Devils re-sign Zidlicky

MadDog2020

Because Toronto's D is terrible, and I would deal Andy Greene in an effort to get him.

What the hell is the matter with you. You're talking about bringing in a NJ native who grew up a Rangers fan? I wouldn't trade a pint of Hammonton blueberries for him. He can rot cupless in Toronto.

Fayne certainly has to come back. Dump Sal, trade gelinas, let harrold clean the urinals.

What the hell is the matter with you. You're talking about bringing in a NJ native who grew up a Rangers fan? I wouldn't trade a pint of Hammonton blueberries for him. He can rot cupless in Toronto.

Fayne certainly has to come back. Dump Sal, trade gelinas, let harrold clean the urinals.

I agree, you don't want a player who doesn't want to be here.  If we're going to trade a defenseman, I'd rather it be Gelinas or Severson.  I love having this pipeline full of talented young defensemen. 

Edit: Nevermind, had my facts wrong... Regardless, I would love JVR on this team.

Edited by DJ Eco

If you want to take Lou speak at face value, he said that he absolutely wants Fayne back.

I remember a couple years ago, Lou was a huuuuuge Fayne fan. I didn't really get it at the time, but he gave his vocal vote of confidence pretty clearly. I think Fayne told Gulitti something like, Lou told him it was okay to buy a house (or apartment) because he was in the long-term plans here. I'll be shocked if Fayne isn't re-signed, I think he's absolutely an integral part of the D core here and flew under the radar enough to maybe not get too much money on the open UFA market.

Who thinks JVR likes being a Maple Leaf?

maybe the Devils arent his favorite team, but wouldnt mind coming "home" to NJ

I think we're overthinking it. Hockey's a business and people have no qualms about rivalries or team preferences once a team is paying them 4-5 million. Like you said, being able to come back to NJ and live in a mansion near your family is a good draw, but I don't think JVR's being a Rangers fan as a kid gets in the way (thecoffeecake).

I remember a couple years ago, Lou was a huuuuuge Fayne fan. I didn't really get it at the time, but he gave his vocal vote of confidence pretty clearly. I think Fayne told Gulitti something like, Lou told him it was okay to buy a house (or apartment) because he was in the long-term plans here. I'll be shocked if Fayne isn't re-signed, I think he's absolutely an integral part of the D core here and flew under the radar enough to maybe not get too much money on the open UFA market.

yeah Fayne seems very much like a Lou guy, especially with the providence connection. I'd be surprised if Lou just let's him go without trying to make room for him, but that would be hard unless two d that are already signed are moved. Plus I can see Fayne getting a very good deal via ufa and Lou going into full proud father mode and wishing him the best a la clarkson.

I think we're overthinking it. Hockey's a business and people have no qualms about rivalries or team preferences once a team is paying them 4-5 million. Like you said, being able to come back to NJ and live in a mansion near your family is a good draw, but I don't think JVR's being a Rangers fan as a kid gets in the way (thecoffeecake).

Just look at the Matteau's when we drafted Stephan...him and his dad put on the Devils gear and were quite happy about it

the chance to play on a good team in a good area with a nice paycheck really changes things!

but this JVR thing is just somebodys wish anyway.

trading greene and letting fayne walk is being treated quite nonchalant here lol.  who's stepping into our top "DEFENSIVE PAIRING"????  yeah we have a pipeline, but Im not seeing two better defensive skaters out there yet!

Id rather see merrill and larson as second pairing for another year before turning the reins over, but i guess we dont have that luxury with fayne

Edited by EdgeControl

Hopefully Lou will buy out Volchenkov, and trade someone else.  This way we wont have the log jam we have had over the last couple of years on defense 

Unfortunately we all know Salvador won't be going anywhere so I wonder if they'd move a guy like Harrold? It seems that DeBoer likes him a lot but they need to make room for Larsson, Merrill, and Gelinas. Harrold only has a year and $800k left on his deal and is a fine 7th D. I doubt it would be that hard to move him. Then maybe roll into the year with:

Greene-Fayne

Merrill-Larsson

Salvador-Zidlicky

Gelinas

Unfortunately we all know Salvador won't be going anywhere so I wonder if they'd move a guy like Harrold? It seems that DeBoer likes him a lot but they need to make room for Larsson, Merrill, and Gelinas. Harrold only has a year and $800k left on his deal and is a fine 7th D. I doubt it would be that hard to move him. Then maybe roll into the year with:

Greene-Fayne

Merrill-Larsson

Salvador-Zidlicky

Gelinas

As Tri pointed out, GMs would probably want more "snot" with the D-corpse, but if  Lou and Pete really took anything away from last year, they'd know that would be unnecessary. I think the 7 D you listed is a good list, although I don't love Gelinas being a 7 for an extended period of time. He needs to play. It doesn't have to be in NJ, but he needs all the reps he can get.

Greene-Fayne

Merrill-Larsson

Salvador-Zidlicky

Gelinas

if that's what it is, so be it. i would prefer it be volchenkov to salvador for a multitude of reasons, but whatever.

I think the 7 D you listed is a good list, although I don't love Gelinas being a 7 for an extended period of time. He needs to play. It doesn't have to be in NJ, but he needs all the reps he can get.

this concerns me very little. i don't like depending on injury to get a 7th defenseman in, but it's going to happen and gelinas will get plenty of time if that's the 7 they go with. Everyone on that list missed time last year with injury other than greene and zidlicky.

that being said, i really don't think that's the 7 lou will go with. i think at least one of salvador and volchenkov will be bought out or traded and I think he'll move a kid defenseman for an offensive player.

Agreed here with Gelly. He's not a 7th guy. A 7th guy is a guy who does everything at NHL level but nothing extraordinarily pretty or more than well...Harrold. If Gelly is here, he needs to play most of the time. I think we're expecting Fayne to walk as he's probably wanting a fresh start (athough he wasn's scratched for most of the season but it could've left a bad taste)...I do have a feeling Lou will pull the trigger on a deal involving one of our young D...you'd have to think Merrill is untouchable, but nothing will surprise me depending on the return. No one is untouchable.

Gelinas should not be a 7th D - he just has to get in there.  If he's doing poorly then switch him out for some games, but he'll have to figure out the NHL.

Didn't think it would get this much attention but I figure I should explain. The only reason I listed Gelinas as 7th is because of DeBoer and I was trying to show a situation in which my boy Fayne gets re-signed.. Salvador when healthy won't come out of the line up, no matter how bad he is. Greene and Fayne (if re-signed) will anchor the top pair. Zidlicky sucks at D like Gelinas but has a much longer leash. Merrill sat at times last year but was mostly solid and earned DeBoer's trust. In the situation above that I posted I think that leaves Larsson and Gelinas to get yo-yo'd in and out of the line up DeBoer style unfortunately. Though I think it's safe to assume injuries would occur and get whoever was the 7th D in the line up. Still holding out hope Lou makes a trade to get rid of the logjam but I've been saying that for 2 years now.

Edited by thefiestygoat

Agreed here with Gelly. He's not a 7th guy. A 7th guy is a guy who does everything at NHL level but nothing extraordinarily pretty or more than well...Harrold. If Gelly is here, he needs to play most of the time. I think we're expecting Fayne to walk as he's probably wanting a fresh start (athough he wasn's scratched for most of the season but it could've left a bad taste)...I do have a feeling Lou will pull the trigger on a deal involving one of our young D...you'd have to think Merrill is untouchable, but nothing will surprise me depending on the return. No one is untouchable.

I'm all for acquiring a young player, but we have to target the right type. The Yak's of the world simply do not interest me. JVR, Blake Wheeler, Lucic are who we need and if we cannot get a player of that caliber we should standpat and wait. Settling would be the worst thing we can do at this time.

How likely do you guys think it is that Fayne re-signs?

I feel like it's unlikely at this point given the amount of D they have, but crazier things have happened. I'm really curious to see what Fayne gets from the Devils or elsewhere since he's the type of D that teams seem to undervalue. Hope they find a way to retain him though.

How likely do you guys think it is that Fayne re-signs?

Well, I've been saying since the end of the season, barring a trade, you can only bring back one of Fayne or Zids, and I was hoping it was Fayne, because I don't trust Zidlicky to repeat this season next year.  Fayne is a great homegrown player, 5th rounder, and is a great stay at home guy who is passable in both ends and plays really well with Greene.  The only way Fayne comes back now is if some moves at made before the 1st.  I trust Lou to get it done. 

Is Fayne that hot of a property? I mean he's a good player, but are GM's really out there thinking he is the answer to their defensive woes?

He is WAY under the radar. The kind of guy who you know is doing his job because you barely notice he's there.

losing fayne because we're holding on to zid and sal and volch  for one year seems foolish and short-sighted . gelly and larsson are the up and comers but neither play 1 v 1 against NHL speed like fayne , and obviously volch sal and zid dont either.