DEVILS SUPPORTERS SECTION - August 16th - come name the section and p

Satans Hockey

Goomba corrected the kill chant, as in, we did not wait until the players were in the defensive zone and the opposing team had possession. He corrected it in a nondickish way and we responded accordingly. Don't make this something it isn't (an issue). It was a first go, we wanted to see what worked and what didn't.

DEVILS (clap)(clap)(clap)

MARTY (clap) (clap)

KILL

LGD

I BELIEVE

and borrowed from 208

SAY YEAH YEAH YEAH WOOOOH

were all successful in my opinion. The "usa/metro" ohhh chant didn't work, nor did some of the ones that just popped up. Not a big deal, you don't know until you try.

I'm not trying to start anything. I just posted my viewpoint from tonight's game.

I am not trying to take away the fact that you were loud either. You guys definitely were.

208 is usually loud, but there are games that it is sparse and quieter - tonight was ne of those nights. Attendance and noise all around the arena was down. Don't forget - 208 isn't all STH either.

The location issue was not that it shouldn't be near a corner, but having it near a corner at the other end of the ice may spark new people to be loud, as you would have then have two sections to either side to work with, where 209/232 already have one side that is loud.

I am aware that the Red Bulls have a "supporters" section. My personal opinion is that the name offends STH, but others may feel differently.

The kill chant was more the expression/length of the individual "kill"s - Goomba tried to help correct that, but ended up giving up when it wasnt working- the timing of when to start/stop the chant improved as the game went on. Adam, I agree that there were several chants that worked well.

I have discussed this with Satans Hockey and told him that for a first try it was successful. Tonight's experience gives a building block to improve/change things so that the next time is more successful. He should be commended for putting everything together, especially with the short time to plan the specifics.

I don't really see why there has to be specific guidelines to the Kill chant but whatever. Anyways, the people in those corners usually cheer I think as well. I don't really think we want to sit at that end to be honest...I know I don't if I have a choice. I know 208 isn't all STH, but neither was tonight's 209 crowd. We all support NJ, but I think their is a difference between fans and supporters, hence why they call them supporters...if that makes any sense at all.

Edited by hurricane1091

There aren't specific guidelines, but when something is done the same way game after game, and then it gets sped up, it just feels rushed and its noticeably quick. Sort of like how some people had issue when they used the remix of Hells Bells with last year's intro video.

The other two corners aren't consistently loud - they are more the $10 line, so it varies by game.

There is a huge difference between the casual fan and the diehard fan, if that's what you mean.

I didn't intend to start a massive argument. I just wanted to post my feedback, and the name issue had already been brought up in the thread.

Fixing the kill chant to how its suppose to be shouldn't be a problem. There were a lot of people there tonight who probably haven't participated in the chant before which is what threw the timing off a bit. It's nothing we can't easily fix for next time.

All feedback is always welcome, it helps make things better in the long run but we are all Devils fans at the end of the day so it's all good :koolaid:

Edited by Satans Hockey

I don't think most sth even realized the name was 'supporters section', the banner wasn't real visible once people started standing the whole game. I've always said this cause it's true - fans just get jealous anytime other fans get attention, especially when said fans really don't seem to be there every game.

I do agree that while 208 is loud it isn't real populated so it's no big deal to have the section in 209. If you have a strong base of vocal fans maybe the support spreads throughout the arena as opposed to just having two small pockets and one bigger pocket.

And while I personally have no problem with the nonsense that 208 chants it obviously can be offensive to a few people. The Rolston sucks one is a new twist, it used to be 'goalie x sucks or star defenseman y sucks'.

The problem is the majority of the people want to be where the Devils attack 2x. When I first started posting about this idea I listed a poll of sections of potential places to go and 209 was picked.

Can't say I blame you, and from what I've heard of 233 there's no way you could do this in 232. They really are protective of their turf, to put it in a nice way. In fact, 233 seems to be filled with troublemakers that like to see other people get thrown out.

Does anyone have an estimate of how many were in 209 with you all?

Well there are about 20 or so seats to a row, 10 rows - about seven or eight of which were filled, seems to have been close to 150 people there, though that includes the regular group of sth's there (not many, maybe 25-30?).

Edited by NJDevs4978

Gotta be honest here, I sit in 226 for almost all games (unless I move for something like this) and I never hear 209.. Granted, it's across the entire arena, but that should give you an idea of how loud 209 normally is because I know they could hear us in 226 last night..

I put myself in their shoes.. If a loud group cam to 226 and I wasn't a part of it, I wouldnt be upset they were there, I'd just be mad I didn't know about it.. I'd want to join in too

-----

In terms of our name, I liked the one the team gave us on the big screen.. Incorporating JVB's love affair with the "Devils Army" theme (as cheesy as theme as it may be) will likely get the Devils to want to do this for us again in the future

Edited by Colin226

I think you guys should change your name from "supporters" to something else for no other reason than it's such a boring, redundant name. Like if the Devils had a mascot and named him NJ Devil... Well, I guess its par for the course then.

In all seriousness though, congrats on a successful debut!

i appreciate you coming on here, 525, and trying to explain away the animosity felt by some of the 208 group.

my issue is your [maybe not your belief personally] opinion of the term "supporters." and again, you might just be playing devil's advocate [no pun intended], but if STH are getting their panties in a bunch over a group calling themselves supporters, they need to grow the hell up. that'd be like the devils' fan club suing everyone not in it for calling themselves fans.

any person who spends 1 penny on anything Devils' related is a supporter. if you so much as watch one game for the team and cheer for them, you're supporting the cause. to be offended because you own season tickets and feel you are the only one's who can be called supporters is beyond pathetic. it screams of lindsey lohan syndrome, the "someone else is trying to do something so let me throw a hissy fit about something beyond so simple."

and god forbid people are more critical about how they spend their money and instead of shelling out full boat on a friday night and go with just one other person, they look to see how many they can bring for their buck. i know that for two games already this year, buying off stubhub or through a devils special allowed me to bring 5 extra people to games. so yeah, call me a fraud or whatever you want, for spending considerably less for a few tickets, we now have 3 NEW fans who WANT to come back to games, even though the games they've watched havent been the greatest.

once again, 525, this isnt a personal attack on you, just the "i'm mad at them for calling themselves supporters" argument.

as for the supporters of the supporters from 208, thank you for helping out with the chants, including Goomba who i did listen to and tried to spread the word around to slow the "kill" chant down. we'll get better over time and practice.

as for the name, a post above said "Hades" how about "The Devils Minions"?

I was able to be around sections 101-107 last night. It was during the 3rd. I noticed a few times when section 232 would start the LGD chants, they were pretty loud. But only one time out of about 5, I saw 209 getting involved with the chant, and it was at the end of it. I know the chant could be heard from the 209 section. I just don't know why the section didn't get involved to help make the chant louder. Also, I noticed no one clapping after a Devils Dancer segment. Although they are kind of lame, I think if you're supporting the Devils, you need to support everything. Including the Devils dancers. But you guys did do a good job. I liked the faster PK chant too.

Ya I wanted to make sure I came on and give my support, I loved seeing you guys last night and I would have been there but I was given free ones...okay so I'm a cheep one. Either way I hope you are able to do it again and make it a regular occurrence, I love the idea of a standing section. I think every fan and the devils employees enjoyed it as well. Also for those that have a problem, I think you are missing the point, this sets up the long term goal of a standing only devils fan section which I think everyone can agree is a terrific idea.

oh and Devils Army things sucks, bring back the legion and make the converted truck the legion mobile =-)

I think a section in the 100's would be better for having the players actual hear more of the chants, etc.

I find it hysterical that there are groups that are territorial about there seats. Too funny. Again, a nice debut, but will it happen again??? And be better? I am curious to see.

Had a great time being with the folks at 209. I'm the guy in row 3 (moar liek row 2, amiright) wearing a cheap t-shirt in comparison to many of the others wearing jerseys. :P

I think what we have done so far has been a great start despite a few errors. There's always room for improvement. Vic did bring up a good point in that we should support everything. I did happen to show support for random things (ice sweepers, dancers, even the Devils Hot Seat), and I had fun doing that even if I was the only one that did.

While a few of the chants were botched a bit, we should give those another chance and/or at least have the time to practice. In whichever case, I look forward to doing this again.

I was able to be around sections 101-107 last night. It was during the 3rd. I noticed a few times when section 232 would start the LGD chants, they were pretty loud. But only one time out of about 5, I saw 209 getting involved with the chant, and it was at the end of it. I know the chant could be heard from the 209 section. I just don't know why the section didn't get involved to help make the chant louder. Also, I noticed no one clapping after a Devils Dancer segment. Although they are kind of lame, I think if you're supporting the Devils, you need to support everything. Including the Devils dancers. But you guys did do a good job. I liked the faster PK chant too.

In contrast, why didn't 232 join us the 50 other times we started doing the chant? I heard them a few times but it was barely loud and we just got done doing it I think. We got involved in Bauman's chant when he did it over there. It really wasn't that easy to hear stuff from over there to be honest.

Edited by hurricane1091

My goal here is to eventually have this become an every game thing that the Devils themselves promote. I would like to do it every game but I'm unsure if I can get that many people for every game by just promoting it myself. All the Devils need to do is pick whatever section they want us in and then starting promoting it on their website and at the games and it will easily be filled close to capacity every night.