2014 Training Camp Thread

Jas0nMacIsaac

Sorry BH...one last comment for now:

This wasn't strictly a Gionta gripe. It was about the 4th line as a whole. It's about a team desperately trying to improve the offense but for two years sticking with this group unless it was moving each of them up to a different line. This team needs more scoring, and I am positive a Ruutu-Josefson-Brunner line will be a major upgrade. That's a really nice group, so it was interesting that they would be together in a group of what was definitely 15 other skaters that will be in the lineup.

And, you want to keep Gio in the lineup, then you might as well keep a line with players like Carter or Bernier because Gionta with Brunner is not going to jive regardless what Deboer says (he said he loves how Gionta can play anywhere, and soon after he was playing two games with Elias). Gionta is not a real center and don't think he is capable of making a pass in the neutral zone. He really is only going to play one way. That style that the line plays is one the staff really like, but it's good that they tried something new today. Hope to see it in one exhibition game.

So let me get this straight, we have a team that's bottom 5 in the league in scoring for 2 years.

Your plan to fix that is to put josefson, who is unquestionably a bust, on a line with a streaky Brunner and an aging Ruutu. Well I'll give you the fact that Brunner started to play well, then got hurt. Ruutu can still be a factor.

But for christs sake stop putting josefson in the lineup like he's this promising contributor. Jesus tits. 7 goals, 25 points in FOUR YEARS. Including 2 goals and 4 assists over the past 2 years in 50 games. TWO GOALS AND FOUR ASSISTS SINCE 2012. And don't tell me about how bad his linemates are. It doesn't matter who your linemates are, if you're a legit NHL scorer, even a 3rd line scorer, you can put up points with mediocre players around you. Not to mention the kid has got the stature of a 9th grader.

Put josefson in the minors for half a season and if he can't show he's an NHL ready center by then, cut ties and move on to another project.

Edited by Bartholomew Hunt

The thing with Brunner is that he's not playing the system particularly well all the time BUT if you put him in a situation to score, he'll likely be able to put it in.

While we have a bunch of players who plays the system from A to Z flawlessly but can't fvcking put the puck in the net when they have a chance. How many games have we thought we dominated the whole game, outshooting them, always with the puck always coming close to score but can't score at all and lose by a goal ? 

Or you can see a Brunner playing badly all game but gets an opportunity, put one in and you win by a goal.

The system is surely something he'll learn at some point, his scoring skills is something some of our guys will never have. Goals wins games, corsi and shots for, playing well and possession doesn't always win you games. Pretty dumb black and white statement and ridiculous of course but we know already we're playing a good defensive and possession system but its obvious we need scorers and thats why im a bit relucant to bash them for not playing the system perfectly yet.

at the end of the day as long he's not hurting the team with his bad play and can score when he has opportunities, he has a pass with me

Edited by SterioDesign

Good news I was reading TG post and in the comments they were discussing the Philly game on TV. I have DirecTV and the listings now show the Devils vs Flyers on MSG+ at 7 PM Thursday and Fridays game with the Isles.

Go Devils

this would be sweet, i read someone posted this same thing over on HF but when checked last night it didnt say that the game was going to be on.

at the end of the day as long he's not hurting the team with his bad play and can score when he has opportunities, he has a pass with me

except he does hurt the team with his bad play. And his 11 goals in 60 games played doesn't make up for it. Brunner had one of the worst zone start/finish stats on the team last year, just ahead of cam Janssen.

Honestly if it's a choice of a guy like josefson or Brunner id take josefson 10 times out of 10 because I think if given 60 games he could match brunners goal total with much more responsible play.

except he does hurt the team with his bad play. And his 11 goals in 60 games played doesn't make up for it. Brunner had one of the worst zone start/finish stats on the team last year, just ahead of cam Janssen.

Honestly if it's a choice of a guy like josefson or Brunner id take josefson 10 times out of 10 because I think if given 60 games he could match brunners goal total with much more responsible play.

of course but again, but is still adapting to the NHL and can adjust to a system maybe. Who knows

i just checked they changed it from last night and i have cablevision.. however fridays game is not listed that it will be on but hopefully they change it and it will be!

As I said I have DirecTV and my guide shows the Philly game 7-9:30 and the Isles game 7;30-10PM on channel 635 that is MSG +

Edited by BostonNala370

And this is where I think advanced analytics play a role. You feel like Brunner has so much skill using the eye test, but looking at those zone starts, he really is what he is(if not worse) and comparing him to JJ is an excellent comparison. Is Brunner nothing more than a slightly better Tedenby?

I don't mind the Flyers feed. I think I was watching a few Flyers preseason games on a Comcast feed last year and I like their play-by-play guy. Wonder if it's the same guy.

i dont mind most of the other broadcasters that are televised around this area.. except for the rangers broadcasters god i cant even stand the bald guys voice.

I don't mind the Flyers feed. I think I was watching a few Flyers preseason games on a Comcast feed last year and I like their play-by-play guy. Wonder if it's the same guy.

That would be Jim Jackson. He does a nice job. After having the Center Ice package the last 5 years it amazes me at how bad these broadcast teams can be. The Flyers also moved Steve Coates to radio from rinkside and replaced him with Chris " Bundy" Therien.

Can you tell I watch too much hockey?

Edited by hystyk28

Something to be excited about on every line. First chance to get see Cam on the top line. Second line has Boucher and Gomez (blech) on it. Third line consists entirely of players we have wanted to see play better since they got here, and the fourth line has an unsigned player.

Forwards: Mike Cammalleri-Travis Zajac-Jaromir Jagr; Reid Boucher-Scott Gomez-Mike Sislo; Tuomo Ruutu-Jacob Josefson-Damien Brunner; Ryan Carter-Stephen Gionta-Steve Bernier. 

Starting to thin out the ranks. Per TG, Timmins, Darcy Zajac, sislo, sestito, Kelly and Burlon all on waivers today.

Bit surprised they didn't keep sislo around longer but I guess they have enough wingers that he really doesn't have a realistic shot.

What's the deal with Burlon. 2-3 years ago I felt he was considered a future nhl defensman. Was he just passed up on the depth chart? Does he have an nhl future at all?

Markstrom put on waivers today. Personally, I would rather have him than Kinkaid or Clemmenson. As far as Clemmer goes, I'm not sure if he is even above average at the AHL level. With Kinkaid, I think at very best we're looking at a career backup but even that is unlikely. I'd rather drop these two and take a chance with Markstrom as the backup goalie. Markstrom has put up excellent numbers at the AHL level, but garbage at the NHL level. Playing in Florida probably had a lot to do with that.

Also interesting is that Vancouver managed to turn Luongo and Schneider into Bo Harvat and Shawn Matias. Not the best return...

Markstrom put on waivers today. Personally, I would rather have him than Kinkaid or Clemmenson. As far as Clemmer goes, I'm not sure if he is even above average at the AHL level. With Kinkaid, I think at very best we're looking at a career backup but even that is unlikely. I'd rather drop these two and take a chance with Markstrom as the backup goalie. Markstrom has put up excellent numbers at the AHL level, but garbage at the NHL level. Playing in Florida probably had a lot to do with that.

Also interesting is that Vancouver managed to turn Luongo and Schneider into Bo Harvat and Shawn Matias. Not the best return...

Geez i'd totally pick up Markstrom as a project if im Lou, he might not be NHL ready just yet but he always impressed me. If Wedge becomes anything and that Kinkaid also turn out to be solid and on top of that Markstrom become what he's believe to be. Great problem to have and it's really not as if we couldnt use assets in the future

Plus how hilarious would it be that the goalie who got traded to Vancouver for Luongo end up backing up Schneider in NJ... for nothing?

Do it Lou. Do it.

Edited by SterioDesign

Starting to thin out the ranks. Per TG, Timmins, Darcy Zajac, sislo, sestito, Kelly and Burlon all on waivers today.

Bit surprised they didn't keep sislo around longer but I guess they have enough wingers that he really doesn't have a realistic shot.

What's the deal with Burlon. 2-3 years ago I felt he was considered a future nhl defensman. Was he just passed up on the depth chart? Does he have an nhl future at all?

Burlon played tonight. The others are all expected.

I thought Kinkaid had a very strong game after his botch and that chemistry between Havlat and Elias tonight was beautiful.

i felt the same way.. that move he pulled pissed me off a bit though to cost that goal, they need to get zubrus off that line and put someone there that has more talent that isnt going to anchor it down and that could be a lethal set up for us.. maybe ryder with them since hes a finisher and the other two are playmakers.