64 replies to this topic

#21 Chimaira_Devil_#9

Chimaira_Devil_#9

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,171 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 11:39 AM

Tedenby has not exactly been lighting up the AHL; I wouldn't count on him for anything.

I think Gomez still has a lot to offer a team if his attitude is right. If Parise walks:

Elias-Zajac-Zubrus
Henrique-Gomez-Kovalchuk
?-Josefson-Clarkson

me likey.

Has his attitude to the game ever been right?

It seems from what a lot of the players have said this year, is that the attitude and spirit in the dressing room has been very good.

I would hate for Gomez to return and drag that down. the team is full of players who work hard and play with the right attitude, i dont see Gomez fitting the bill.

OFFICIAL KEEPER OF:Dainius Zubrus......Andy Greene.......Vladimir Zharkov and Alexander Vasyunov

Posted Image

Winner of the 07/08 ,08/09 & 10/11 Slava Fetisov Award For Best International Poster

#22 DevilNurn

DevilNurn

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,131 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 11:48 AM

I just...don't want him. In any way.

#23 Devils Pride 26

Devils Pride 26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,085 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 11:51 AM

Tedenby has not exactly been lighting up the AHL; I wouldn't count on him for anything.

I think Gomez still has a lot to offer a team if his attitude is right. If Parise walks:

Elias-Zajac-Zubrus
Henrique-Gomez-Kovalchuk
?-Josefson-Clarkson

me likey.

Really not bad at all. Especially if the question mark becomes Poni. Tedenby should get a look there as well. But what becomes the plan if Gomez burns out?

Man, skipping over Carlson looks worse by the day.

#24 sundstrom

sundstrom

Hall of Famer

• Mod
  • 8,325 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 12:07 PM

Elias-Zajac-Zubrus
Henrique-Gomez-Kovalchuk
?-Josefson-Clarkson

me likey.

i am surprised by your take on this.

why move elias from center where he has excelled the last two years? if parise walks, the devils already have his top 6 replacement. his name is travis zajac.

kovalchuk-zajac-zubrus
henrique-elias-clarkson
tedenby-josefson-xxx
boulton-xxxx-xxxx

that's how it stands w/o parise, sykora, ponikarovski, bernier and carter.

tedenby is going to be given every chance to make the team next year - just like palmieri was essentially given the spot this year
i would be good w/ offering ponikarovski a 2/6 deal - maybe even 3/9 to have a solid roster spot taken up w/ a forward who can play 2nd or 3rd line.
sykora has probably earned another 1 year with his play this year - hopefully along the lines of the shanahan way so that if he says forget it in camp, he's not on the cap
i would like to get an andy greene deal for a foward like sam gagner/kyle okposo/curtis glencross type
give zharkov a shot to make the team next year or finally go to russia
fill out the 4th line w/ camp invites

"This team was never the same once we lost Patrik Sundstrom"- Lou Lamoriello

20082719943.png
“They’re the ones that makes it happen,” Lemaire said. “It’s not us. It’s not me. It’s not the other guy. It’s not the guy before. It’s not the guy after. It’s them. And they have to take care of business.”
-
"I guess I just miss my friend" (#28)

#25 njdevsftw

njdevsftw

Senior Devil

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 787 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 12:11 PM

I'd love to see Gomez back at a super-low cap hit.. He'd be perfect on a line with Kovy.

You guys with your loyalty talk need to get over yourselves. He's a professional athlete. He was offered a contract he couldn't refuse.
Posted Image

#26 sundstrom

sundstrom

Hall of Famer

• Mod
  • 8,325 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 12:12 PM

i don't give a sh!t about the loyalty thing - i just don't think he's that good.

20082719943.png
“They’re the ones that makes it happen,” Lemaire said. “It’s not us. It’s not me. It’s not the other guy. It’s not the guy before. It’s not the guy after. It’s them. And they have to take care of business.”
-

#27 Beetlebum

Beetlebum

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,401 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 12:19 PM

He is perfect for Kovalchuk. Kovy gets into problems because he rushes the puck up the ice which he shouldn't be doing. Gomez, if we get him, would be doing that instead and then passing the puck to a trailing Kovalchuk resulting in numerous goals.

#28 Jerrydevil

Jerrydevil

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,919 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 12:24 PM

I used to like Gomez, but I would hesitate to even take a flier on him now. I think his NHL career is virtually over.

#29 Beetlebum

Beetlebum

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,401 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 12:28 PM

Holik spoke about Gomez a while back on his podcasts and doesn't think he is done. My line up next year ideally would look like this

Kovy Gomez Henrique

Teddy Elias Zubrus

Poni Zajac Clarkson

Zharkov Yayo Sykora

If Gomez were to fail Zajac or Yayo can move up.

Suter Fayne

Zids Volch

Tally Larsson

Profit

#30 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,025 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 12:32 PM

Has his attitude to the game ever been right?

It seems from what a lot of the players have said this year, is that the attitude and spirit in the dressing room has been very good.

I would hate for Gomez to return and drag that down. the team is full of players who work hard and play with the right attitude, i dont see Gomez fitting the bill.

Gomez appears to be one of those people who doesn't do well in the spotlight. He excelled in Jersey where we had a rigid team mentality. Maybe that's something he's realized. With the money coming off the cap (Parise, Brodeur, Salvador, etc) I could see the Devils giving him 800k - 1m for a season and see if he can click with Kovalchuk. He did great things with Mogilny here, and on the EGG line.
Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#31 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,918 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 12:34 PM

i am surprised by your take on this.

why move elias from center where he has excelled the last two years? if parise walks, the devils already have his top 6 replacement. his name is travis zajac.

kovalchuk-zajac-zubrus
henrique-elias-clarkson
tedenby-josefson-xxx
boulton-xxxx-xxxx

that's how it stands w/o parise, sykora, ponikarovski, bernier and carter.

tedenby is going to be given every chance to make the team next year - just like palmieri was essentially given the spot this year
i would be good w/ offering ponikarovski a 2/6 deal - maybe even 3/9 to have a solid roster spot taken up w/ a forward who can play 2nd or 3rd line.
sykora has probably earned another 1 year with his play this year - hopefully along the lines of the shanahan way so that if he says forget it in camp, he's not on the cap
i would like to get an andy greene deal for a foward like sam gagner/kyle okposo/curtis glencross type
give zharkov a shot to make the team next year or finally go to russia
fill out the 4th line w/ camp invites

i don't like moving elias away from center. what i do like is taking advantage of situations that present themselves. zidlicky wanted to come here, we got him, he's playing well. sykora wanted to give it one last shot here, he's working out, he's been a giant bargain so far. rather than signing players to multi-year deals, i'd rather take advantage of one-year contracts. the free agent market is a ghost town and petr sykora just can't come back here next year. NJ needs a forward.

if gomez and lou were amenable to a contract, i'd be in favor of it. in the right situation gomez could be a 50 point center who drives play and draws penalties.

Edited by Triumph, 20 March 2012 - 12:38 PM.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#32 Jerrydevil

Jerrydevil

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,919 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 12:36 PM

Too many years, too much coke. :D

#33 grcenter47

grcenter47

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,341 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 12:36 PM

I wouldn't mind having Gomez back on the team for a minimum one year contract.

Everyone one the board last year was against Sykora signing with the team before the 2010-2011 season started, so lets see how it goes

#34 Beetlebum

Beetlebum

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,401 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 12:38 PM

If Gomez was on Coke he'd be skinny

#35 Jerrydevil

Jerrydevil

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,919 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 12:41 PM

In all seriousness, it wouldn't hurt to give him a chance for the minimum wage, but I don't think the fire burns very brightly within him.

#36 Chuck the Duck

Chuck the Duck

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,622 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 12:50 PM

Forget about the fact that Gomez sucks, has a terrible work ethic, can't score for s#!t, and is a well below average player at this stage in his career. This guy is, and almost always has been, a defensive liability. Putting him on a line with Kovy would be a nightmare. Also, with Elias' success this year, the emergence of Henrique, and the return of Zajac (not to mention Josefson), we should be set up the middle next season and, therefore, don't need him.

I don't blame him for taking the money from the Rangers. NOBODY would have turned down that payday. However, his comments about always wanting to play in NY and the negative things he said about the Devils after he left is the reason he's persona non grata to me.
Posted Image

#37 Pepperkorn

Pepperkorn

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,473 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 01:08 PM

oh so many ways to say no...

cmon...you were going to use this one weren't you?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zNjQecyjE8

I actually have no idea if I'd want him back. so I'll just post this for the fun of it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3ALwKeSEYs

I'm here for the party

#38 sundstrom

sundstrom

Hall of Famer

• Mod
  • 8,325 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 01:24 PM

rather than signing players to multi-year deals, i'd rather take advantage of one-year contracts. the free agent market is a ghost town and petr sykora just can't come back here next year. NJ needs a forward.

yet last night, you were lamenting in chat how the devils have 3 players under team control in after next year (4 if you count tedenby - which we should). zajac and elias should be part of the plan for that year also but i'd feel better with a guy like ponikarovski signed for 3 years at a reasonable number. could p.a. parrenteau be someone to look at for RW?

20082719943.png
-

#39 95Crash

95Crash

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,993 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 01:37 PM

I always believed he would come back here eventually. I could see it happening.

#40 Jas0nMacIsaac

Jas0nMacIsaac

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,373 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 01:41 PM

I like this idea only if we can pick up a 1st round pick in the process. If we are going to be just above a cap floor team might as well get some value in a Gomez contract that is less then the cap.

Edit: This is why you should read the article. I would take Gomez in a second as a 3rd line center. He is OK defensively and is a dangerous player on the rush, it gives us two options to carry the puck on the line and on the PP.

Edited by Jas0nMacIsaac, 20 March 2012 - 01:46 PM.

A true leader is one who knows when to step aside for others to lead.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users