If you were Jeff Vanderbeek....

NewarkDevil5

Does the fact that following the Kovalchuk signing the Devils got to a point that they were selling out virtually every game cause you to step in and force Lou to make a more serious offer to keep him? All this also remembering that we were selling out games despite playing some pretty lousy .500 hockey. I think that as an owner, at a point it has to come to where you realize that a guy like that is a draw at the gate every night and especially with Brodeur nearing retirement these kinds of players don't come around every day.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think Kovalchuk is really the kind of person to enjoy doing product endorsements and whatnot although with his presence as the biggest star in a Tri-State Area team in recent history (since Jagr/Lindros) he could probably swing very decent deals in that regard and make up the money pretty easily. I just don't see his personality being that type though.

It's not the price that matters as much as its effect on the cap. I think Kovalchuk can get paid in the 7-8 region without wreaking havoc on our ability to fix some other spots, provided we can cut loose some combination of Pandolfo, Rolston and Langenbrunner.

Rolston + Pandolfo = Kovalchuk, salary cap-wise. Something of which I'm sure Lou and JVDB are well aware.

I really can't imagine Kovy getting 7-8 when Martin's contract is up this year, Green's next year along with Parise and Langenbrunner. He is very exciting and like stated above that will draw crowds, and be taken into consideration. But we have to leave room for Parise next year as he is way more important than Kovalchuk to me.

if you planned to spend 0 on that slot(which is entirely possible), Kovalchuk would have to make his entire salary back in gate and trinkets to break even.

so... can Kovalchuk make the Devils $8.5M to break even? not quite sure of that. and that's just to break even.

1) if kovalchuk provides wins, that pays for himself because it creates playoff gate - about $1MM/game.

2) i think the devils do offer him a contract - probably about $7 - $7.5/year and he'll probably have about 4 or 5 teams to consider

personally, i'm torn whether signing him is a good idea. he's gonna get a 6 or 7 year deal. there are 3 years where i'm concerned cap wise and then he's in Elias' slot.

assuming a $60-$62MM cap in 2011-2012 (which i do expect), parise will also not be an issue in that range.

it's not so much the cap ramifications - it really is about the player. he clearly has all world talent but really just didn't gel here. he took longer shifts, both ES and PP and it was essentially told to go do whatever he wanted. he did back check and played defense so that wasn't really a concern. but he just never seemed to use his teammates intelligently. he'd bull rush into the zone 1 on 3. he'd make dangerous passes at the point on the PP. other than a brief stint with zajac, he never seemed to find linemates that could work with him.

i can go either way on this really. i'd be excited to have such an electrifying talent on the team but would also always be wary that he was too much of the focal point.

if you planned to spend 0 on that slot(which is entirely possible), Kovalchuk would have to make his entire salary back in gate and trinkets to break even.

so... can Kovalchuk make the Devils $8.5M to break even? not quite sure of that. and that's just to break even.

I am thinking a 7 yr/$50 mill deal from the Devils might be enough to get him to stay....time will tell, but I am hoping it gets worked out.

it's not so much the cap ramifications - it really is about the player. he clearly has all world talent but really just didn't gel here. he took longer shifts, both ES and PP and it was essentially told to go do whatever he wanted. he did back check and played defense so that wasn't really a concern. but he just never seemed to use his teammates intelligently. he'd bull rush into the zone 1 on 3. he'd make dangerous passes at the point on the PP. other than a brief stint with zajac, he never seemed to find linemates that could work with him.

I think that can be fixed, though. He was here for two months, playing for the first time on a team he didn't have to be the singular offensive threat. I think a lot of it was that there wasn't going to be time to truly integrate him into the system, so quite a bit of it was kind of a "well, let's see what you do, and we'll work with that" mentality. I wouldn't be surprised if quite a bit of it was also handling him with kid gloves to keep him happy and make him want to stay beyond this year.

Give him a year in the system and I'm willing to bet it synthesizes much better. I really think we can and should re-sign him for this reason, presuming his demands don't cripple this team cap-wise.

There was maybe a novelty about Kovy that drew out of curiosity for a game or so. Overall, Kovy isn't a draw and had zero impact on attendance.

If I am an owner there are two things I look at: do I want to sell more jersey's with #17 or do I want to win.

Kovy isn't the type of player that is going to win championships, each playoff game means $1 million in revenue.

Bye bye Kovy.

If my last name were Vanderbeek, I'd get Kovalchuk signed to a long term contract to save $$'s then at least we'd have some offense, Zach & Ilya, in place when Brody hangs em up becomes the Goalie coach.

In LOU I trust!!! koolaid.gif Work your magic LOU!!! iconmagic.gif

Zero impact? Having twelve of our last fifteen games sell out had nothing to do with Kovalchuk, right...cause all of them were against the Rangers.

Don't mind Manta, he's a blind Kovalchuk hater- I think Kovalchuk slashed his tires or something. If Kovalchuk re-signs, Manta will self-destruct in a cloud of anger. :P

Great loophole imo..

Then we get some really good assistant coaches to really coach

lol, the first time it happened there would be a clause grandfathered in so you couldn't circumvent the cap that way, if you could even hire someone as a player-coach now as it is, I don't remember the last one in NHL history.

Don't mind Manta, he's a blind Kovalchuk hater- I think Kovalchuk slashed his tires or something. If Kovalchuk re-signs, Manta will self-destruct in a cloud of anger. :P

No, just don't like the way he didn't fit on this TEAM and made our players essentially bystanders.