Brodeur sees road’s end

Rock

Unfortunately, unless Brodeur magically finds his game at the end of the season, I don't see how we're even capable of winning a cup at this point. I believe very strongly that we'll get into the playoffs, but once we're in we really don't have the goaltending to go very far.

I'd feel more comfortable at this point with the Moose in net for the playoffs than with Marty. It's not what anyone wants to hear said, but it's just how I feel and I'm pretty sure a good chunk of other fans feel the same way.

All i hope is that if hes coming back for a last season that hes resiging real cheap... If hes really coming back for a last run prove it and take less so we cant afford some nIce ufas

Also im not sure marty is 100% comfortable with our style... I dont feel like hunting for quotes but he said many times that we won in the past because of our D andsaid many little hints here and there that were not built like we were before and all

First post in a while here. My last posts were made into the previous forums... so quite a few years.

I would be fine with one last year for Marty. It would be his 20th and last year and a great way to end his career IMO.

But to this point, I would see him more as a back-up than anything though. If he could accept one last year to a hometown discount, I would be fine with that.

Edited by Sykie

I'd feel more comfortable at this point with the Moose in net for the playoffs than with Marty. It's not what anyone wants to hear said, but it's just how I feel and I'm pretty sure a good chunk of other fans feel the same way.

I totally agree with you. I feel Moose is more consistent this year then Marty.

His save% over his last 5 is .905. Not great by any stretch, but starting to approach respectability.

His numbers in wins and losses are vastly different this season: a 2.25 GAA with a .918 save% in wins, and a 4.14 GAA with an .845 save% in losses. What's interesting is that both save%s are down about the same amount from the previous three seasons. Over the last three, he was in the .940s in wins, and in the .870s in losses. So basically, over the last three years and this one, his winning save% is about .07 better than his losing save%, but both winning and losing save%s are about .03 down from his recent norms. EDIT: it bears noting that he had a lot more losses last season (compared to wins), so that .870s losing percentage represented a larger sample than usual.

Triumph's already pointed out the one number that really matters: .886 save% That ranks him 42nd in the NHL in that category. Only two NHL goaltenders are worse than that, at .882 (Steve Mason and Dwayne Roloson). He can't stay at that number for too much longer...that pretty much guarantees 3+ goals a night, which is going to make it tough to win in the NHL most nights. I would take .905-.910 for Marty at this point, provided he's not starting more than half his team's games.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

But to this point, I would see him more as a back-up than anything though. If he could accept one last year to a hometown discount, I would be fine with that.

i really like this idea and would think he would too, as a strict backup he can get up for those games and take a victory lap still visit the rinks, play more role behind the scenes...

everyone knows how tough it is to get old as an athelete and this allows him to still be in the game...

maybe pay him a player contract and a supplemental management salary :uni:

edit;an issue is how the team plays for him and can we agree if you crunch the #'s there is a differance when moose is in...i dunno less turnover or more hits or better offense i dunno but it is there.

the team is just clicking regardless...remember how slow they looked to start.

Edited by lazer

this is the new NHL, im all for starting marty, it would be retarded not to...we need to score more than 3 hah

22 out of 30 teams in the "new" NHL are scoring less than 3 per game. Brodeur ranks 35th in GAA at 3.08.

Not giving up on Marty yet, but a 3.08 GAA and .886 save% in today's NHL isn't going to cut it long-term.

22 out of 30 teams in the "new" NHL are scoring less than 3 per game. Brodeur ranks 35th in GAA at 3.08.

Not giving up on Marty yet, but a 3.08 GAA and .886 save% in today's NHL isn't going to cut it long-term.

And with our forwards we definitely need to do better than 18th in the league in goals per game. Our goaltending has been sub-par but we definitely are due to start scoring more than 3, more often. Especially when 3 other teams in your division are in the top 10 in goals per game, with 2 of them over 3 p/g.

Edited by ben00rs

I love Broduer, he should go down as the greatest ever, but his time is up, nothing proved thst more to me then the replays of Neids greatest games the last few weeks... that Marty is the one I want to remember, not the one of the last 5 years, he is so much slower than he used to be.

I hope Marty does the smart thing and retires after this year....

I love Broduer, he should go down as the greatest ever, but his time is up, nothing proved thst more to me then the replays of Neids greatest games the last few weeks... that Marty is the one I want to remember, not the one of the last 5 years, he is so much slower than he used to be.

I hope Marty does the smart thing and retires after this year....

Why do people insist on perpetuating myths when it comes to Marty?

Look at his numbers over the last five years, and you'll see one bad half...last season's first half. The rest of that time, his numbers were quite good:

Career save%: .913

Save%s last five seasons: .922, .920, .916, .916, .903. In three of those seasons he faced the most shots, the 3rd most shots, and the 4th most shots for a full season in his career. So it's not like his job had gotten any easier. His recent playoff numbers have been uneven, but so has the entire team's performance.

This season has been rough...the record at 8-8 isn't too bad, but the other numbers are, and like I've said, they can't stay there. And I'm sure, based on Marty's quotes, he'll call it a career if he can't improve upon them.

As for greatest ever: one of them, sure. Definitely the most durable, and he didn't really see a significant drop-off in performance until last year (first half, anyway). Roy was a little more clutch, and Hasek was a better pure puck-stopper...his save%s were absurd. Neither of them could play the puck like Marty. You could make a case for any of them, really.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

I think Marty's numbers have been a bit deceptive this year. Not to say he's been way better than the stats show, but even in the games where he played great, i.e. Buffalo, his save% was still around .850-900. So if we had played a bit better in that game and a couple others, his save% might be right around .900-905, instead of what it is now.

I hope that he stays around for one last year and lets everyone know that it'll be his last year. That way we can all cherish our last moments with him and give him the farewell that he deserves. We also don't really have any other prospects for a full time goalie for next year anyways, so if he stays on for about half the price he's paid now, I don't see how that hurts us even if his play isn't all that great.

This would be a nice last year if people would freaking lighten up and let him enjoy the year. All of this "He's really just no good..." "I love Marty BUT..." I dislike the word "but" when used like that SOO MUCH!

If you loved the guy just stop bashing him feeling the need to just state the truth according to yourself. This is his last year and I dont understand why everyone has to qualify your fondness just because he's still playing. Fans do not have to keep the pressure on him. He's just not that bad for one thing. and he's going to retire -- he gets it... why does everyone have get that last word in? Why throw in the criticism?

Hmehhh -- Oooohhhhhhh what the hell... it is a message board and if you all just have to state the obvious and throw in a word here and there just to make absolutely sure Marty gets it, despite an entire article saying he does - go for it. Don't know why I'm getting all bent out of shape about it :giggle:

This would be a nice last year if people would freaking lighten up and let him enjoy the year. All of this "He's really just no good..." "I love Marty BUT..." I dislike the word "but" when used like that SOO MUCH!

If you loved the guy just stop bashing him feeling the need to just state the truth according to yourself. This is his last year and I dont understand why everyone has to qualify your fondness just because he's still playing. Fans do not have to keep the pressure on him. He's just not that bad for one thing. and he's going to retire -- he gets it... why does everyone have get that last word in? Why throw in the criticism?

Hmehhh -- Oooohhhhhhh what the hell... it is a message board and if you all just have to state the obvious and throw in a word here and there just to make absolutely sure Marty gets it, despite an entire article saying he does - go for it. Don't know why I'm getting all bent out of shape about it :giggle:

Let him enjoy the year at what cost? We all want to see him go out on his terms, and playing reasonably well doing it. Who wouldn't? But at the same time, the Devils, though playing better lately, look like a team that will have to fight and claw to get into the playoffs. This could very well be Parise's last season here. These guys are trying to win hockey games...they're not here to be fodder for a diminished great's victory tour. I can't say for sure whether Marty's fallen as far as his numbers would indicate, and I don't want to believe that he has.

I understand people "qualifying their fondness", because no one (save for a select few) wants to come off like they don't appreciate everything he's done since he's been here, or to sound too "What have you done for me lately?" when they discuss the stark reality of where Marty is.

Marty's numbers are bad (at least right now). And the Devils don't have much margin for error. I'm not criticizing Marty, as this sample pales in volume to what's come before it...we all know how old he is, how many games he's played, so I'm not going to hold him to the standard set by younger versions of him. It's more just not wanting to see a season get away from the Devils when it looks like the talent level may be taking a big hit with the potential loss of Parise.

That's all well and good and I guess I'm just giving Brodeur too much credit - to me it sounded an awful lot like he was saying he'll ride the pine and enjoy this season but he's not delusional and he wont over stay his welcome.

OK as I wrote fine you all want to holler "YOU ALREADY HAVE FATASS!" because you know not only does he suck but he's so fat from all that pizza right? Just keeping us all rooted in reality :blink: So - go for it that's what the message board is for, He's a grown up he can just not read, right?

Just every posts ended up sounded like "Yeaahhhh! You BETTER leave.... " "Says YOU Mister" Like IMO unnecessary little after thoughts making CERTAIN he'll get his ass out, you know? The article wasn't boasting how he's the energizer bunny after all.

Edited by Pepperkorn

I'm taking this season as my last opportunity to see Marty in net for the Devils.. He was the key piece to the success of this franchise.. Marty is a once in a lifetime athlete being that he's considered by the best goalie of all time and sadly that career is ending soon..

I'm taking this season as my last opportunity to see Marty in net for the Devils.. He was the key piece to the success of this franchise.. Marty is a once in a lifetime athlete being that he's considered by the best goalie of all time and sadly that career is ending soon..

I hear you and agree. I just don't ever want it to get ugly for him...I don't want to ever feel sad watching him play. An .885 save% is ugly. It's sad that there's already a contingent of Devils fans who don't appreciate him, and his struggles seem to have that group all the more fired up. I know that it's very difficult for an athlete to leave at the top or very top of his game, but when you look at Marty's career, it's clear that his level of play is probably as low as it's ever been. And it may not get better. He's earned a few more chances simply because of who he is, and he'll get them, but it can't be an unlimited amount...like I've said, the Devils are trying to stay in a playoff race, and though Hedberg's nowhere near the goalie that Marty's been for his career, Hedberg deserves the opportunity to start the majority of these games.

There are two positions in sports where it's impossible to 'let a guy go gracefully', and that's goaltender and quarterback. We've watched guys like Daneyko go from playing 20 minutes a night to being a healthy scratch, in some time we'll hopefully be watching Elias go from being on the #1 PP to being a checking line center who scores 40 points a season. In baseball, the Yankees let Bernie Williams be a designated hitter even though he certainly wasn't a good enough hitter to justify that. But goalie's too important - having a guy out there who can't stop 90% of the shots he faces seriously jeopardizes the Devils' playoff chances.

Edited by Triumph

And even a starter can be made into a relieve in baseball. Marty is really hurting us right now.

I dont understand in this day and age of the NHL where the teams are very even except for a few really good and a few really bad teams, and points are so critical to get a playoff position, that Pete Debo doesnt use Moose more, we have a better chance of winning with the Moose in net.

And even a starter can be made into a relieve in baseball. Marty is really hurting us right now.

That's very rare though, at least among the elite pitchers. John Smoltz and Dennis Eckersley were two examples but Smoltz physically couldn't start anymore and Eckersley was a so-so starter who would have been out of the league entirely if LaRussa didn't more or less invent the closer role for him.

I think people yelling at him to get out after the season are more or less assuming he'll put himself above the team (a la Brett Favre) which is totally unfair. The reason he won a couple of his Vezinas at $5.2 million a year is because he wanted the team to have more cap space to sign other players. That's also the reason he's struggling now at $5.2 million per instead of $7 million per. I don't believe he'll pull a Brett Favre and go out kicking and screaming. If he does, you can yell at him then if you want. But to assume he'll do that...you guys really put more of an ego on Marty than he has.

Yes when he was one of the best or the best he wanted to play just about every game - which somehow becomes an evil around here - but he didn't say a word last year when Lemaire played Hedberg over him and I don't think he'll say a word if PDB eventually plays Moose over him this year, assuming their play continues on their current levels. There is a difference between Lemaire (a HOF'er and a guy on his last year anyway) and PDB doing it though.

Edited by NJDevs4978