.

Line.

Then the Devils won the Cup.

Sinker.

I'm originally from Detroit, before I moved to Des Moines. I saw the Devils play in 1995 during game 2 (I was a fan of Marty in 94 so I was pumped to go to Joe Louis). I saw the Devils 2 other times at Joe Louis... Every game I've seen was a loss (except for 1995). What's worse, the Devils were always on a road trip so I got the "pleasure" of seeing Mike Dunham and Clemmenson play...

Last year, I made it to my first Devil's game at CAA. I wanted to see the Meadowlands before it was done. They played the Capitals in an afternoon game - and lost... I loved every instant of course. I got there early, and was thrilled to see that Doc and Chico actually sat in some convered seats in the upper deck. I bought a media guide and Doc / Chico autographed it for me. Doc was awesome, he talked to me for about 20 minutes. He has a nephew that lived 2 streets over in Dearborn... It was bizarre!

Anyway, I was in absolute heaven, even thought they lost. I'm coming to a game again this year in February. Can't wait!

Edited by Motor City Devil

January 1988, was 10 years old, beat the Leafs 7-3 and Johnny Mac had a hat trick. Sat in 216 with my dad and that section went back and forth with 217 yelling "Tastes great", "less filling". Oh those wacky 80s. I remember wanting M&Ms and dragging my dad down to the concession stand and we missed a fight. It took a couple hundred games before I left my seat in the middle of a period again.