Did PHI make the right moves?

DevilinLA

Better or Worse team?  

78 members have voted

1. 1. Are they a better or worse franchise as a whole today?

• Better
    • Worse
    • Hate the flyers either way

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I wonder how Giroux and Van Riemsdyk will feel when it's their turn to sign long-term? Now that the franchise has a reputation for signing stars to long, discount contracts and then shipping them off before the NTC kicks in, they might be a bit hesitant about it. The players can't like the way Richards and Carter were treated. And I'm not sure that I buy the whole "they were bad in the locker room" story. If Carter was such a locker room distraction, why was he signed to an 11 year extension a few months ago? The same goes for Richards. He even said that if he'd known he would get traded he wouldn't have signed the contract extension.

Why the **** would Tampa trade Stamkos? Єklund (2.3% accurate) brought him up for Toronto, so now I'm a bit confused here. If they don't have the money for him then they should fold the franchise.

I said I thought it was crazy but after yesterday's moves nothing would be crazy. I agree with you why would Tampa fresh off a trip to the Conference finals want to get rid of their best player. They are way under the CAP and should be able to pay him.

I wonder how Giroux and Van Riemsdyk will feel when it's their turn to sign long-term? Now that the franchise has a reputation for signing stars to long, discount contracts and then shipping them off before the NTC kicks in, they might be a bit hesitant about it. The players can't like the way Richards and Carter were treated. And I'm not sure that I buy the whole "they were bad in the locker room" story. If Carter was such a locker room distraction, why was he signed to an 11 year extension a few months ago? The same goes for Richards. He even said that if he'd known he would get traded he wouldn't have signed the contract extension.

Like I said their lockerroom was split. I think Holmgren didn't WANT to trade them but was told to trade them by his bosses. Holmgren was visibly upset at his press conference yesterday. No one will ever really know.

The bottom line is if you show up to win at any organization and dedicate yourself to it you'll be fine. If you show up and try to win on your talent alone without hard work you'll never succeed in the NHL. I think Carter & Richards feel under the latter.

There has to be something more to this that we don't know about. Otherwise, he's completely insane. Yeah, he picked up nice pieces in both deals and MAYBE in a few years we'll be getting our ass kicked by Schenn and Voracek but wow... how do you trade away two of the team's top forwards for picks and young guys with potential when you're a perennial playoff team/Cup favorite? Just don't see how it makes sense, especially if this really is to sign Bryzgalov for 7 million per. What a crazy day.

Unfortunately I think you are right, all the talk in Philly is there is more coming. ANother trade possibly now that they have a bunch of picks or a signing as they certainly cleared some cap sapce.

:doh1:

So men, are you ever disappointed when you grab -- like Ewe! Too soft or too hard or too much tissue paper -- I never imagine a guy being disappointed...

....except D84 here. He'd be all "You've been working out entirely too much. Due to my increasing emotional maturity and well-developed palate (if you will) I prefer a much softer bosom. I'm afraid I can longer speak to you" "Enrico, may i feel your man-bosom please ... Ahhhh.... yesssss... ehem - for a man - I like women! I just have more discerning taste than the rest of you heathens. I am comfortable enough in my man-skin to appreciate the fine male form...ahhh..sweeeet - make 'em dance Ricki make 'em jump!!"

Ahh anyhow -- so back on topic....

I agree with what Triumph wrote - it's great for rebuilding.... the thing of it is..... I like the idea IF another team were carrying out the plan.... I feel like the Flyers and the Rags -- they're historically impatient organizations. I just see them doing more of what they've just done.... I like the thought if it's training guys and sending them and their fat paycheck packing when the time comes. But can you have real sustaining success? I mean -- it's weird. Like they want to build a franchise but they're dissatisfied before they've even given it a chance. It's a little weird. :noclue:

It's an interesting idea - it's almost like... well it's not at all like short selling stocks... :giggle: It's like making wise short term investments and building on it wi It's like house flipping -- kind of.... well -- SOMEONE here will get the idea. I find that rather fascinating and I will enjoy seeing how it plays out. I HATE how much I've secretly enjoyed watching the Phailures develop. It's been out of character but very transparent and that's really cool.

OH CMON! You KNOW he has me on ignore -- I only wrote it because I knew he'd miss it and he's such a jerk about stuff like that!.... go edit out the name at least! I don't have him on ignore because I actually like the guy -- he's just got some stick up his ass. But ribbing him about it only tightens his sphincter.

Both deals seemed strange. I like the 2 players they got back for Richards, and Voracek has potential (plus a nice high draft pick), but it seems more like rebuilding type of move to me, which makes it odd. I'm honestly not familiar at all with any off-ice issues or whatnot, but I do know they are pretty damn good players on-ice. And making some of these moves to accommodate paying Bryzgalov, who might not be all that much better than Bobrovsky (IMO)? Bleh.

Edited by nmigliore

OH CMON! You KNOW he has me on ignore -- I only wrote it because I knew he'd miss it and he's such a jerk about stuff like that!.... go edit out the name at least! I don't have him on ignore because I actually like the guy -- he's just got some stick up his ass. But ribbing him about it only tightens his sphincter.

Okayyy fine, I got it. So true though, regardless :lol:

Mike Richards was just on WMMR 93.3 doing an interview...it was kinda sad. You could just tell he really didn't want to leave.

He essentially said he and Carter are best friends, and they signed their long-term contracts with the hopes of winning a championship or two together and playing out the rest of their respective careers in philly. Kinda feel for the guy as a person, but, as a Flyer, I'm glad he's gone.

Like I said their lockerroom was split. I think Holmgren didn't WANT to trade them but was told to trade them by his bosses. Holmgren was visibly upset at his press conference yesterday. No one will ever really know.

The bottom line is if you show up to win at any organization and dedicate yourself to it you'll be fine. If you show up and try to win on your talent alone without hard work you'll never succeed in the NHL. I think Carter & Richards feel under the latter.

Or you could be a guy who's pushing 40 and acts like he's 18, who makes a living fvcking over lockerooms. You got Pronger'd. Yeah, pound for pound he's probably your best player even in the tail end of his career, but still, this guy is poison. Like the annoying kid on a kiddie sports team who sucks up to everyone who has power

to get himself over.

Or you could be a guy who's pushing 40 and acts like he's 18, who makes a living fvcking over lockerooms. You got Pronger'd. Yeah, pound for pound he's probably your best player even in the tail end of his career, but still, this guy is poison. Like the annoying kid on a kiddie sports team who sucks up to everyone who has power

to get himself over.

I don't remember hearing anything about "locker room problems" before Pronger got there.

The development of Giroux softens the blow of losing both Richards and Carter. Guiroux was their best forward last year and now he has the opportunity to take the number 1 center position and run with it. Also Voracek will be playing with a better supporting cast so it'll be interesting to see what he can do on the Flyers. Add to that the fact that Schenn is probably ready to make the jump to the NHL and should fit in nicely on the third line where there won't be too much pressure on him to produce.

I think the Flyers aren't as bad as everyone says they are after this trade, only time will tell though.

Mike Richards was just on WMMR 93.3 doing an interview...it was kinda sad. You could just tell he really didn't want to leave.

He essentially said he and Carter are best friends, and they signed their long-term contracts with the hopes of winning a championship or two together and playing out the rest of their respective careers in philly. Kinda feel for the guy as a person, but, as a Flyer, I'm glad he's gone.

Oh, Man! He's just sad because no more fingercuffs on players' wives.

The development of Giroux softens the blow of losing both Richards and Carter. Guiroux was their best forward last year and now he has the opportunity to take the number 1 center position and run with it. Also Voracek will be playing with a better supporting cast so it'll be interesting to see what he can do on the Flyers. Add to that the fact that Schenn is probably ready to make the jump to the NHL and should fit in nicely on the third line where there won't be too much pressure on him to produce.

I think the Flyers aren't as bad as everyone says they are after this trade, only time will tell though.

I agree.

Throw in the strong development and play of Van Riemsdyk in the playoffs and they actually maybe better overall right now.