Devils Sens game thread

Pepperkorn

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just listening. According to the announcers this game is boring and the Devils haven't generated much of anything. Just by listneing you could tell this game doesn't seem very interesting.

it is boring. even if the devils were up 3-0, i would tell you that there is no real flow.

the sens clutch more than you would imagine. watch the 3rd period for this and you'll see that any devils player within 3 feet of a senator gets tugged on in someway.

of course, that's european defense, so i can understand it.

Remind me not to post that the team looks good so early on... I still do think they looked good the first 5 minutes.. but the second i entered my post, they fell apart.. i've learned my lesson... I AM NOT BAD LUCK!

Just listening. According to the announcers this game is boring and the Devils haven't generated much of anything. Just by listneing you could tell this game doesn't seem very interesting.

it is boring. even if the devils were up 3-0, i would tell you that there is no real flow.

the sens clutch more than you would imagine. watch the 3rd period for this and you'll see that any devils player within 3 feet of a senator gets tugged on in someway.

of course, that's european defense, so i can understand it.

It is allways boring when your favorite team is losing

Turnovers and break downs in the defensive coverage. The PPG because Larionov fell behind the play is a classic reason to bench him. There is just to much dead wood on this team right now and it is starting to catch up. When two of your lines are essentially filler you aren't going to win many games.

It's the middle of January...Rip Van Friesen better wake up soon because the Gomez/Elias tandem is our only hope for goals basically. And Larinothing (nod to DM) is this year's Smehlik, O'Donnell, it seems as if every year we have a vet or two that's an utter waste (though I suppose same could be said of any team).

Tough loss against a very good team...I guess the Senators are really trying to make a statement.... I got to listen to the Devils game, and was not too happy... I hate to say slump but they are struggling... and I dont see any hunger to their game.. opinions?

This is not an easy stretch for us Devils fans right now.... I hope for a light at the end of this tunnel soon

Even this eternal optimist has little good to say about last night, except what was already said by another optimist. At least Philly lost last night also! They did look good in the first half of the game. Just seem to have lagged in the third period. I still held out hope for a couple of quick goals to bring them into range but then after the fourth by Ottawa I gave up! God, I hope Scotty gets well soon!!!! And Langs for that matter. :pray:

omg... before I even read this thread... what the hell was that?

just...

just...

omg.

what was UP with that? that? that? what the hell was THAT even????

and of course I think it was all my fault for the skeptic billious with nerves smilie... :argh:

Oh yeah so when Whitey said "we cant play Scotty's game" did he mean just DEFENSE in general? OMG!!!!!!!!!!! Because ...

know what, forget it. everyone saw.

Edited by Pepperkorn

sunds, I hope you were being sarcastic and I'm mean dripping with sarcasm when you said these guys can't be blamed... the effort was there? OK even if I give you that WHAT GOOD IS EFFORT WITHOUT ANY FOCUS WHATSOEVER???????????????????????????????????????

What the heck guys! They SUCKED! No trade can help what I witnessed! It's like they had NO concentration at ALL! Like they were all day dreaming about winning the cup or something?

OK, see what I see is, yeah, they're playing hockey... they have been and stuff all along ... but they aren't in the REAL game. it's like they're playing in mist or have a veil over their eyes or something they don't see the reality of the situation. That is what became crystal clear to me last night. It's so hard to find fault from day one of this slide because they aren't quiet NOT playing or making gigantic gaffes positioning isn't horrific -- you know but, well I guess I did say it before.. it's just all those little one second delays adn they're getting bigger and bigger. it's traumatic. It's not like they think they have skills they don't have.. :unsure: I don't think... it's just :argh: maybe I'm just wrong - you know I tend to generalize myself -- really what these guys need is to get really specific... weirdness -- but not like 2001-02 where they needed to re-learn the basics of hockey :lol: wow this sucks :argh:

Man that was ugly.

First of all, since I was bringing someone who had not been to many hockey games, it would have been nice to see some effort out of the guys instead of watching them getting beaten to every puck and give up odd-man rushes. My friend turned to me and said, "Sue, the Devils are skating like a bunch of slow white guys. The other team isn't. What is the matter with NJ?". Actually, it would have been nice to see some effort no matter what, but it really galled me to have a potential new fan sitting there with me and seeing THAT.

Second, the Sens were actually finishing their checks. The Devils just didn't seem interested. Of course, since they were a step behind all night, maybe there were no checks to finish.

Third, the shot total for NJ had to be bogus. They couldn't have put 26 shots on goal. They had about 8 shots after 2 periods and they didn't play well enough in the 3rd to finish with 26 shots.

Fourth, get rid of Larionov. Get rid of him now. He's taking up valuable oxygen that the other players need to play.

Finally, the game was made truly unbearable by the row of fans behind me. I understand that they were disappointed in the game and looking for something to make it interesting. However, their continual (once every minute) screaming of the following made me want to throttle them:

"Hit somebody"

"Hit hit with your stick" (Sue thinks...yeah, JUST what the Devs need, a SLASHING penalty!!!)

"Are you just going to take that...punch him in the face" (This is after a Devil has been checked legally by a Sen)

"Shoot the fvcking puck" (even when they were in their own zone, which I thought was really interesting)

"Do you realize you are losing to CANADIANS?????" (This one was truly bizzare, since although the team is based in Canada, most of the players are Europeans, and most of the Devils are actually Canadians. But let's not sweat the details)

They did have a few interesting ideas, like having Schwabbie take over in net and dressing Marty as a forward. He couldn't do worse. Also, when they showed the "Kiss-Cam", one of the guys yelled, "Hey, they're getting more action than we're seeing" which was pretty funny, and unfortunately true.

I think NJ is going to get their colletive asses kicked on Thursday by the Rangers. Yuck.

I only saw short stretches of the game, but from what I've been seeing, and from the comments of those of you who have watched every game closely, it just seems to me that PK's right - they aren't mentally focused. Maybe they're tired - mentally & physically. And there isn't enough pure skill to make up for the mental lapses or physical tiredness. This team, more than probably any other, depends upon a whole team system, and almost perfect defensive play night in and night out. When that isn't there - for whatever reason - there isn't the offensive capability - especially with Jamie out - to overcome it.

Maybe I'm being Mrs. Obvious here - it wouldn't be the first time - but that's just my two cents worth.

I hope they come out of it soon, or trade for some help.