Devils trade Michael Rupp to Phoenix

femalenynjazfan

this, like the kozlov deal, is a great trade.  lou is awesome.

maybe he could pick up bombardir from minnesota for a pick.

Bombardir burned his bridges here by talking bad about the team, state. It won't be him.

Word.

Can we please drop the Bombardir talk. That is simply not gonna happen.

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

what the hell?

Lou trading for all these Russian players? Sounds kinda fishy. Not to be racist or anything, but Lou always seemed to be the North American guy. Personally, I would have to agree with that logic.

My basis for this is the Russian hockey team. Loads of talent, sometimes it seems like they are in a league of their own, but for the most part, they float the games away. (from what I saw in the Olympics). North American players tend have a nastier side and a better work ethic, which is essentially Devil's hockey.

I hope our team doesnt turn into a bunch of cream puffs...

Come on you guys... you should all know Lou's Kool Aid Rule #2:

"the more you shake your head and go HUH at a deal, the more genius it is"

Uh... what's Kool-Aid Rule #1? :lol: For that matter, where can one find the complete list? Sounds like required reading for every Devils fan...

Although Mike Rupp is not that good of a player, you have to admit, he was clutch in the playoffs. . . And if you ever watch NHL2Night with John Buccigross, you'll know that clutch is everything.

He wasn't clutch in the playoffs. We shut out the Ducks. He got his stick on the winning goal. Langenbrunner and Freeze did a tremendous amount of work.

It was never about Rupp.

Clutch isn't fighting for a fourth-line spot on a team without a lot of offense.

good point about being too european, especially in the eastern conference. but keep in mind, this team is much more north american than not. the entire defense is north american. and aside from elias, brylin, kozlov, hrdina there aren't any other european's on the team. (i'm specifically leaving off larionov).

in comparison, the leafs and sens (many people's favs to come out of the conference) depend heavily on europeans on both sides of the puck.

The Devils gave up too much. Hrdina is a nice player. He is a smart guy on the ice. Gritty too and can take draws and has a little skill. But giving up Rupp should have been enough. The 2nd round pick seems like a steal for Phoenix. Rupp needed out of Jersey. Now, he'll go somewhere else and develop. If he ever puts it together, the Devils might regret this trade.

Hrdina also is younger than Madden and can play in different situations. They have a lot of centers. I wonder if they got Hrdina as insurance in case Madden walks. Would make sense.

As far as the Devils depth at present, it seems to me that they're going away from their D first policy and have decided offense will win the East. Because now, they will have much more balanced scoring lines. I also agree with the posters that said it probably means Stevens is returning.

Come on you guys... you should all know Lou's Kool Aid Rule #2:

"the more you shake your head and go HUH at a deal, the more genius it is"

Uh... what's Kool-Aid Rule #1? :lol: For that matter, where can one find the complete list? Sounds like required reading for every Devils fan...

Kool-Aid Rule #1:

No one player or line will ever/never.... eeeevvvvvvvvveeeerrrr be more important

then the team no matter who/what/how he did it for the team (unless it's Brodeur :P )

Kool-Aid Rule #3:

A $2 discount on Season Tickets and no parking pass is a GREAT Deal for Partial.

Season Ticket Holders :D

As for the rest... it will be an off-season project maybe :D

I don't think they think Madden's gonna walk, Dage. I think they're just trying to shore up a team that needed some shoring up on O to be sure.

Rupp for Hrdina just doesn't work. Rupp was a non-entity this year. Anything he did good was pretty much negated -- often on the same shift -- by something bad that was done. So if someone wants him for what they think his size and his Finals value is, great, we got something for him.

It's not the steal we expect from Lou, but I really don't think it's hideous.

Out of all this, I think the best news is the fact that Stevens is returning, which is, as everyone has said, just about glaringly obvious based on these moves. They will get one more insurance policy for the blueline so we won't have to watch Hale and Brown's "Circus o' Jackassery" come April.

Out of all this, I think the best news is the fact that Stevens is returning, which is, as everyone has said, just about glaringly obvious based on these moves. They will get one more insurance policy for the blueline so we won't have to watch Hale and Brown's "Circus o' Jackassery" come April.

When, wtf?

Guest 3DevCups

I don't get it at it all. The team needs a true offensive player, not another mid-level(at best) offensive guy. Damn. And what about the defense? Maybe a packaged deal is going to go down that includes a d-man and a true offensive gun? Let's hope.

:pray:

I am amazed...folks wanted to get rid of Rupp and got their wish...folks wanted a right handed forward and got their wish....folks wanted a center who could win faceoff and got their wish...what is not amazing I guess is that they are still aren't happy...go figure :unsure:

Stubbs...try reading the entire thread b4 posting...sick of seeing you quoted showing yourself as clueless then complaining about ppl giving you the business...sheesh.

Tri...I am happy also...this could be an interim step toward another trade tho...should be an interesting ride to the deadline.

Wow I didn't expect such doom and gloom, especially since everyone's been clamoring for trades all year and since Rupp wasn't exactly the favorite son anymore.

I'm surprised Lou went for a second center, though I suppose Rasmussen (or Kozlov) will be moved to wing now. And I liked Hrdina better before I saw his faceoff percentage was just 51 percent this season. I was expecting him to be around 55 or higher for that kind of deal :P

But giving up Rupp doesn't make me nervous like it does everyone else. For one he never really showed anything other than his first couple of games up with the club and also Game 7 of the Finals. Granted, he never really got a chance to play with the top lines (and I was clamoring for Burns to give him a shot between Friesen and Langenbrunner), but still you'd like to see something even if he's not scoring - physical play, faceoffs, smarts, SOMEthing to impress you.

Even more than that though, the Devils DO have centers in the organization; Gomez, Parise and Madden should all be here for the next several years. Kozlov and Hrdina could be around for a while too. If I'm concerned about anything it's the lack of size (or at least quality size) at center, but we haven't had size at center in two years anyway.

I do hope Rupp finds his niche in Phoenix, he's a good kid. He just never clicked with us, and I'm sure Lou and Burns would NOT have given him up if they thought he would be Todd Bertuzzi.

did any of the fleury deal guys that calgary got from colorado pan out?

Well, Robyn Regehr isn't a household name just yet but he is doing quit ewell in calgary.

Also, I think it's a pretty good trade. I won't say great because I think Rupp AND a 2nd rounder is a little too much; I would've bargained to Rupp and a 4th. However Hrdina isn't a rental player and does have some offensive upside being 28 and he did have around 58 points 2 years ago (the year Mario got injured for most of the season).

this, like the kozlov deal, is a great trade.  lou is awesome.

maybe he could pick up bombardir from minnesota for a pick.

Over on ESPN the Yotes fans are saying that they just made one of the best trades ever and that Lou must have been kidnapped by Clarke for making such a horrible deal... :lol: I laughed my ass off when one fan said "we gain a BIG...and I mean BIG winger who can hit and has a nasty edge!" ...they should really do a little research before they post :)

What amuses me is the Yotes now employ Gratton AND Rupp. They've got big bodies, but sheesh do they think just because they're with them they're going to play physical?