Depressing Statistic Containment Thread

Triumph

I keep finding things around the Internet that just make me sad about the way this season has gone. Figured you guys can take care of the basic stuff.

Ilya Kovalchuk's on-ice even shooting percentage is 4.74%, good for 441st in the league.

Ilya Kovalchuk's on-ice power play shooting percentage before last night was 4.9% - it is now up to 7.25%

Patrik Elias has yet to draw a penalty this season.

The Devils have outshot their opponents by 26. They have been outscored by 36.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I keep finding things around the Internet that just make me sad about the way this season has gone. Figured you guys can take care of the basic stuff.

Ilya Kovalchuk's on-ice even shooting percentage is 4.74%, good for 441st in the league.

Ilya Kovalchuk's on-ice power play shooting percentage before last night was 4.9% - it is now up to 7.25%

Patrik Elias has yet to draw a penalty this season.

The Devils have outshot their opponents by 26. They have been outscored by 36.

Wow, shake my head at the bolded part. I mean it's clear that Elias has lost a step but this really surprised me.

The Devils are on pace to draw 246 power plays, which would be the lowest number of power plays drawn (non-lockout) since 1980.

Funny this poor officiating coincides with New Jersey pulling one on the NHL with the Kovalchuk signing. Most games you couldn't script this stuff. New Jersey has always had the proper personnel to have a positive advantage in PP and this year we simply are different? It just makes no sense.

Funny this poor officiating coincides with New Jersey pulling one on the NHL with the Kovalchuk signing. Most games you couldn't script this stuff. New Jersey has always had the proper personnel to have a positive advantage in PP and this year we simply are different? It just makes no sense.

As i've been saying all along. Correlation does NOT equal causation.

I'm in this boat as well but you'll get a lot of tinfoil hat comments for this one. Generally the Devils usually draw low in regards to power plays but like you said, they would still draw more then they would take. Sure the team stinks this year but the officiating has been downright awful. Yeah, it's bad around the league as well but imo the Devils have been on the sh!t end of the stick far too often. It's not an excuse for the poor play but I can only go off of what I have witnessed in our games and there have been some real wtf? type of calls this season.

I think it's more reflective of how NJ is in the offensive zone. The guys who draw penalties tend to be those who keep their legs moving, control the puck, and just keep battling. That's why Parise is always so good at drawing penalties, he just hustles every shift and he's strong on the puck, forcing defenders to occasionally take penalties.

The closest forward NJ has to that this year is actually Tedenby, but he's small enough to just get knocked off the puck. Zubrus has his moments of this, too. But the rest - Arnott, Elias, Kovalchuk, Langenbrunner, Clarkson, Rolston - either can't hold onto the puck long enough to force a defenseman into a tough spot or just don't keep their legs moving.

If the forwards can't sustain pressure, the defense really has no need to take penalties. If they know it's going to be a 10 second offensive presence that may result in a shot (but most likely a broken play leading to a clear), the defenders can exert themselves forcefully right away without fear of being tired later in the shift.

It also doesn't help that opposing teams don't have anything at all to fear from NJ's blueline in the offensive zone. Defenses can basically play 5 guys on the 3 forwards because NJ's d-men are so timid or flat-out incapable of offensive moves. It's like stacking the box against a team with a great running back and weak QB; force the weaker options to beat you. And with NJ's biggest threat being Andy Greene, the odds of the defense making something happen are pretty damn slim.

A few things:

Parise, one of our slickest forwards is out. I guess you can say Tedenby has taken his place in the department of drawing penalties. Without Parise, our cycle has been almost nonexistent.

A lot of players have lost a step or two including Elias, Langenbrunner and Arnott.

The officiating against the Devils has been questionable at BEST. Though I was extremely heated, I could understand how they could botch the Richards call because there was such a crowd in front of the net. What really irks me is the fact that other goalies have been getting such quick whistles against us. I remember at least three plays against Philly where the puck was clearly not covered and it was blown dead. Then of course, you have the ref yell "under you, under you" which resulted in a goal against St. Louis. And the "kick" yesterday was the icing on the cake. I hope the war room knows that to kick a puck, the player has to either, bend his knee or lift his skate off the ice. If the NHL knew anything about their players, they would know that Clarkson doesn't possess the motor skills to pull that off

Edited by SMantzas

Kovalchuk has been on the ice for 28 goals against this season, good enough to lead all NHL forwards. :clap:

Kovalchuk's plus/minus on the ice per 60 minutes is -2.42. Yet his plus/minus off the ice per 60 minutes is only -0.30. That's the best +/- off the ice for all Devils!

Langenbrunner has a team-worst GA ON/60 of 4.74, almost an entire goal worse than the next-worse guy (Kovalchuk at 3.77). So it seems Jamie's defensive abilities have gotten even worse than Kovalchuk's.

It is interesting to note however team shooting percentage is highest when Jamie is on the ice at 7.69%, though still pretty depressing.

Edited by .Nick

Oh this is fun. Since Kovy's second year, the most amount of players with more goals than him was 7 at the end of the year. This year there are 155 so far.

The Devils have 6 players in the bottom 18 in the league in +/- including the worst forward (Kovy) and 2nd and 4th worse defenseman (Greene and Tallin der respectively.

no, it coincides with them having absolutely no ES offense. their calls against are fairly low too, because they put up no resistance. they're awful. their ST's are rounding out, but their 5 on 5 play is pathetic. that's how you get all of those pretty -'s.

Even more telling:

How many of these four were against the oppositions back-up goalies or third string goalies?

Well if we're gonna go that route lol...let's see Hiller we did beat in Anaheim, Price in Montreal, Turco we beat in Chicago (he WAS the #1 then but is clearly the #2 now) and some faceless third-stringer against Washington but we shut them out anyway.

What's scary is we're actually LOSING to most of these backups and third-stringers.

Even more telling:

How many of these four were against the oppositions back-up goalies or third string goalies?

This makes me so sad.... but truth is that we need to rebuild. Not a little, not a tweak or some such nonsense; I mean a full-fledged rebuilding. Problem is that Lou won't do it because that would require parting with some vets like Elias in order to acquire younger talent and/or picks. When this team rocked we could afford to have great loyalty to our vets, but that is not a luxury we can afford any longer. Whatever they're worth, the time is here to trade off some vets....