New Kovy Update ("As the Kovy Turns")

DevsFan7545

• Replies 12.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For the record, I'm pretty sure SD knew that there wasn't going to be an announcement tonight.

(...SOMEONE HAD TO SAY IT!)

Well he did say something was going to happen in one of his posts. So he covered his ass. Sorta. Not really. He fails.

Nah, cause Lou would have until October to free up the cap space, the signing doesn't hinge on an immediate trade.

I read you can only go over the cap by 10% during the summer. I didn't do all the math, but with Kovy's cap hit around 8.5M, I believe the Devils would be above by more than 10%. So, a deal would be neccessary before the official signing.

I read you can only go over the cap by 10% during the summer. I didn't do all the math, but with Kovy's cap hit around 8.5M, I believe the Devils would be above by more than 10%. So, a deal would be neccessary before the official signing.

Oh really? Maybe so, then. But I'm on vacation, so math is out of the question right now :lol:

no, they wouldn't be. i have them at 64.4M with an 8.57M deal to kovalchuk and including a 600k deal to fraser. 10% over the cap is 65.34.

Edited by Triumph

It would be beneficial to make necessary trades before being nailed to the wall by the salary cap. However, putting off officially signing kovalchuk until such can be accomplished would not be beneficial to my mental health, and I sincerely doubt that the kovalchuk camp would like being told to wait indefinitely until something can be done to put the pen to paper.

I'm guessing since Kovy said he'd make a decision today and he couldn't with the Devils because of being over the cap Grossman is just coming up with a statement to derail any "why didn't he decide today" questions so Lou can move some players and make some trades tonight or early tomorrow. Just my opinion.

It really makes no sense to not announce the signing due to Lou's inability to make some trades today. Unless Lou signed Kovalchuk to $10.5M per year, we have plenty of space to sign him and be well under the 10% over the cap that we can be.

Wht's with all the hat for Grossman? Obviously early in the day he really thought Kovy was going to sign with the Devils and tweeted that. (N)Єverson got word of the deal from a inside source and wrote his article.

Something tells me Grossman made that statement as a favor to Lou. It's a lot easier to trade Salvador or Zubrus, when it's not publicly "guaranteed" that your above the cap.

It really makes no sense to not announce the signing due to Lou's inability to make some trades today. Unless Lou signed Kovalchuk to $10.5M per year, we have plenty of space to sign him and be well under the 10% over the cap that we can be.

Again, it gets a lot harder to trade away players and not get ripped off when your above the cap. Its not about being able to go above the cap right now or not.

Edited by ben00rs

Again, it gets a lot harder to trade away players and not get ripped off when your above the cap. Its not about being able to go above the cap right now or not.

Agreed, but come on, which GM is not going to realize the reason Lou wants to suddenly trade Rolston / Salvador? It may not be official, but whichever GM is getting that phone call knows damn well the reason for the phone call.

http://www.capgeek.com/charts.php?Team=20

We have 4.7 MM of space and we can go 5.9 over

That means we could go to 10.6

that's at 18, and then 19 players. 3 more players (because of bonuses), figuring $9M (another number being thrown around) for Kovalchuk puts you over the amount. then you dump say, Rolston and Sal to get back under the cap at 20 players. but, back over the cap again when you go to 21/22, in a more manageable way.

Urbom and Correntes hits are north of $800K. Eckford's is currently unknown because he's not signed.

Baseless rumors, a 10-page argument, wishful posts, a "Marty" comment from LD, Posts that are Euphimisms for what Lou is doing, posts that are signature worthy, name-calling, 10-pages of thinking the player we wanted was in the bag, 10 pages of dissapointment that the player we wanted was not in the bag, 5 pages of anger at everyone who gave us hope, posters giving us info on page 35 that we knew on page 15, a poster pretending to be Lou, posts of the day, Admin power, and 40 pages of nonsense.

This thread has everything I wanted for X-Mas and it's only July.

Is there anything I forgot?

Edited by ben00rs

that's at 18, and then 19 players. 3 more players (because of bonuses), figuring $9M (another number being thrown around) for Kovalchuk puts you over the amount. then you dump say, Rolston and Sal to get back under the cap at 20 players. but, back over the cap again when you go to 21/22, in a more manageable way.

Urbom and Correntes hits are north of $800K. Eckford's is currently unknown because he's not signed.

BUT... Thats not right now. the only thing that matters is the # now.

For the record, I'm pretty sure SD knew that there wasn't going to be an announcement tonight.

(...SOMEONE HAD TO SAY IT!)

lol

Man this thread has exploded!.... 39 pages! LOL Damn Kovalchuk you are not the greatest player in the league just freakin sign somewhere. At this point I dont care where he plays just sign somewhere! Its apparent we dont have the cap room without moving someone. Kovalchuk needs to take a 1 year deal lower than what he wants and cash in next season! He is only 27! 1 yea at 6 million dollars to play a hockey game isnt a bad salary!

Baseless rumors, a 10-page argument, wishful posts, a "Marty" comment from LD, Posts that are Euphimisms for what Lou is doing, posts that are signature worthy, name-calling, 10-pages of thinking the player we wanted was in the bag, 10 pages of dissapointment that the player we wanted was not in the bag, 5 pages of anger at everyone who gave us hope, posters giving us info on page 35 that we knew on page 15, a poster pretending to be Lou, posts of the day, Admin power, and 40 pages of nonsense.

This thread has everything I wanted for X-Mas and it's only July.

Is there anything I forgot?

One problem, we haven't hit 40 pages yet.

BUT... Thats not right now. the only thing that matters is the # now.

if you have an actual plan, it matters. they should be gunning to get near the cap before making the signing. yes, I agree, if it's like pulling teeth, you give up and deal with it later. but when the key cogs in this situation have clauses, you better be damn sure you can get one of them to lift before you go forward.

lest you have to trade two players without clauses to make up for it. pick two players without clauses to move instead of Rolston or Elias if neither lifted.

pretty ugly, 'eh?