Will the Devs utilize their remaining amnesty buyout?

mfitz804

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

can someone explain to me how the buyout works. i noticed teams are only allowed two. does that mean teams can only have two until the cba gets renewed again?

No this is the last year to use it. Use it or lose it. And there is no guarantee it will be in the next CBA

Edited by roomtemp

can someone explain to me how the buyout works. i noticed teams are only allowed two. does that mean teams can only have two until the cba gets renewed again?

When the new CBA got signed, each team was allowed two 'compliance' buy-outs. They're essentially 'get out of jail free' cards to be used on any contract signed prior to the new CBA where you can get rid of a guy and not have it count on your cap. Once you use them, they're gone though. That's it. You can do a regular buy-out, but those have cap ramifications.

so the nhl will never have compliance buyouts anymore after this year?

Who knows what the business of the game will be in 8 years when the CBA is done but its something that will be bargained for not something that's going to be standard like alot in the CBA

I just have a bad feeling he will do neither. 

Well, I think it is somewhat clear he'd rather do neither. Lou is a big fan of the Devils defense -- one that includes Salvador and Volchenkov. I'm of the opinion that he hasn't given much thought to buying out Captain Snot.

I know a few people have brought up Lou's history of trading or buying out veterans, but almost everytime it has been the player asking him to do so or their have been other issues. Lou wasn't happy with Langenbrunner's behaviour so he asked him to waive his NTC. Rolston and Pandolfo asked to be moved...and from everything I have read, White and Lou also talked about a change of scenery.

Savaldor is the captain. He's been professional (a big part of that is he's never been scratched to start a fuss like Langenbrunner or Pandolfo). Lou absolutely loves Bryce. Just don't see anyway he is bought out or moved. Volchenkov has been scratched a bunch of times. He isn't the captain. He's the obvious choice.

If Lou let's Faye walk, I say you need to have somebody with a physical presence on D. I didn't say Volchenkov or Sal are ideal, but given the current situation(not picking up someone) I think you need one of the 2. If anyone gets bought out it's probably Volch since he has more term despite being better than Sal.

These compliance buyouts should be having way more value, especially to the teams that are struggling with the cap. I haven't crunched the numbers, but I have to believe there would be a del out there somewhere if Lou feels bad mixing deals he signed. You know, the man of his word type thinking. I know he bought out heddy, but I am sure Lou is taking care of him on the other side.

Any chance Close is a dark horse candidate of compliance buyout?

Edited by hystyk28

Well, I think it is somewhat clear he'd rather do neither. Lou is a big fan of the Devils defense -- one that includes Salvador and Volchenkov. I'm of the opinion that he hasn't given much thought to buying out Captain Snot.

I know a few people have brought up Lou's history of trading or buying out veterans, but almost everytime it has been the player asking him to do so or their have been other issues. Lou wasn't happy with Langenbrunner's behaviour so he asked him to waive his NTC. Rolston and Pandolfo asked to be moved...and from everything I have read, White and Lou also talked about a change of scenery.

Savaldor is the captain. He's been professional (a big part of that is he's never been scratched to start a fuss like Langenbrunner or Pandolfo). Lou absolutely loves Bryce. Just don't see anyway he is bought out or moved. Volchenkov has been scratched a bunch of times. He isn't the captain. He's the obvious choice.

I don't recall reading about Pandolfo asking for a trade, or starting a fuss when he was scratched.

It just all depends on what Lou wants to do.  He has less than $10 million to re-sign Gelinas, Larsson, Carter, Gionta, Josefson, Brodeur/a backup goalie and add anyone.  That means possibly adding one guy, maybe a third-line center.  If he does dump Volchenkov, I still think he's going to want to add someone, whether it's at the NHL or AHL level, but that certainly opens up room for a Stastny if they wanted to add him.

I don't recall reading about Pandolfo asking for a trade, or starting a fuss when he was scratched.

It just all depends on what Lou wants to do.  He has less than $10 million to re-sign Gelinas, Larsson, Carter, Gionta, Josefson, Brodeur/a backup goalie and add anyone.  That means possibly adding one guy, maybe a third-line center.  If he does dump Volchenkov, I still think he's going to want to add someone, whether it's at the NHL or AHL level, but that certainly opens up room for a Stastny if they wanted to add him.

I guess he was aware enough that he wasn't likely to be traded with his contract.

Soon-to-be former Devil Jay Pandolfo told me this afternoon that he asked general manager Lou Lamoriello to place him on waivers, so he could be bought out.

“I asked him if he would do it for me,” Pandolfo said. “Obviously, the last two years have been a difficult two years and I don’t want to go through the same exact thing next year. I still want to play and this gives me an opportunity to try to sign with another team.”

Pandolfo, who will turn 36 on Dec. 27, said the final decision wasn’t made until this morning when he called Lamoriello and requested to be bought out. If he clears waivers at noon Thursday without being claimed, that’s what will happen.

- See more at: http://blogs.northjersey.com/blogs/fireice/comments/looking_for_a_fresh_start_pandolfo_asked_to_be_bought_out/#sthash.xH2tfy0O.dpuf

Edited by devilsrule33

Now imagine if Sal did something like that. "I called Lou and asked to be bought out because I'm not that good."

That would be glorious. Alas, we aren't that lucky. Sal probably still thinks he's 2009 Sal. These players are delusional about their abilities and limitations most of the time.

I'm hoping Lou can dump Sal on Buffalo and then buy-out Volch. That would be a dream come true. But that 'aint gonna happen. If he could do one of those things I'd be more than pleased.

Indeed, it would be a dream come true. But Lou will do neither. He'll keep Sal and Volch.  

#devilsstatusquo

Except...

BreakingNEWS# first ever trade between NJ and NY!!!

Anton Volchenkov has been trade to the NYR. In exchange New Jersey get Taro Tsujimoto!

At first all I read was Volchenkov trade NYR and thought, "you gotta be fvcking kidding me". Then I actually read the rest of your post. Was all kinds of excited for half a second lol.