Getzlaf Re-signs with ANA

jagknife

I had a Ranger fan friend just text me saying "[we're] lucky the Ducks got him, otherwise he'd be a blueshirt next summer"

I kindly reminded him that they have to sign 6 players with just under $10 million of space. Getzlaf woulda put them with just under a million for 5.

Brad Richards makes $57M in the first 7 years of his contract, and he was older than Getzlaf when he signed his deal.

Perry will probably get between 8.5M and 9M.  Thankfully I don't think the Devils are the team that gives out that contract.

Ironically, Richards is already being talked about as a buyout candidate for the Rags at the end of this season.  $8.25 million/yr. is a ton of money for most players outside of Crosby, Malkin, and Stamkos.  He's not even near worth that in my mind.  It makes Zajac's contract look like a bargain (ok, maybe not).

I can't justify paying a player more than Crosby who is probably the most marketable/recognizable and talented player in the league right now.  If Perry's asking price is in that range, he can be someone else's problem.   

Ironically, Richards is already being talked about as a buyout candidate for the Rags at the end of this season.  $8.25 million/yr. is a ton of money for most players outside of Crosby, Malkin, and Stamkos.  He's not even near worth that in my mind.  It makes Zajac's contract look like a bargain (ok, maybe not).

I can't justify paying a player more than Crosby who is probably the most marketable/recognizable and talented player in the league right now.  If Perry's asking price is in that range, he can be someone else's problem.   

By the 5 year mark of Crosby's contract, there will be 10 guys making more than him.  Comps don't matter, it's all about what the market is willing to pay.  This is why if you go back to the highest paid player in e.g. MLB in a random year, you will find hilarious disparities.  The market may not have paid 8.25M per year but it would've come awfully close.

Brad Richards makes $57M in the first 7 years of his contract, and he was older than Getzlaf when he signed his deal.

Perry will probably get between 8.5M and 9M.  Thankfully I don't think the Devils are the team that gives out that contract.

Amazingly Richards makes $57M in the first 6 years of his contract actually, so it's even worse.

http://www.capgeek.com/player/690

I think it's a fair deal for Getzlaf, but considering other teams could only offer 7 year deals I do think it's uncertain someone would have beaten that offer in UFA and the Ducks maybe could have waited. A 7 year deal worth 66M is a AAV of ~9.5, which would be difficult for another team to handle. Maybe Getzlaf prefers a 7 year deal worth $63M for an AAV of 9.0 M. Someone would have offered that I bet at least but it's not entirely clear which contract is better. It only takes one legitimate offer though...

Edited by halfsharkalligatorhalfman

If Crosby signed his deal under this CBA, and assuming he wasn't going to give a home town discount, he'd probably end up with something in the neighborhood of 8 years/$85 million.  If he was signed by another team, he'd probably get 7 years/$77 million. 

Malkin will probably end up being a $9.5 to $10 million cap hit to someone. 

This, by the way, is exactly what the new CBA was designed to do.

I had a Ranger fan friend just text me saying "[we're] lucky the Ducks got him, otherwise he'd be a blueshirt next summer"

I kindly reminded him that they have to sign 6 players with just under $10 million of space. Getzlaf woulda put them with just under a million for 5.

If so inclined, the Rangers could amnesty Gaborik or Richards and sign a big name free agent either this year or next year. 

If so inclined, the Rangers could amnesty Gaborik or Richards and sign a big name free agent either this year or next year.

Yeah I was just thinking that. The UFA market this year is going to crazy. There are two competing forces on the market. The cap is lowering 6 million which should limit teams' spending, but the Amnesty buyouts for bad contracts is going to give them more flexibility. Add to this the max contract lengths and I wouldn't be surprised to see someone like Perry's cap hit be anywhere from 7 to 10 Million dollars.

Huge overpayment, guess perry is done in ANA for sure now. On topic with the offseason, I think it will be a very interesting summer for the devils. And I say that in a good way. With the cap space we have, young kids in the system coming up, possibly use of buyout, I think they could maybe pick up some good pieces to this team in the summer.

Huge overpayment, guess perry is done in ANA for sure now. On topic with the offseason, I think it will be a very interesting summer for the devils. And I say that in a good way. With the cap space we have, young kids in the system coming up, possibly use of buyout, I think they could maybe pick up some good pieces to this team in the summer.

The Devils are out of the big free agent game for the foreseeable future, except if it's re-signing their own players.  They really never were in it, except for Kovy, which was a one time deal.

Not really.  They have to re-sign Hagelin, Stepan, and McDonagh this off-season.  Even if each of them only get the 2 year contract treatment, I expect that to cost them $8M/season.  The year after that, most of the team is either UFA or RFA.  They have to be banking on a $9M contract for Lundqvist, $6M for Calalhan, etc.  I also think the Gaborik contract is easily traded if they're so inclined.

Amazingly Richards makes $57M in the first 6 years of his contract actually, so it's even worse.

http://www.capgeek.com/player/690

I think it's a fair deal for Getzlaf, but considering other teams could only offer 7 year deals I do think it's uncertain someone would have beaten that offer in UFA and the Ducks maybe could have waited. A 7 year deal worth 66M is a AAV of ~9.5, which would be difficult for another team to handle. Maybe Getzlaf prefers a 7 year deal worth $63M for an AAV of 9.0 M. Someone would have offered that I bet at least but it's not entirely clear which contract is better. It only takes one legitimate offer though...

Getzlaf would be 35 at the end of a 7 year contract.  Is it unfair to assume that he would get 5M a year coming off that?  If injuries don't do him in he still should be a solid 2nd line center.

Getzlaf would be 35 at the end of a 7 year contract.  Is it unfair to assume that he would get 5M a year coming off that?  If injuries don't do him in he still should be a solid 2nd line center.

Maybe Getzlaf even would have been better off taking a 6 year / 9-10M per deal. That way he could get one last Prongeresque contract before the 35+ threshold.