Haviland, Therrien reportedly final two candidates

USC09

http://www.nj.com/de...w_coach_ma.html

Devils' search for new coach may be down to Middletown native Mike Haviland, Michel Therrien

Rich Chere/The Star-Ledger

The Devils’ search for a new head coach may be narrowing down to Mike Haviland and Michel Therrien.

Haviland, assistant coach for the Stanley Cup champion Chicago Blackhawks, said he is hopeful of getting a chance to interview for one of the NHL’s two open head coaching spots in New Jersey or Atlanta.

And Therrien, former Penguins and Canadiens coach, remains high on the Devils’ radar.

Devils general manager Lou Lamoriello today made a long overdue announcement by acknowledging the organization will shift operations of its top minor-league team from Lowell, Mass., back to Albany, N.Y. He said the plan is to keep John MacLean as the club’s coach.

“Everything is status quo with the (minor-league) coaching staff, as it stands,” Lamoriello said.

Additionally, the Devils have not had contact with former Blue Jackets coach Ken Hitchcock, who would seem like a good fit.

After Wednesday night’s Game 6 victory over the Flyers, Haviland said: “Hopefully someday this will get me a head job. Right now I’m going to savor this as best I can. But I think when you win, good things happen to people in this business. I’ve won a lot of things along the way, so hopefully it helps. Right now I want to enjoy this with these guys.”

Edited by msweet
Can't post whole article

Talked to a sales rep yesterday, there appears to be some sort of managment meeting on 6/17. Not sure if its a press conference or not, but my guess it will be an announcement of the new coach---Mike Haviland. MacLean was my fave Devil growing up, so always hope the best for him, but not taking the team at this time is best for his coaching career.

Let's Go Devils--- Is it October yet????

Looks like MacLean is staying in the minors and that's good as far as I am concerned.

Well when I met with him the other day John said that he would like to stay coaching the AHL team. He also said that, He read the advice from lucifers dog on the Devils fan forum and he said he made great points and will change his coaching style based on his recommendations

Go get Mike Haviland Lou! Mike Haviland next Devils coach has a nice ring to it. lol. NJ native comes back home and coaches the team HE WANTS to coach. Announcement could come as early as Monday for either coach.

As for MacLean, he will eventually get his shot as a head coach in the NHL. Right now Lou feels he is best suited for the AHL Albany job with the future stars of the Devils. I would rather see MacLean stay in Albany too and get more experienced.

Edited by SatansDevils

If it is true I'm glad MacClean isn't in the running, again it would just be more of the same. This team needs a new direction behind the bench.

I get you want Haviland to be the next coach, but I don't get how people think having MacLean would be more of the same. Did you watch a ton of Lowell games last year? Nothing from his time as an assistant in NJ could possibly determine what kind of head coach he'd be and if it indeed be more of the same.

I think I know what he's getting at. Lou's the king of obfuscation, and in this case you can tell he's lying because he's moving his lips.

Triumph signing on as Rowdy? lol always fun to get to use a word that sends 1/3 of the people reading it to dictionary.com

though it's not to difficult to tell here anyways because everyone knows Lou is the king of double speak and saying a lot of nothing so yeah ;)