Ponikarovsky to NJ

Triumph

he had a great game, one goal, couple of monster checks. i am impressed with him, some carolina fans were saying penalty man etc. but i'm guessing that's because of the style of canes, he seems to fit right in with our system. i doubt he had an idea of what to do out there but he looked like he has played more time here than some of our 4th liners.

He certainly had an impressive game... I think he's a good fit with Clarkson and Josefson. I like that line holding up until we get Zajac back. If he brings what he brought in that last game every night then we got a good deal.

Maybe I just like him cause he's the same exact size as me, lol.

Sucks for Tedenby, but it just wasn't happening for him this year. Some AHL time for him will do him well

Terrific trade for NJ. We managed to get a player able to dominate possession against 2nd and 3rd lines. With Josefson and Clarkson they should create an underrated but excellent 3rd line who should be around 55% in the right situations. Ponikarovsky and Josefson should create a lot for Clarkson off the cycle if he just stays in front.

Any stat geeks, try not to get too excited. Especially since we cleared a reserve list spot.

http://www.behindthenet.ca/nhl_statistics.php?c=0+1+3+5+4+6+7+8+13+14+17+18+19+20+32+33+34+29+30+31+35+36+37+38+39+40+47+48+49+50+51+52+53+54+55+56+63+67+57+58+59+60+61+62+64+65+66+41+42+43+44+45+46&ds=1&f3=ALEXEIPONIKAROVSKY&f1=2011_s+2010_s+2010_p+2009_s+2009_p+2008_s+2007_s

Even better is on ice sh% when tied...It is 0.8%, this trade is gold when this career 10% shooter evens out the stats.

Edited by Jas0nMacIsaac

Ponikarovsky was playing with top offensive players when he was posting those kinds of numbers with Toronto. I don't expect that kind of s% here. Still, it makes the third line into a force (55% is high, but I'd take 50% at this point).

Sure he has played with some good linemates but his relative CORSI has always been good as well. No matter who he seems to play with he is always in the top 2 or 3 on the team in CORSI. Josefson and Ponikarovsky will not break even against opponents 3rd lines.

I don't understand or care about statistics and numbers when it comes to sports. However, in 1 game Poni already has as many goals as the left wing he replaced on the third-line. Moreover, he gives that line some size to cycle the puck down low, which plays perfectly into Clarkson's game. I like Teddy, but he needs to play top 6 minutes with skilled players where he can operate in space. He is just too small to go into the corners and battle behind the net consistently. Good trade, especially since Sova is a lesser version of Urbom, and we have a number of good young d-men in the system rated ahead of him.