Huge NHL/NBC deal

ZeroGravityFat

So translation:

The NHL is comfortable with its status of somewhere around the 5th or 6th most relevant sport in America...which is ok, as long as they clearly understand that.

And we will continue to see NBC show the games at crap times involving the same tired teams (DET, PHI, NYR are the Holy Trinity of NBC, if those teams are not involved, they do not care)

Bravo NHL, Bravo! :rolleyes:

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another name change? OLN...Versus...???

"NBC will continue to broadcast a national regular game of the week, as well as the Winter Classic. Versus -- which NBC Sports Group chairman Dick Ebersol hinted will soon be getting a new identity -- will also continue to broadcast a game of the week, as well as the league's annual All-Star Game and any future Heritage Classic outdoor games held in Canada."

The new name will have NBC in it somewhere apparently (i.e. NBC Sports Channel) or something to that effect. It gives them more brand recognition. Its a smart move. Versus was a stupid name to begin with.

So translation:

The NHL is comfortable with its status of somewhere around the 5th or 6th most relevant sport in America...which is ok, as long as they clearly understand that.

And we will continue to see NBC show the games at crap times involving the same tired teams (DET, PHI, NYR are the Holy Trinity of NBC, if those teams are not involved, they do not care)

pretty sure you forgot 'SIDNEY CROSBY and some other players from pitt'

Seems to me that they chose to be the number one sport for NBC and Versus rather than be somewhere behind cheerleading on ESPN and ABC. IMO, a very good move.

Its the only sport besides golf on NBC besides the olympics. Ever since NBC lost NBA and NFL they've been virtually irrelevant in the sports world.

I dont mind the deal. It'd be buried on ESPN considering how much they have (NFL, NBA, MLB, etc) and at least they seem to be making an effort with certain things. It remains to be seen how it turns out. 10 years is a long time though. By the time the deal is done, Lou will not be GM, Marty, Patty, and numerous other players will be retired, and Id bet Bettman is not commish anymore. Time is crazy.

when did the NFL leave NBC? it's still there.

NBC is a second-rate network but that's what the NHL needs - a first rate network would be trying to push them aside. remember when NJ won the cup and we got almost no post-game?

plus, NBC and the NHL's demographics line up reasonably well. it's a good fit.

10 Years?

The NHL should be fined for signing such a long contract.

They should also lose a 1st Round draft pick in 1 of the next 4 drafts....

Heh. The NBA's deal with Disney is 8 years, so its not extraordinarily long. MLB is also 8 with them.

Hell, the NFL's deal with ESPN goes past 2020, at least in respect to MNF.

when did the NFL leave NBC? it's still there.

NBC is a second-rate network but that's what the NHL needs - a first rate network would be trying to push them aside. remember when NJ won the cup and we got almost no post-game?

plus, NBC and the NHL's demographics line up reasonably well. it's a good fit.

Haha I totally forgot that NBC got NFL back with Sunday Night Football.

interesting that the 2nd Round a/k/a Conference Semi-Finals will be exclusive to NBC/Versus. Currently it is only the Conference Finals/Cup Final done this way.

Now if they can ever get ALL Cup Final games on "NBC-only" then it will be a big step...

Edited by BlueSkirt

I also read it to say that ALL playoff games will be televised nationally -- so the first round games will all be on Versus, but I guess the local cable network gets priority in their area for this round ?.

After that, all games will be on Versus/NBC only. Good steps, as long as there's no horse race pre-game show on....

The NHL said it is on pace this season to set a record for total revenue, surpassing $2.9 billion overall.

From the Yahoo version of this story. I guess the league is finally lurching out of its red ink. Interesting they say "revenue" instead of profit too.

So translation:

Amazing how many people suck ESPN's dick and don't understand where hockey is on THEIR totem pole. The further they stay away from ESPN, the better. Being buried on ESPN2 for one game a week is not worth the "name recognition". This is a monster TV deal considering where they were 5 years ago, and the NHL is a cash business, they NEED the income intake.

People will piss and moan about ESPN's coverage of everything other than hockey, but then say hockey should be on there.

The NHL said it is on pace this season to set a record for total revenue, surpassing $2.9 billion overall.

From the Yahoo version of this story. I guess the league is finally lurching out of its red ink. Interesting they say "revenue" instead of profit too.

They were supposedly at $2.1 billion at the time of the lockout, it's actually a bit of an accomplishment to go up almost 50% in revenue since losing a season.

..here, maybe this will help you.

Two billion dollars looks like this: $2,000,000,000.00

I seems like a lot of cash now, but NBC has seen the explosion of youth hockey programs across the USA. traditional sports are starting to lose out to Ice hockey and Lax in rec leagues in terms of competition for good young athletes. these 6 to 16 year olds will be a key target audience in the next 10 years.

hell, did i actually see a CCM superlites commercial on verses

Starting next playoffs in 2012

First Round is not exclusive to NBC/Versus.

Second Round (Conference Semis) has a possible 28 games - of which 24 will be broadcast on Versus & the other 4 on NBC.

Third Round (Conference Finals) has a possible 14 games - of which 12 will be on Versus & the other 2 on NBC.

Fourth Round (Cup Final) NBC/Versus share the 7 possible games in this round.

I seems like a lot of cash now, but NBC has seen the explosion of youth hockey programs across the USA. traditional sports are starting to lose out to Ice hockey and Lax in rec leagues in terms of competition for good young athletes. these 6 to 16 year olds will be a key target audience in the next 10 years.

hell, did i actually see a CCM superlites commercial on verses

people were saying this 15 years ago, and people have been saying this about soccer for 30 years. hockey is an extremely expensive sport to play relative to the four major team sports.

It's not a bad deal and I'm glad the NHL stayed away from ESPN. VS > ESPN2. Although, in 10 years will anyone be watching cable TV as we know it anyway? Lots of us will be watching on our mobile devices, tablets and laptops. I wonder if they put any of that into the deal?

if they can't make the same amount of money they do on cable TV on mobile devices, etc., then no, i don't think you will be watching 'TV' on those devices (legally).

people were saying this 15 years ago, and people have been saying this about soccer for 30 years. hockey is an extremely expensive sport to play relative to the four major team sports.

Maybe its because my 10 year old is playing now and cablevision has MSG Varsity televising HS games, but it seems like hockeys popularity and exposure at the youth level is expanding significantly. HS club teams, girls teams, urban kids, are all increasing the sport. will that translate into increased TV viewership?

I think it will.

will it ever be football or baseball? no way, but it has upside and should have potential to double viewership

Edited by EdgeControl

There is a difference between 2 billion spent...and 2 billion wisely spent.

Ill enjoy the Stanley Cup playoffs on Versus tonight as the Buffalo Philly game is on? Oh wait, it is NOT...the 2nd game in this series that is NOT on TV.

I guess Versus and NBC are too concerned about the dynamic Coyotes.

Pitiful.

Edited by LOTCB

Honestly, I like the deal. Like Beezer suggests, if the NHL and NBC used USA as the primary cable channel for the league and used NBC Sports Channel (or however they choose to rebrand Versus) as a secondary cable channel so more teams can be broadcast nationally, I think this deal will wind up being awesome for the league.

If anything, it'll be the other way around. Versus will continue to be the main channel and USA will pick up extras.

Does this mean it didn't happen?

I do believe he was talking about the USA comedy "Psych", about a detective who pretends to be a psychic.

Makes figuring out what games are on for the next 10 years very easy.

NBC's Broadcasting Method:

Choose one of the following:

1. Flyers

2. Rangers

3. Red Wings

4. Blackhawks

Choose one of the following opponents:

1. Capitals

2. Pittsburgh

If all else fails, boardcast Pittsburgh vs Washington and hype Crosby vs Ovy until all viewers go insane.

And this differs from how ESPN did things (minus Crosby and Ovechkin) how? Back then you could probably swap Colorado for Chicago, but that's about it.