What The Devils Have To Do To Repeat

Rock

Stan Fischler

What the Devils have to do to repeat

http://www.msgnetwork.com/content_news.jsp...vils&league=nhl

Jun 19, 2003

One of the most difficult challenges any big-league hockey team faces is trying to successfully defend a Stanley Cup championship.

Ask the Devils of 1995-96 or New Jersey's sextet in 2000-01.

The former club under Jacques Lemaire missed the playoffs completely the second time around, while Larry Robinson's club (in 2001) went to the Seventh game of the Finals before being defeated.

Thus, it would not be stretching a point to question whether Pat Burns can lead the Devs to two straight titles.

To determine the answer, we'll examine the team position by position.

GOAL

Vezina Trophy-winner Martin Brodeur is at the apex of his career. With three Cup rings, he stands as the best in the business. Corey Schwab is a splendid back-up who played only 11 games. That's too few for someone with his ability. Expect his workload to reach as high as 20. After a long season and postseason, Brodeur will need more rest in this upcoming campaign to be playoff-fresh when next Spring rolls around.

Conclusion: Goaltending is as good as can be expected.

DEFENSE

There are several issues here. Will Ken Daneyko or Tommy Albelin retire? Or both? How much is left in captain Scott Stevens' tank? Is top-prospect David Hale ready to step into the lineup? What happens to Richard Smehlik?

My guess is that Pat Burns will try to balance his top six with three offensive defensemen and three defensive defensemen.

The makeup will go something like this.

Brian Rafalski-Stevens

Scott Niedermayer-Colin White

Oleg Tverdovsky-Smehlik

The backups will be comprised of two from the following collection -- Daneyko, Albelin, Ray Giroux or Hale. That is; unless Lou Lamoriello decides to deal Smehlik to get younger on the blueline. Giroux looks like the best bet to be promoted from Albany.

Conclusion: On defense the Devs boast one of the deepest, most experienced units in the NHL. As always, health will be important. With this group, a carbon-copy of this past year would be sufficient. Some added scoring would be a bonus.

P.S. Stevens' workload may have to be trimmed so that he's playoff fresh a la Brodeur.

FORWARDS

Joe Nieuwendyk's status is a key issue. An unrestricted Free Agent he could opt for Toronto and play alongside his pal, Gary Roberts.

If Nieuwendyk has played his final Devils game, were games 4-7 of the Finals rookie Mike Rupp's audition for the center slot between Jeff Friesen (23 goals in regular season) and Jamie Langenbrunner (22)? It's an interesting question considering how well the big kid from Cleveland, Ohio played. I believe that Joe will return and share that role with Rupp while teaching him to better play the position.

Grant Marshall should remain on the line with Scott Gomez and Patrik Elias. Marshall helps make them better. Grant is a good soldier, unafraid to battle for and dig-out pucks of corners, protect his linemates, intimidate the opponent and score rebound goals (see Round 2/Game 5 vs. Tampa in 3 OT).

Sergei Brylin, Turner Stevenson and Pascal Rheaume neatly jelled throughout the playoffs, providing a gritty fourth-line. This trio played big roles and an integral part of the success story. Signing Rheaume is an off-season must for Lou, providing Pascal is reasonable with his demands: which I think he will be.

John Madden, Jay Pandolfo and Brian Gionta should enter 2003-04 as Pat Burns' top defensive unit. Madden is Burns' lieutenant on the ice supported by Pandolfo ably and the pesky Gionta.

From Game One of the 2002-2003 season in Ottawa (where he scored two goals, including the game-winner) until Game Seven of the Finals (where he smothered Paul Kariya all-game long), Mad Dog was and is the beating heart of this team.

Gionta and Jiri Bicek showed they belong this past year. Jim McKenzie will return as the club's enforcer. Christian Berglund and Steven Guolla must raise their level of play to compete for a roster spot -- a la Gionta and Bicek -- or they'll remain in Albany.

Conclusion: Some more scoring will be needed to defend the crown. The power play must -- and that's a big MUST -- get better. The talent is there, it is just a matter of getting more productivity from these guys. Lou Lamoriello made this group better by down-sizing and making the team quicker rather than bigger as in years past. Everyone figured the loss of bigger players would be a detriment. But once again, Lamoriello knew what he was building for -- a faster league, featuring less clutching and grabbing that catered more to quicker players than taller (and sometimes slower and more outspoken) ones.

COACHING

Pat Burns was a five-star winner and there can be no arguing that. He's smart enough to learn from past experiences with Montreal, Toronto and Boston to retain momentum in the second year.

His main challenge will be getting more out of Gomez and Elias.

Figure the coach to ease up just enough with his skaters and perhaps with the media as well.

But once again, Lamoriello knew what he was building for -- a faster league, featuring less clutching and grabbing that catered more to quicker players than taller (and sometimes slower and more outspoken) ones.

HAHAHAHAHHAHAHA

I admit, the size bothered me in the beginning of the 02-03 campaign. As the clutching got called less you could see that size issue become prominent again. The NHL Screwed this one up, they cant say but we REALLY mean it this time anymore. Clutch&Grab are here to stay, the Devils need more size up front.

I really can't disagree with anything that Stan wrote about next year. That's surprising cosidering it's Stan.

I am not as concerned about losing Nieuwy, Lou will find another center and Rupp will come along.

I am not so sure about Tver staying, he probably doesn't want to be with the Devils. So a defenseman is needed and maybe Hale is answer. Smehlik has to be dealt away for someone else.

Key rest Marty, play Schwab 20 games or more and be ready for the playoffs with a rested Marty. Without that happening Marty will be a liability on the ice during the playoffs.

Gomez and Elias, just not sure about them as individuals or as partners on the ice with the Devils system and Pat Burns.

I sincerely hope the Devils atone for '96 and 2001, they can do it. Where is the competition in the East and as for the West? It could be the Ducks again.

2003/2004 should be interesting considering that 2004/2005 could be a walk out or lock out. So Devils win it again before the long rest.

PP will also be a need for key improvement.

Atone for 2001? Let's get serious. That was a failure of the heart, not of talent.. I don't think there's any atonement needed for being within 1 game of winning the Cup.

This team is a lot more like 96..

Fischler has it dead on.. and who cares what Tverdovsky wants, if he demands a trade he can sit on his butt in Russia and not get paid. If Lou wants to dump him, he will, if he wants to play Tverdovsky, than Oleg will play.

Marshall's the right guy for Gomez and Elias.

Where the Devils might need to upgrade is at 3rd line right wing, where Brian Gionta seems to be a bad fit. We'll see.

If the Devils got a scorer, he should be a right wing, that way Langenbrunner can move up a line or down a line. Gomez-Elias-Langenbrunner would be a formidable line.. but this is all far off unless Lou surprises us at the draft.

The runner up to the Finals usually chunks the season the next year. If Philly can get a semblance of a goalie they could be difficult, how soon we forget the challenge Ottawa was this year.

The west still has Dallas, Vancouver, and Detroit. The Avs, wait and see without Roy right now.

I'm not buying this smaller, faster business. Look at the playoffs. Lou intentionally went out and brought in some bigger guys like Marshall and Rheaume and it paid off. Not to mention Rupp getting in the lineup. Aside from outstanding team play, the Devs beat Anaheim because they were physically superior. The Devs forwards were never physically outplayed in any series, and I think that has to do with why they were so successful.

great points beck. i actually think the flyers are gonna be terrible next year (at best they'll be as good as the isles were this year).

my fear is that toronto makes a smart move and improves their defense and has a relatively healthy year.

they add hatcher, or make a trade for a decent defenseman and resign wesley and they could be very dangerous.

otherwise, the east is ottawa/new jersey again.

After the trade deadline, and especially with Rupp in the lineup, there was plenty of size on the forward lines. I think the key is the speed. They were deceptively fast. Other teams still don't think of speed when they think of the Devils, except for a few players. That changed this year and they really used it to their advantage. Size and speed is a good combination.

After the trade deadline, and especially with Rupp in the lineup, there was plenty of size on the forward lines. I think the key is the speed. They were deceptively fast. Other teams still don't think of speed when they think of the Devils, except for a few players. That changed this year and they really used it to their advantage. Size and speed is a good combination.

Agree 100%. Also, I think that Lou went with speed in the regular season when the obstruction/interference was supposed to be called, and realized that in the playoffs and finals especially, 'ain't nuthin gonna be called' so he put in Marshall, Rupp, Rheaume, Stevenson, ect. Watch tape of games 5, 6, and 7 (I know I have :D ) Players on both teams are getting away with murder.

I hate to be a bit negative - but some improvements must be made in the forwards. Dis anyone really think this team was going to go as far as it did? How could this team go as far again without some changes or some of the same kind of "luck" or "karma" or whatever you want to call it happen again.

Remember after the 2001 season, after all the forwards had season highs..........and we expected the same in 2002..........but it didn't happen.

The same could happen in 2004.

The Devils need a little more size up front/center and a little more scoring. As Stan says - the PP needs to improve as well...at least get to mid-pack.

The Devils can't "stand pat" if they want to go as far next year.

Quite frankly I do not like the Stan Fischler article at all. It doesn't read like his writing?????

Anyway, he essentially proposes the same team as last year. If I posted a poll, I'd think most people would agree we need some upgrades.

1. In Goal.... no changes needed, duh. Schwab plays 20 games...yeah right... ok maybe 15.

2. On Defense..... Comes April 2004, our 4th pair will not have Smehlik or Tvo in it. Who will be there? I do not know. But Smelly will mak $2+ mil and T-vo like $4+ mil...for a 3rd d-pairing.... maybe in Rangerland but not in Lou's Laboratory. Look for them to get as much as possible for both players, and play some youngsters there. I think you'll see Tommy A and Hale or Tommy A and Giroux until Lou fiinds which is best. I beleive Tommy A. at $1.1 mil is a great deal for a 7th d-man who CAN play in the playoffs. And I might add I was one of his few supporters all of last season from the beginning.

3. Forward lines: Assuming the signing of Marshall and Rheaume (the latter being the most likely since in his parade speech he simply mentioned wanting to come back...and Rheamue is a perfect 4th line center).....then we really have just one or 2 spots open. The question is who will be our #1 center (calling Gomer a legitimate #2)? If you think Lou is paying $5 mil for a Rupp teacher, you got something else coming. Let's say you had $5 mil to spend on any player.... who would you get? Joe Newy?

And, I know Burnzy loves Little G, wbut ho doesn't think we could do better there. We need a 6'2" RW, who can skate, play defense, tough, but is not a top player because of poor hands.... How about Pandolfo's evil twin? :evil:

Friesen-Rupp-Lang

Elias-Gomer-Marshall

Pando-Madden-Pando's Twin

Brylin-Rheaume-Turner

Jimbo, Bicek extra forwards.

Stevens-Raffi

White-Neids

Tommy A, Hale, Giroux

Cutting/trading, Newy, T-vo, Smehlik

The team above makes the #2/#4 seed and is $10mil+ cheaper than this year's team.

With the $9 mil saved on A$$holik, and the $$ saved above Lou can go get us a Federov :evil:

Rupp on the second line? No way.

Devils need Nieuwendyk, Rupp is nowhere near filling that role. If Nieuwendyk leaves, they should think about signing a center to plug that gap, because Rupp just isn't ready to play 2nd line center on a Cup champion team. He can't play the defensive zone. He needs a year or two in a 4th line position to be able to play there.

Tverdovsky may stick around by April, if Lou can't find any takers for his salary. If he plays well next year, who knows.

I don't think Nieuwendyk will receive 5 million. With every team trying to save money, no one's going to invest that kind of cash in a guy who will break the 25 goal barrier at best, and who has shown a history of injuries throughout his career.

I agree about Rupp, but Lou may try anyway (remember Pierre D), since it is a huge $$$ savings

And I've been saying the same thing about T-vo. They are going to play him, let him get a large +/1 and about 10 goals, and then his trade value is high and he's gone. But Lou will do is asap since we want to pay as little of that $4 mil as possible.

But the center position is different.. Lou's never gone so weak there.

Pierre Dagenais was different, because the Devils still had Randy McKay coming off a 20 goal year. I think what really hurt the Devs offensively was that McKay became a very poor player after 2001, more than going with Dagenais or Salomonsson..

If the Devs cut Nieuwendyk and try to save 4 million, they may as well keep Tverdovsky on board for a while to see if he can raise his value. Of course, I still wouldn't be surprised if they didn't give him a contract, but in this weak defenseman market, he'd probably get 3 million to 4 million a year from someone out West.

I still say the Devils need size, too. I think we were all appalled that Lou did nothing at the trade and we concerned the makeup of the team stunk, let alone be good enough to get the Cup :evil: . There is a lot of pressure on the defending champs. They had some tough spots in the last two rounds and everyone has to do their part when faced with the challenge. Still unsure about Nieuwendyk but I think Tivo is a goner and maybe Smehlik...not sure about Albelin, I think he'll stay if given the opportunity.

Rupp was terrific in game 7 but I don't think he is second line material, either. I also think relying on Hale or Giroux is a bit premature, they need some more time up North unless Lou gets them on the ice early in the season.

Frankly while '01 was a huge heartbreaker, I see no shame in going to a game 7 in that scenario.

they may as well keep Tverdovsky on board for a while to see if he can raise his value. Of course, I still wouldn't be surprised if they didn't give him a contract, but in this weak defenseman market, he'd probably get 3 million to 4 million a year from someone out West.

If what you say is true, and it may be, then we shoukd sign T-vo, and trade him for a center. A d-man worth $4 mil should clearly get us a very descent forward/center, particularly from the west.

Heck, maybe the Ranger$, who love offensive defensemen (and ex-Devils even more) will trade T-vo for Holik and take back a chunk of Holik's salary. :evil: