Canucks to retire Naslunds #19

Satans Hockey

36 members have voted

1. 1. Is he worthy of having his number retired?

• Yes
    • No

I don't have much of a problem with it. He was their leader and is only the 3rd number they are retiring. Sometimes it's just about what that player meant to that team.

Mike Vernon was no all-star most of the time, but he meant the world to Calgary when he was there. And that's why is #30 hangs in the rafters.

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=326912

I think this is a joke, yes he did play 12 seasons with them but he never won anything with them and he left on bad terms. The Canucks are one of the teams I watch almost all the time because they are on the late games and I really don't think he deserves this.

So take your vote, should he or not?

My vote is that I could care less what the Canucks do. However, since I'm going to Vancouver next Friday I will certainly inform everyone I meet of your opinion.

Being from Vancouver my opinion is that with this organization he deserves it. Sure he may not have been the best in the league, but he is the leader in goals (at the moment).

One of the things the Canucks organization values is community participation. Naslund was very active in the community, especially Canucks Place which is a kind of long term care facility for kids with long term illnesses. IMO it is the fact that he took that extra effort in the community over most other players that he is getting #19 retired. When it was up to debate i would have been fine with them retiring or not retiring #19 because it was such a borderline decision.

I doubt we'll see #10 retired because of the way Bure left this organization. Naslund left on very good terms by comparison. The media/city blamed Naslund, Naslund didn't dis the team/city when he left

just my 2 cents.

This is the Canucks afterall. They have never won anything. They are the same team that retired a number for their fans and played the most awkward, cheesy clip while doing so.

THAT was amazing. I can only imagine how awkward it must have been to witness it in person. (For those in the dark, you need to watch this.)

As for whether they should retire his number, who the hell am I to judge? I'm not a fan of the team in question, so I'm looking at it as an outsider.

But I like the topic. It's sort of reminiscent of the "HHoF or not?" threads from awhile back.

THAT was amazing. I can only imagine how awkward it must have been to witness it in person. (For those in the dark, you need to watch this.)

As for whether they should retire his number, who the hell am I to judge? I'm not a fan of the team in question, so I'm looking at it as an outsider.

But I like the topic. It's sort of reminiscent of the "HHoF or not?" threads from awhile back.

Sheesh that 7th man stuff was stupid. Thank god they axed that. Whoever the marketing person was that came up with that idea should be fired.

Well on one hand he is the franchise leader in goals and points. He also was a five time all-star with the team.

On the other hand he never won much with them and holds no single season records for the team.

I'm of the mindset that retiring jerseys should be limited to a very select group. (Especially as a Devils fan) So I voted "NO".

But based on the standards of the rest of the NHL, his jersey should definitely be retired.

I mean, I voted no if we're talking about NJ retirement standards. They're higher here. In 'Nucks land, like Rangerland, they retire anybody who can be considered a quality, career (or mostly) player. And it's not like he could have won the Cup himself. He did win MVP which is the best he could have individually done.