Mark Fayne

Devs4LIFE

So since I'm bored I figured that throughout the summer I would start threads dedicated to random players on the team for everyone to talk about. We can discuss their value to the team whether or not they will make the team next year, favorite moments, you name it. I decided to kick things off I would start the first thread on Mark Fayne.

Stats: GP:57 G:4 A:10 +/-:4 PIM:10 TOI/g:17:50

I thought that in his rookie season Mark Fayne played above and beyond what we could have expected from him, almost immediately Lemaire put him on a top D pairing with Tallinder where he helped shut down the oppositions' top lines and was an integral part of our almost magical race to the playoffs. He had rookie moments that's for sure but he was also a fairly steady player in all three zones.

I like Fayne because he can do a little bit of everything from hitting to blocking shots to scoring flukey goals, he seems to have a knack for getting the puck on net even though he doesn't have the best shot but as we all know just because you can shoot fast doesn't mean you're going to score lots of goals (I'm looking at you Brian Rolston).

Anyway what does everyone think of him? Was his impressive rookie season just a fluke? Will he play as well under another coach? Does he have a spot on the team or will another prospect push him out? Discuss.

Mark Fayne clip:

I remember when he first came up how everyone (including myself) was just about ready to throw him under the bus. So many stupid mistakes and 'rookie moments'

But he definitely did turn his game around towards the end up the year (during the playoff push especially). Hopefully he keeps improving this year

He does have a great shot off the point but he can use some work. Im just excited to see what happens after the camp between him and a few other dudes battling for those few spots left in the roster as far as D goes.

I am a fan of Taormina, but Fayne has 5 inches in height on Matt....

Edited by Quinn01

I remember the day Fayne got called up. A lot of us were like "who's this guy?"

Imagine one day playing for a minor league affiliate and then on short notice being told to suit up for the bigs on a depleted D core with a dysfunctional team. Fayne answered the bell and came up with 14 points in 57 games. He was really one bright spot on this team last seaon.

I remember the day Fayne got called up. A lot of us were like "who's this guy?"

Imagine one day playing for a minor league affiliate and then on short notice being told to suit up for the bigs on a depleted D core with a dysfunctional team. Fayne answered the bell and came up with 14 points in 57 games. He was really one bright spot on this team last seaon.

Exactly, he did all of the small things right and seemed to improve as the season went on.

Good thread.

I'm as high on Fayne as anyone - he has the overall skills to be a top defenseman. He skates very well, he has that good first pass, he's got good offensive sense, and he seems to make the right play a large percentage of the time. Will he get to that next level is anyone's guess, but if things go right, I could easily see him being a 23 minute a game all situations defenseman next season.

His +10 was mostly deserved - according to average luck, he should have been a +5.

I know a lot of people are high on Taormina, and there have been a lot of comparisons between him and Fayne. Imo, I think the jury is out on Taormina still. He's returning from injury, but mostly we just haven't seen enough of him yet, and he hasn't had the amount of opportunity to prove himself as Fayne has. There's great potential with both of these guys, but I think Fayne has had that chance to prove himself, and he has done so as well as you could ask for a first year pro. I'm excited for his future.

To some degree, I think both of these guys are still in a "can they keep it going" kind of evaluation mode. I just have more confidence in Fayne to pass that evaluation at this point in time (not that they both won't), considering the wealth of evidence from last season that supports his capability to be a full-time NHL player.

I notice a lot of people forgetting Fayne when projecting the future. Fayne played his way to a roster spot this coming season and I think he could be a damn good player for years if he keeps up what he's doing.

Probably because Fayne's celing isn't as high as two or three of the guys coming up behind him, and you have to think at least Tallinder and Volchenkov will be here the next three years. Greene's signed for that long but that doesn't mean he has to finish out his contract here.

To me Fayne's celing is about what Tallinder is now or maybe slightly above it, which isn't that bad but not someone that's irreplacable down the road imo.

Echoing sentiments in this thread, Fayne first seemed like he was a bit out of place and wouldn't last long. It was great to see him take such large strides towards improvement, where he had an at-his-best-Paul Martin quality to him for stretches of time: when he was on the ice, it's possible he'd make a positional mistake, but not very likely.

Funny how these things go. Remember Olivier Magnan-Grenier's first game with the Devils, in Montreal? He hit everything that moved and looked like a rock out there. Couldn't keep it up though, and his stint eventually ran out.