John Hynes of Pens AHL team expected to be Next coach.

RunninWithTheDevil

Who cares how much we pay a coach at all?  These owners can afford it.

For Boucher, I do think that he is a little bit of a loose cannon.  Maybe that's what the team needs to knock some sense into them.  Who are the coaches that the Devils would have to give up a 3rd if they hired them?  Paul MacLean?  He was a finalist for the Jack Adams two years ago and then won it last year.  I don't know about giving a pick up for him though.  Plus we can make lots of Wilford Brimley jokes.

If Hitchcock leaves St. Louis, I'm fine with him. I'm ok with Bylsma if we went that route as well. Boucher would not be the worst hire, he's still finding his way in terms of style and could be worth giving a shot to.

There's not many current names out there that I'd be particularly annoyed by if they were hired. I'd be least enthusiastic about Randy Carlyle, but I doubt that has much of a chance.

I'd be OK with Carlyle. Toronto is/was a horrible place to coach. The team quit on him, but as good as they were (earlier in the year) they did nothing for his replacement.

Has everyone given up on Ron Wilson?  I'll bet Shero's waiting for playoffs to end so he can get permission to talk to a few guys. (AHL & CHL)  I wonder if they "scout" coaches.

I'd be OK with Carlyle. Toronto is/was a horrible place to coach. The team quit on him, but as good as they were (earlier in the year) they did nothing for his replacement.

Blech. Toronto may be a terrible place to coach, but NJ isn't much of an upgrade in terms of roster at the moment, maybe stronger organization bc we dont have to deal with the MLSE garbage, but Carlyle is not a guy for a team thats likely going to struggle. He has a Cup thanks to Pronger and Niedermayer, but outside of those first two years in Anaheim, he has done literally nothing since. He's the worst name out there IMO.

The biggest gripe from me on Bylsma are his team's collapses, from playoffs to even the USA Olympic team last year, his teams fall over themselves.

That being said, he has coached great teams, as people have said, with stars missing significant amounts of time, has great regular season success and is a coach who is not afraid to bench veterans for youth, which is something this team has been missing.

The biggest gripe from me on Bylsma are his team's collapses, from playoffs to even the USA Olympic team last year, his teams fall over themselves.

That being said, he has coached great teams, as people have said, with stars missing significant amounts of time, has great regular season success and is a coach who is not afraid to bench veterans for youth, which is something this team has been missing.

So basically you like him

I've never thought Bylsma was that great of a coach, but I will say that if that is who we go with, I like the fact that in the past Shero and Bylsma have had a really good working relationship. It always seemed like they were on the same page which at times I don't think the same could be said for Lou and PDB.

While you're not wrong on the gripes, I think its hard to place the blame firmly on his shoulders for the Pens' collapses and/or the 2014 Olympics. Losing to Canada in the Semifinals (1-0) of that tournament is hardly something to scoff at and its not a stretch to think they just didnt give a damn in the bronze medal game. They got beat by the best team in the world by 1 goal and shat the bed for the bronze medal. Eh.  In respect to the Pens, a lot of his teams dealt with injuries to key guys and IMO they were saddled with a somewhat talented but ultimately a goaltender who is basically a basketcase. They should've achieved more, but I dont think Byslma can be blamed alone. His replacement has only regressed that team more. Lets not forget that in 10-11, Crosby and Malkin were out for a long period of time and they still were contending when a lot of people thought they were screwed even though they didnt win the Cup, he deserved the Adams trophy that year.

Thats not to say I'm excited by the idea of Bylsma or I think he's going to be some magic potion that cures our woes, but I definitely think he is an improvement over Oates, I like the fact he's relatively young, and he has had recent success in the league. The onus right now is on Shero to rebuild this roster than the guy behind the bench.

I'm firmly against Bylsma if the Pens request any sort of compensation. Its not a certainty they will ask for it since they may just want to be rid of the contract, but they could espc since we're division rivals.