2014-2015 Around the league thread

MadDog2020

In 2 straight weekends, the Sens couldn't muster more than a point against their bitter rival. They lost in overtime and in a shootout to the Maple Leafs. That could cost them. I give Ottawa a lot of credit. But it's the points they didn't gain against an awful team that they could look back on. That it comes against their nemesis that historically has done them in hurts big time. 

Boston was going to straighten out. They're proven. They'll wind up finishing 3rd in that division leaving the Red Wings and Sens scrambling for the final wildcard.

All the 'bitter rival' stuff doesn't matter; all you did above was throw in a bunch of adjectives to try and push a point you know doesn't really make sense. That you can pull a negative out of the way Ottawa has played lately is astounding. You couldn't even find a regulation loss to criticize them for.

All the 'bitter rival' stuff doesn't matter; all you did above was throw in a bunch of adjectives to try and push a point you know doesn't really make sense. That you can pull a negative out of the way Ottawa has played lately is astounding. You couldn't even find a regulation loss to criticize them for.

Agreed. By the way that Sens-Leafs game was awesome. Sometimes I forget that Devils games are almost a different sport.

That game was exciting hockey if nothing else. 83 shots balanced between the teams. Toronto has arguably had their two best goaltending games of the year between Reimer against Boston yesterday (stopped 49 of 50 shots) and Bernier today (43 of 45). 

I doubt Turris cares about that. The Sens again blow a chance to gain valuable points. Both times they lose to the Leafs in crushing fashion. Ottawa must beat Pittsburgh in regulation Tuesday. 

This is so unfair.  The Sens have gone 20-4-4 in their last 28.  They've beaten some tough opponents along the way...it's not fair to cherry-pick two games out of those 28 and say "the Sens blew it there, that's the reason they're not going to the playoffs."  You can't knock them for two games they "should" have had, and ignore all of the wins they pulled off against teams that were well ahead of them in the standings.  They've also pulled out two big OT wins and a SO win before this last loss.  If they don't get those, then you're not even talking about the loss to the Leafs.  

It's just about impossible to be perfect, and 20-4-4 (.786 point%) is about as close as an NHL team can come to that.  A .786 point% translates to a 129-point regular season...it's really REALLY hard to sustain that as long as the Sens have.     

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

I just wanted to comment on Mark Arcobello and throw some kudos his way. The guy is playing on his 4th team this season - the Coyotes - in only his second year in the NHL. For whatever reason, he is scoring at a higher rate on this, his 4th team of the year than the previous three. He has 16 points (9G, 7A) in 24 games for Arizona, which is about a 55 point pace over 82 games. In the midst of a dreadful season, he has been a more than pleasant surprise for the Coyotes so far. Consider that before he was claimed by Arizona, he had a total of 15 points in 50 games this season. It can't be easy to have moved around so much in one season, especially with such little NHL experience, and still end up playing the best hockey of his career. So props to him, he might just make it in the show after all.

Edited by Neb00rs

Lol, all Buffalo had to do was lose tonight and they would have locked up last place in the NHL this season. Lindback screwed them over with a huge game, stopping 49 of 52 shots.

In other news, Brian Gionta is on blazing fire right now, with 14 points in his last 12 games.

The Rags are one win away from the Presidents Trophy, and one round away from golf.

They'll clinch the President's Trophy in our building tomorrow. Add yet another kick in the balls to the seemingly never-ending list this season.

And of course these sorry a$$holes will probably just roll over and take it, seeing as how it's a game that we would actually care about winning.

The Rags are one win away from the Presidents Trophy, and one round away from golf.

Last team that won the presidents trophy got embarrassed in the first round

Don't tell their fans that, they're already planning the ticket tape parade and the 5 nights of banner raising for next year followed by 36 other pregame ceremonies commemorating this season and to retire 15 numbers from this team.

Don't tell their fans that, they're already planning the ticket tape parade and the 5 nights of banner raising for next year followed by 36 other pregame ceremonies commemorating this season and to retire 15 numbers from this team.

This would have been funny if it wasnt so probable

There should be an extra giveaway for Devils fans only tomorrow: all fans in Devils apparel will receive a set of brass knuckles, courtesy of JAG Physical Therapy... You wanna show real fan appreciation? Let Devils fans go to town on all the scumbag Rags bros who will predictably come in and act like they own the place tomorrow.

Edited by MadDog2020

There should be an extra giveaway for Devils fans only tomorrow: all fans in Devils apparel will receive a set of brass knuckles, courtesy of JAG Physical Therapy... You wanna show real fan appreciation? Let Devils fans go to town on all the scumbag Rags bros who will predictably come in and act like they own the place tomorrow.

I mean thats cool and all but no

You need brass knuckles to fight?

Columbus cannot finish behind the Devils now.  So it's just the Flyers left to deal with.

Considering how much the Flyers hate the Penguins, I wouldn't be surprised if they do not have their A game on Saturday when they play Ottawa.  Obviously, the game might be meaningless, but if Ottawa can knock out the Pens, it might happen.

Good point, but the brass knuckles are more or less symbolic... Although don't forget the women and children. They would need the extra help. [emoji14]

True.  Not sure if it is true, but I do recall when I was a bouncer joking that we should carry brass knuckles.  Another bouncer said, "You don't want those.  You punch someone with brass knuckles, you can break your fingers."  Now, this guy definitely had more than one screw loose, so I wouldn't be shocked if he had several pairs of brass knuckles.  On the otherhand, he could have just been messing with me.  He was not a normal human.

Jamie Benn just tied his career high of 79 points from last year with a goal and an assist tonight. He's the dark horse in the Art Ross race. He's has 42 points since the start of January. Pairings don't get much more deadly than Seguin and Benn.

Edit: Make that three points tonight, to set a new career high with 80 points and he now has 45 points since the start of January.

Edited by Neb00rs

I hate to say it but most of the league's fans and GMs think this is the Rangers' year.... I'm pretty terrified...