Around the League 15-16 Edition

devilsrule33

44 minutes ago, Triumph said:

You cannot offer an extra year unless a player was on your roster as of the trade deadline.

i didn't know that. that's actually something that hurts a team that's going to lose a big time UFA. Think about it - if Stamkos is set on going to Toronto, and TB knows this, and he wants the 8th year, wouldn't it behoove TB to say to Toronto - hey, trade us something so you can do that.

i don't see who's against the idea of whoever has your rights, whenever it is, gets to offer the 8th year.

it's like when lebron went to miami - the heat traded the cavs a 1st rounder so they could offer him more $ under the Bird-rule.

It smacks of collusion. At least in the NBA teams only have a very limited amount of picks.  There's also the complication of canceled sign-and-trade deals.  The eight-year rule is meant to help teams retain their own players - having a trade option just removes that in favor of the ability to get assets.

If Rangers had given Yandle 6.35 (what he signed for) is still less than D. Stepan is being paid. I think PMD types are hard to find, I agree with above i wish Shero had signed him for same amount. 

6 hours ago, Lateralous said:

Aaron Portzline ‏@Aportzline now13 seconds ago

Many convinced #CBJ trading the No. 3 overall pick. It's all over the place across the league. Could Jarmo know something about the Finns?

If true, Davidson/Jarmo shouldn't try to get too cute with this pick.  Be grateful that you got lucky in the lottery and just take Puljujarvi and then fix your team and cap in other moves.   

Jarmo was on "Game Day" this morning w/ S. Koulias. Would tip his hat, but they are very prepared for tomorrow. Oddly, he said he's never picked a Finnish player.

Wonder if that practice will change.  Other guests were on as well (Eric engel)  & said that picks 6-15 are all same level. Unless someone is convinced like Sergachev is next Bobby Orr they won't move up or down. A guy who is a center (Luc dubois) is more valuable than a straight out winger Habs might try to move & take him being French Ca.) Also, folks were saying Logan Brown will be very good. (because of his offensive skills) Habs would be happy  they have M. MacCarron & he's one dimensional  & not sure what that dimension is. 

Maybe we should be taking a longer look at Brown? Can't have enough size down the middle

24 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Marc Bergevin to address the media at 5:30. Apparently, rumors are flying that Subban may have been traded. Word is Montreal asked Edmonton for Draisaitl and #4.

ah please. Send that freagin clown out west so that we don't have to hear about him all the time around here lol

Marc Bergevin to address the media at 5:30. Apparently, rumors are flying that Subban may have been traded. Word is Montreal asked Edmonton for Draisaitl and #4.

ah please. Send that freagin clown out west so that we don't have to hear about him all the time around here lol

5:40 and still nothing... Wouldn't shock me if the media jumped the gun and nothing ends up happening.

3 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

5:40 and still nothing... Wouldn't shock me if the media jumped the gun and nothing ends up happening.

they just announced that it would be pushed to 6:15...

Saddly what i think it will be is that he will announce that Subban will NOT be traded, just to calm things down and take away any distraction for tomorrow.

But hopefully im wrong

Edited by SterioDesign

they just announced that it would be pushed to 6:15...

Saddly what i think it will be is that he will announce that Subban will NOT be traded, just to calm things down and take away any distraction for tomorrow.

But hopefully im wrong

If there's no announcement to make, then don't have a press conference. When you call a press conference, people assume you have something to inform them of... If Bergevin is holding a press conference to tell everyone 'status quo', then that's pretty fvcking lame.

In related news, Chiarelli came out tonight and said they're in 'active discussions' to acquire a defenseman...

well they did make a push for Subban so obviously. I'm assuming they'll join the shattenkirk derby

There's been Severson speculation with Edmonton too... Tomorrow night should be interesting.

Shattenkirk is a one yr deal guy right now and strong rumors he intends to tear UFA unless he gets a big deal.  Not sure that's a move for Chiarelli to make.

28 minutes ago, coldply123 said:

Shattenkirk is a one yr deal guy right now and strong rumors he intends to tear UFA unless he gets a big deal.  Not sure that's a move for Chiarelli to make.

They're saying a deal would be contingent on an extension being negotiated.

1 hour ago, Daniel said:

They're saying a deal would be contingent on an extension being negotiated.

Which gives him leverage to choose a suitor.  I don't see Shatt wanting to go to Edmonton. I've heard he'd prefer East Coast either Bruins, Rangers, Wings perhaps.  

1 hour ago, MadDog2020 said:

Elliotte Friedman ‏@FriedgeHNIC:

Rumbling: FLA preparing eight-year, $60M-ish extension for Aaron Ekblad. He can sign any time after July 1. Team and agent decline comment.

Cue SD bringing up Zach leaving again.