2015 Stanley Cup Playoffs thread

MadDog2020

Congratulations to the Hawks.

NBC cuts the feed now. What a joke of a ceremony and presentation by the NHL. The crowd was dead for a few minutes after winning the cup at home becasue of the wait.

I was going to say even with the delay in surprised how quiet the crowd is for winning the Stanley cup. I know maybe they are used to it by now but first time on home ice in about 80 years you would think that place ceiling should be on the verge of collapsing.

Yet all I've heard from Rags fans since they lost is how banged up they were... Like they're special for that or something. Rags fans gonna Rags fan though I guess.

Injuries are a factor. So is the amount of games played over a period. What the Hawks accomplished with basically 4 D is incredible. Tampa had 3 players hurt. I don't know how Bishop played but he wasn't the problem. Their offense hit a wall. Similar to what happened to the Rangers last round. Stamkos was snake bit. Hedman was their best player. I wanted them to win. I could care less about our fans who needed Callahan to lose. What a load of crap. The guy gave it his all here and got his payday. They wound up overpaying Girardi and Staal and Slats gave up too much for St. Louis.

I can't say enough about Keith. Guy is Hall Of Fame defenseman who carried his team even when they were outplayed at times by the Ducks and Bolts. He, Seabrook and Hjalmarsson are the best 1-3 D in the league. Oduya stepped up too. I was happy for Timonen. What a great way to go out. And Richards had a nice playoff. Set up both goals. 14 points. 11 years between Cups. 

Interesting to note all 3 of the Hawks Cups came in 6. 2010 at Flyers (Kane). 2013 at Bruins (Bickell/Bolland). 2015 vs Bolts (Keith). They won on home ice for the first time since 1938. Only took 77 years. I posted some more thoughts in my blog on the series. 

Congratulations to the Hawks.

NBC cuts the feed now. What a joke of a ceremony and presentation by the NHL. The crowd was dead for a few minutes after winning the cup at home becasue of the wait.

I hate that but it's what ABC did too when ESPN had it. Same sh!t with network TV cutting to the 11 news. The Cup was delayed due to the weather. I almost feel like the Hawks and their fans are so used to it they didn't celebrate like crazy when they won. They've been there before and now are a dynasty.

Finals were ok. And as mentioned before, we averted a major crises with the Rags. Tough NHL season overall to endure for Devils fans, but I suppose it could've been a lot worse.

I can't help but think it's over. That the window is closed. You only get so many opportunities. Between 2012-15, that was the chance to win. Lundqvist will be 34 next Spring and guys like G and Staal are getting older. I don't see anyone beating the Lightning in the East. They're gonna be there again.

When Stamkos couldn't convert on that breakaway, after hitting the crossbar earlier, I was reminded of the great quote from the 2000 Eastern Conference Finals against the Flyers:

"John Leclair now knows he cannot score on Martin Brodeur"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QypmC9iwJ9E

Substitute Stamkos & Crawford into that sentence and you have a clear picture of the 2015 Final.

Watching the scenes from the streets of Chicago and the jubilation outside the arena, I just can't imagine living and working in/near New York City if the Rangers were to win. I don't know if I could handle it, I'd probably call out sick for a week or use up all my vacation days.

Thank you Tampa Bay Lightning, we are in your debt.

Just to rant for a second; I know I'm not saying anything new here but it's moments like this where it really hits me how unique our situation is: thinking about it further, there's really nothing like the Devils-Rangers and now Islanders-Rangers rivalries. There are no franchises anywhere else in the league that are a 15 minute train ride away from each other's arenas and have the kind of overlap that these three teams have. As I watched the Chicago fans party in the streets, I realized: good thing their biggest rivals aren't across a river 15 minutes away, and it made me realize that no one has what we have, for better or worse.

Even Anaheim and LA are an hour away from each other with no traffic. There is at least *some* buffer there. But Devils, Rangers, Islanders, we're practically breathing on each other. No one else in the league could understand what it's like and what Islanders/Devils fans would have to face if the Rangers won the Cup. 

Sure, Edmonton and Calgary hate each other, but if one of them wins the Cup, they're still a 3-4 hour drive away from each other. The Stanley Cup parade would be a 3-4 hour drive away. Yes, Boston and Montreal dislike each other, but if one of them wins the Cup, screw it, they're 6-7 hours away and across national borders, it is what it is. Detroit and Chicago sure traditionally didn't like each other but with Chicago's recent success (and Detroit's previous success), you could still assume that the Detroit fans are in Michigan and Chicago fans are in Illinois for the most part. 

Geographically speaking, there's nothing like Devils-Rangers-Islanders, there just isn't. The only thing that could possibly compete one day would be if Hamilton, ON got a team (like was rumored a few years ago; or at least they were trying to), or if Buffalo AND Toronto somehow got super elite at the same time. But even then, we're talking about different countries; there's nothing like NY/NJ.

Edited by DJ Eco

Just to rant for a second; I know I'm not saying anything new here but it's moments like this where it really hits me how unique our situation is: thinking about it further, there's really nothing like the Devils-Rangers and now Islanders-Rangers rivalries. There are no franchises anywhere else in the league that are a 15 minute train ride away from each other's arenas and have the kind of overlap that these three teams have. As I watched the Chicago fans party in the streets, I realized: good thing their biggest rivals aren't across a river 15 minutes away, and it made me realize that no one has what we have, for better or worse.

Even Anaheim and LA are an hour away from each other with no traffic. There is at least *some* buffer there. But Devils, Rangers, Islanders, we're practically breathing on each other. No one else in the league could understand what it's like and what Islanders/Devils fans would have to face if the Rangers won the Cup.

Sure, Edmonton and Calgary hate each other, but if one of them wins the Cup, they're still a 3-4 hour drive away from each other. The Stanley Cup parade would be a 3-4 hour drive away. Yes, Boston and Montreal dislike each other, but if one of them wins the Cup, screw it, they're 6-7 hours away and across national borders, it is what it is. Detroit and Chicago sure traditionally didn't like each other but with Chicago's recent success (and Detroit's previous success), you could still assume that the Detroit fans are in Michigan and Chicago fans are in Illinois for the most part.

Geographically speaking, there's nothing like Devils-Rangers-Islanders, there just isn't. The only thing that could possibly compete one day would be if Hamilton, ON got a team (like was rumored a few years ago; or at least they were trying to), or if Buffalo AND Toronto somehow got super elite at the same time. But even then, we're talking about different countries; there's nothing like NY/NJ.

Anaheim-LA is the closest thing to what we have geographically with rivalries and fanbases intersecting. Anaheim-LA is more intense then you think though- Anaheim is only about a 30 minute drive to LA without traffic, not an hour. The allegiances for those teams cross over family/friend/coworker lines much like Devs-Rags/Isles-Rags does. So I'd argue that for Ducks fans, there's no real 'buffer'.They had misery for breakfast, lunch, and dinner when the Kings won those two Cups, just like Kings fans did when the Ducks won in 2007. Nonetheless, we do have a unique situation here, no doubt about it.

Anaheim-LA is the closest thing to what we have geographically with rivalries and fanbases intersecting. Anaheim-LA is more intense then you think though- Anaheim is only about a 30 minute drive to LA without traffic, not an hour. The allegiances for those teams cross over family/friend/coworker lines much like Devs-Rags/Isles-Rags does. So I'd argue that for Ducks fans, there's no real 'buffer'.They had misery for breakfast, lunch, and dinner when the Kings won those two Cups, just like Kings fans did when the Ducks won in 2007. Nonetheless, we do have a unique situation here, no doubt about it.

Fair enough, I can agree with that. 

The only thing I'll say further, more to NY/NJ's credit though, is that Northern New Jersey, and obviously New York City and the five boroughs are hands down the most densely populated part of the country. If it sucked to be a Ducks fan the past few years, oh man, would it suck to be over here in 2015 (with Twitter/Facebook, etc.) if the Rangers were to win; unbearable!

Although to be fair, I was only 6 in 1994 so I was too young to remember any of the backlash or celebration. I don't remember too many kids in school wearing Rangers gear though. I was 7 in 1995 and definitely remember the Cup win and a lot of kids wearing Devils gear in school the next Fall.

Fair enough, I can agree with that.

The only thing I'll say further, more to NY/NJ's credit though, is that Northern New Jersey, and obviously New York City and the five boroughs are hands down the most densely populated part of the country. If it sucked to be a Ducks fan the past few years, oh man, would it suck to be over here in 2015 (with Twitter/Facebook, etc.) if the Rangers were to win; unbearable!

Although to be fair, I was only 6 in 1994 so I was too young to remember any of the backlash or celebration. I don't remember too many kids in school wearing Rangers gear though. I was 7 in 1995 and definitely remember the Cup win and a lot of kids wearing Devils gear in school the next Fall.

I was 15 and a freshman in high school in 1994. It was brutal. Bru. Tal. Losing to them in the ECF was enough to make you want to never leave your house again. Half my school was Rags fans. I hated my life until we won it all in '95. Edited by MadDog2020

I was 15 and a freshman in high school in 1994. It was brutal. Bru. Tal. Losing to them in the ECF was enough to make you want to never leave your house again. Half my school was Rags fans. I hated my life until we won it all in '95.

Yikes, I could imagine.

Add the closeness of Philly and them eating up part of the states fans and I say we have the worse set up (or best if you like arguing) in any sport in North America. Being a Devs fan is tough, we really should be proud of the amount and ferocity of fans we have. Of course we have nothing on the soccer fans in London with at least a half-dozen teams. LGD!!!!!

Edited by John Wensink

I was going to say even with the delay in surprised how quiet the crowd is for winning the Stanley cup. I know maybe they are used to it by now but first time on home ice in about 80 years you would think that place ceiling should be on the verge of collapsing.

NBC's sound engineering was awful yet again. The director kept messing around with the volume.

Watching the scenes from the streets of Chicago and the jubilation outside the arena, I just can't imagine living and working in/near New York City if the Rangers were to win. I don't know if I could handle it, I'd probably call out sick for a week or use up all my vacation days.

Thank you Tampa Bay Lightning, we are in your debt.

People in New York city don't care about hockey or the Rangers; it wouldn't be that bad.