Cammalleri to Wear #13

Jimmy Leeds

this was bound to happen sooner or later..well maybe not the number 13 thing but with the number thing in general.. you can only stay below the number #30 for so long before you have no choice..as been said there will be 5 retired numbers up in the rafters soon..

Being furious that an all time great wore #68 even though we've had a handful of guys do it seems rather odd.

Also, either "furious" is too strong a word, or some of you guys are pretty easy to get riled up.

When was Josefson not 16? Am I forgetting something?

He wore #9 for the season after Parise left.

If it were up to Lou, numbers would be banished. Names on the back of jerseys, too. The Devils of 1987-2015 were all about the logo on the front. The low jersey number was just another way of keeping the focus on the logo. There was no such thing is "no numbers higher than 30" ... it was just that lower numbers were used first. Reid Simpson was #33, Steve Thomas was #32. There are others I forget. 

The whole no #13 thing was yet another thing that made the Devils unique. 

Here's the list:

44 Stephane Richer (1992-2002)

45 Steve Brule (2000)

47 Stephen Gionta (2012)

54 Tim Sestito (2012)

68 Jaromir Jagr (2014-2015)

88 Garry Howatt (1983)

88 Rocky Trottier (1984)

89 Alexander Mogilny (2000-2006)

93 Doug Gilmour (1997-1998)

These numbers for Brule, Gionta, and Sestito have to be drawn from the exhibition games they played, because they didn't play regular season games with those numbers.

With change comes more change as fans we must accept these changes. If he wants to wear 13 it's OK with me and the same for beards. As long as they play hard for 60 minutes.

sure but it's really not as if wearing a certain number or having a beard could possibly affect the play. That's why it's stupid. If it would be anything like playing with jewelry or wear earphones while playing.... sure i could get behind those rules but having a beard and a # won't affect your play at all. Unless of course if your beard is 5 feet long or something

he did and some other 30+ number in a few pre-season games. so thats 4

Cmon, preseason numbers shouldn't count.  Fringe guys in preseason kind of get what they get.  Parise wore #51 in his first preseason. 

I honestly spend very little time worried about whether other dudes have facial hair.

This does mean, however, I have to get a Cammalleri jersey, as 13 was my number when i played and I've been waiting almost 30 years for someone to wear it.

Cmon, preseason numbers shouldn't count.  Fringe guys in preseason kind of get what they get.  Parise wore #51 in his first preseason. 

I actually have a game worn Adam Henrique 2011-12 preseason jersey where he wore #51 as well.  I guess that number is good luck haha.

I like it as it is unique.  There is only 2 Henrique gamers with that number floating around out there.

I actually have a game worn Adam Henrique 2011-12 preseason jersey where he wore #51 as well.  I guess that number is good luck haha.

I like it as it is unique.  There is only 2 Henrique gamers with that number floating around out there.

I actually wanted Parise to keep #51, for that reason...something a little different. 

where did i say this whole thing was big deal or wtv? All i said is that he wore multiple numbers in a short span of time. He did. Wearing even more than 1 is "multiple", he did wear 4 numbers through his time in NJ to some extend. It's simply a technical fact. Not sure why there's that much arguing about this. Then is wearing 3 numbers instead of 4 really throwing my comment out of the window?

I guess if i have to be more specific. For awhile it's fine the under 30 thing, its traditional, the whole front logo is everything philosophie and all. But after awhile it's making things really complicated since you're restrained to less than 30 numbers really. Players coming in who can't get their number they wore all their whole lives, the same # wore by like 5-6 players through the years. Plus then you have retired numbers so you have even less to play with.

Of course who supports it will say it's no big deal it's just a number, deal with it bla bla bla and that's fair. But some players and fans really care about that sh!t and that's fair too, nobody is better than the other in this case. So unless there's a really "good reason" behind not having it. Why make things more complicated when it doesn't have to. And that's my point.

Edited by SterioDesign

I actually wanted Parise to keep #51, for that reason...something a little different. 

I actually want to bring the Henrique 51 jersey to his next signing to take a pic of me and him with it (not to get it signed though).  To make the wait in line go faster, I am thinking of counting how many times I get asked or mentioned by people about the number on the jersey lol.

I actually hadn't considered the fact that we're gonna have 5 numbers in the rafters within the next few years. I suppose the no numbers over 30 thing had to go at some point. Wouldn't be totally surprised if #6 was gone within the decade either.

But I did appreciate the tradition. I was furious that Jagr wore 68.

There's no planet where a sure fire Hall of Fame legend comes to town and is told not to wear the number he's worn his entire NHL career. Being furious over that makes no sense, especially where the team has a history of doing it.

where did i say this whole thing was big deal or wtv? All i said is that he wore multiple numbers in a short span of time. He did. Wearing even more than 1 is "multiple", he did wear 4 numbers through his time in NJ to some extend. It's simply a technical fact. Not sure why there's that much arguing about this. Then is wearing 3 numbers instead of 4 really throwing my comment out of the window?

I guess if i have to be more specific. For awhile it's fine the under 30 thing, its traditional, the whole front logo is everything philosophie and all. But after awhile it's making things really complicated since you're restrained to less than 30 numbers really. Players coming in who can't get their number they wore all their whole lives, the same # wore by like 5-6 players through the years. Plus then you have retired numbers so you have even less to play with.

Of course who supports it will say it's no big deal it's just a number, deal with it bla bla bla and that's fair. But some players and fans really care about that sh!t and that's fair too, nobody is better than the other in this case. So unless there's a really "good reason" behind not having it. Why make things more complicated when it doesn't have to. And that's my point.

Where did I imply that it was a big deal?  I didn't at all.  More said that preseason numbers of guys who aren't sure bets to make the team tend to be kind of all over the place, and not really fair to lump in with regular season numbers.

The middle part of your post echoes sentiments I and others have posted as well.  Five 30-and-under numbers being off the list is a lot.  Means more higher numbers have to be available.  And yeah, hopefully that means a little less "young player wears x in his first call-up, y in his next, back to x again, then switches to z when it becomes available".  But unfortunately you're always going to have this to some extent with the guys who take a while to stick...say a guy like Boucher makes the team and asks for #8 and gets it, gets sent back down for 20-30 games and a vet comes in and decides he wants #8...I get you and agree, it would be nice to see this happen less, but it is what it is. 

Brule was before my time, but I am almost certain Gionta and Gionta played with those numbers.

Also-- didn't Taormina wear #32 for a season? And Merrill #34?

Didn't Corrente wear 32 as well?

Where did I imply that it was a big deal?  I didn't at all.  More said that preseason numbers of guys who aren't sure bets to make the team tend to be kind of all over the place, and not really fair to lump in with regular season numbers.

The middle part of your post echoes sentiments I and others have posted as well.  Five 30-and-under numbers being off the list is a lot.  Means more higher numbers have to be available.  And yeah, hopefully that means a little less "young player wears x in his first call-up, y in his next, back to x again, then switches to z when it becomes available".  But unfortunately you're always going to have this to some extent with the guys who take a while to stick...say a guy like Boucher makes the team and asks for #8 and gets it, gets sent back down for 20-30 games and a vet comes in and decides he wants #8...I get you and agree, it would be nice to see this happen less, but it is what it is. 

Didn't Corrente wear 32 as well?

oh i didnt say you said it but i got a few comments about my comment through this discussion and i dont see that as something that should be dragged on its pretty irrelevant specifically how many # he wore. lol it was simply an example of what you've described with the x,y,z.

Brule was before my time, but I am almost certain Gionta and Gionta played with those numbers.

Also-- didn't Taormina wear #32 for a season? And Merrill #34?

They didn't, though.  Gionta's listed as having worn 54 in 2012 - you know, the year the Devils went to the Cup.  Well, we know he didn't do that, and he was only called up for one game before the playoffs anyway.

Taormina wore #32, Fayne wore #34, Salmela wore #32, I think, at some point - it was inevitable given all the retired numbers that this would happen.