GTD: Columbus @ Joisey (The Post Christmas Edition)

Derlique

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tom Gulitti ‏@TGfireandice:

DeBoer said he considered Boucher for shootout, but he was cold from not playing and didn't play well tonight, so he didn't use him.

What a load of sh!t. You don't need to be 'warm' to take a fvcking shootout attempt.

Just Pete covering his ass..

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

DeBoer said he considered Boucher for shootout, but he was cold from not playing and didn't play well tonight, so he didn't use him.

What a load of sh!t. You don't need to be 'warm' to take a fvcking shootout attempt.

ya I saw that, Boucher didnt play at all in the 3rd... interesting

Just Pete covering his ass..

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

From what? Lou's not going to have an issue with it: "Wait, so you chose our best scorer, player with best career SO record, and Elias also one of our best... And you didn't go with the rookie who played his worst game requiring a benching?!"

Losing that shootout is the least of our worries tonight, but of course everyone uses hindsight to determine why the coach was stupid and their selection would have been better

i would have put henrique there... I think he play well and he score a goal... so why not try him instead of clowe... you dont need size in the shootout

Clowe has the best career SO record of anyone on our team and he played a decent game.. We have a lot of options (Henrique, Zajac, Ryder, Tedenby, Brunner when healthy, etc) but no one has proven to be reliable enough that anyone can say "Oh this player should have gone in the SO. DeBoer is such an idiot"

Edited by Colin226

The New Jersey Devils fell to 0-6 in shootouts this season after dropping a 2-1 decision at home Friday to the Columbus Blue Jackets, prompting veteran forward Patrik Elias to give a frank assessment to reporters after the game.

"We stink in the shootout. That’s all. Bottom line," Elias said.

The Devils have scored one shootout goal on 20 attempts. The only team with worse luck has been the Nashville Predators, who are 0-for-11 on shootout attempts but have only been involved in three shootouts.

“We need those points. It’s going to hurt us,” Elias added. “But it’s not even the points. Look at the whole game and the way we played. If it wasn’t for (veteran goaltender Martin Brodeur) we wouldn’t even have had a chance to get that point.”

Clowe has the best career SO record of anyone on our team and he played a decent game.. We have a lot of options (Henrique, Zajac, Ryder, Tedenby, Brunner when healthy, etc) but no one has proven to be reliable enough that anyone can say "Oh this player should have gone in the SO. DeBoer is such an idiot"

DeBoer is an idiot but so is Lou for allowing this mess.

Good thing Larry/Lou didn't subscribe to that rationale with Viktor Kozlov, he would never have gotten an attempt.

And they can't get Fayne out of the lineup fast enough for me now...he was beyond awful tonight.  Picking his nose on the goal, that stupid delay of game penalty when nobody was within ten feet of him...it's a shame that pairing has become Greene carrying Fayne's corpse around.  He's a shell of what he used to be.

And they can't get Fayne out of the lineup fast enough for me now...he was beyond awful tonight. Picking his nose on the goal, that stupid delay of game penalty when nobody was within ten feet of him...it's a shame that pairing has become Greene carrying Fayne's corpse around. He's a shell of what he used to be.

Greene had good training with Larsson.

And they can't get Fayne out of the lineup fast enough for me now...he was beyond awful tonight.  Picking his nose on the goal, that stupid delay of game penalty when nobody was within ten feet of him...it's a shame that pairing has become Greene carrying Fayne's corpse around.  He's a shell of what he used to be.

IMO Fayne had a bad night (as did the other D) but I still like him long term on that pair with Greene. I feel like he just had an off night and Greene didn't do him any favor on the goal against by getting beat and taking himself out of the play leaving Fayne to defend 2 guys. That said, DeBoer has a short leash with him so I could see him getting yo-yo'd in and out of the line up again.

Zidlicky in general still makes me cringe when he's attempting to play D. Last night I thought Merrill and Gelinas looked pretty bad. I wouldn't mind Merrill going down to the AHL when Larsson comes back. He's shown some positive flashes and I'm happy with his play overall, but now and then he makes some costly errors. Gelinas was really fortunate that CBJ didn't capitalize on any of his errors tonight.

Edited by thefiestygoat

Fayne's been bad for a while...well he'll have one bad game and one okay-meh game but he really hasn't responded to extended playing time the way I'd hoped.  To a degree he probably knew he was not long for this world with Sal coming back and might have been distracted tonight, but still.

Edited by NJDevs4978

Fayne's been bad for a while...well he'll have one bad game and one okay-meh game but he really hasn't responded to extended playing time the way I'd hoped.  To a degree he probably knew he was not long for this world with Sal coming back and might have been distracted tonight, but still.

I don't really recall Fayne standing out in a bad way as of late. Certainly not more than Merrill or Gelinas have. I still think he's the 2nd most reliable D they have at EV which is why I hope they keep Greene-Fayne together as the top pair.

Greene (45.8%) and Fayne (45.7%) are the only 2 D with sub 50% O/DSt%'s on the team. Gelinas has looked great minus his play as of late but a lot of that has to do with DeBoer sheltering him with a favorable 64.4% O/DSt% and usually not playing him against as tough competition as Fayne. Same thing with Merrill but to a lesser extent with his O/DSt% at 56.9%.

Fayne is also the 3rd most used D on the PK where Merrill and Gelinas rarely see time. Fayne's averaging 1:50 per game and he's valuable considering the injury risk with Salvador and Volchenkov.

Playing with Greene will make anyone look better but I feel like Fayne has held his own for the most part. It's not like this is a new role for him considering what he did with Tallinder a few years ago.

And they can't get Fayne out of the lineup fast enough for me now...he was beyond awful tonight. Picking his nose on the goal, that stupid delay of game penalty when nobody was within ten feet of him...it's a shame that pairing has become Greene carrying Fayne's corpse around. He's a shell of what he used to be.

Merrill is the guy who can't be shipped down to Albany fast enough. Hes not NHL ready and PDB and his dementia gives him big boy minutes. Hurry back Larsson.

Merrill is the guy who can't be shipped down to Albany fast enough. Hes not NHL ready and PDB and his dementia gives him big boy minutes. Hurry back Larsson.

Yeah that's a problem too.  Merrill gets treated like he's Chris Pronger and they're going to do to him what they did with Larsson his rookie year.  Especially since you have Zidlicky, Gelinas and Fayne screwing up on a semi-regular basis more than Merrill really.

Edited by NJDevs4978

pete just said schneids in net tomorrow. here we go. hopefully they can actually score against the isles and not hold back and play dumb

its gonna be a 1 goal loss.  A. they never score much for schneider, and lately hes been good for a very weak goal per game.   B.  The devils as a whole lately do not play well vs the islanders.