2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs thread

MadDog2020

2006?  Nah, let's shelve that.  Brodeur wasn't great that year - well, he was very good in some games, and he put up a very solid SV% - but I don't think that was a great team by any means, it's just that luck made it seem like it was.  I also think it's silly to talk about 'playoff failures' with the Devils - that's just how it is with dominant teams generally.  NJ just had more years where they lost in the 1st round than you'd expect.

I'm in agreement with you. The 2006 Devils were not a great team in the same way that the 2012 Rangers weren't a great team either. I am not trying to be harsh on Brodeur because I believe you need to be...I am just saying that if people here want to be really tough on Lundqvist, then we can do the very same for Brodeur. Both are unfair.

Edited by devilsrule33

It's probably a little early to say that about the Wild (it's only Year 2 of the Parise-Suter Era).  They haven't lost the series to the Blackhawks YET.  And as we know, the NHL playoffs are often a bit of a crapshoot.  Elite teams do stumble and leave the door open for the next-tier, Minnesota-types. 

Those kinds of contracts are NEVER a good idea from a long-term standpoint anyway, but GMs can never help themselves. 

you cannot point to chicago without acknowledging that they had a decade of futility that allowed for high draft picks like kane, toews, seabrook and keith as headliners. yes, they made some terrific moves that have really worked out like hossa but patrick sharp - who is extremely important to that team, was a diamond in the rough that they got in a nothing trade with philly. the last time i can remember something like that happening was markus naslund and vancouver.

chicago is disgustingly stacked and hitting on high draft picks and locking them up at the right time.

i actually think minny is in pretty good shape and for the next 4-5 years, did very well with parise and suter. after that, who the hell knows - the CBA will expire and/or the cap could be $85MM.

It's probably a little early to say that about the Wild (it's only Year 2 of the Parise-Suter Era).  They haven't lost the series to the Blackhawks YET.  And as we know, the NHL playoffs are often a bit of a crapshoot.  Elite teams do stumble and leave the door open for the next-tier, Minnesota-types. 

Those kinds of contracts are NEVER a good idea from a long-term standpoint anyway, but GMs can never help themselves. 

I thought that article was pretty bad. The Wild are down 3-2 in the 2nd round against the defending Stanley Cup Champions. The day those contracts were signed, I bet everyone in the Wild organization would have signed up for this result. He probably wrote this article after game 5 of the 1st round and just couldn't wait any longer.

I don't think the Wild signed those contracts because they felt it made them instead Cup contenders. They had a treadmill hockey team and a fan base that was getting tired of them doing nothing. This was to give the organization a spark. Keep the fans happy and go back to selling out all night. Over time, perhaps they could add a few pieces and be a contender.

There is no blue print to being a great team. You need to draft well, of course, but for every Chicago and Pittsburgh, there is a Florida or Edmonton or NYI. Chicago was terrible forever before being good. Not everyone wants to go that route, and like Edmonton has shown, that process might never end.

He loses a lot of his argument when he brings up Boston and Chara. He was a UFA signing. Is he the exception? Maybe, but the Wild might have thought Suter could be the next Chara for them. Chara is their best player. A UFA signing.  Also, Parise right now is second in playoff scoring. They have a fantastic player that helped them get this far. Of you course you can't win a Stanley Cup only on free agent signings, but you can get a lot better and rely on trades and drafting to get you the rest of the way.

Now say Parise signed with the Devils, he was home grown talent, but he wasn't taking any discount to sign here. If he ended up choosing the Devils, it be at market price. The Devils signed Kovalchuk at a price higher than any other team in free agency. Would that be trying to buy a Cup according to this writer? I don't think so. You still have the young defense. You still can make the Schneider trade. So you have two high priced players signed in free agency, but you can still build a great team around them.

The Wild can still do that...

Edited by devilsrule33

I'm surprised, too, at the timing of that article. The Wild look pretty good to me, and they are headed in the right direction.

As much as it hurts to admit, I agree.  They got two really good players who can be cornerstones of their franchise and both will set a great example for their young guys on how to be true professionals.  I think you can see that already.  Their future looks pretty good.  

That being said, if the rumors are true and they go and throw a boatload of money at Vanek, all bets are off.  That dude has horrible contract written all over him.  

Look who is at tonights Brooklyn Nets game. At least they both have something in common, they both fled New Jersey

IMG_20140512_214015_zps7bc7ee44.jpg

Quick search of twitter has that same joke made 100 times. Not saying you stole it. Speaking of twitter...

Water Bottle Abuser @HellblazerVice 1h

Ilya Kovalchuk has shown up for more games in North America than Steve Bernier did this season

Quick search of twitter has that same joke made 100 times. Not saying you stole it. Speaking of twitter...

Water Bottle Abuser ‏@HellblazerVice 1h

Ilya Kovalchuk has shown up for more games in North America than Steve Bernier did this season

Haha nice, I don't do twitter but I'm not surprised cause its such an easy joke. I was watching the game and snapped a picture of the tv when I saw him.

I don't know if there's any scenario I'm down with. I guess anything is "fine" as long as the Rangers don't win. Really don't want the Kings to win either, Habs fans are insufferable (though I quite like their team), Ducks = bleh, Wild can go get lost in the woods...so yeah I guess go Hawks?

Edited by Marshall