GDT - The End - Devils vs Leafs 7pm

RunninWithTheDevil

7 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

Couldn't disagree more. He's a leader, and he just put up a goal and two assists on one good leg. As stated above, Gionta and Ruutu can't do that. 

As great as his 3-point game was, it came against a bottom-feeder that couldn't end its season fast enough.  And I'm not asking Elias to replace Gionta and Ruutu...he's not a 4th-liner.

If Elias gets re-signed to a cheap one-year deal, I'm not going to be absolutely dead-set against it, but he's going to be 40 years old in a few days, his game is in decline, and his body is showing signs of breaking down.  Sure, everyone feels good after watching a game like last night's, and I was absolutely thrilled for Elias, impossible not to be.  I just don't think the Devils are going to get very much out of him if he's here next season.  I can definitely understand the arguments for giving him one more year though, even if I don't agree with them.

Wish I went to this one!

Palmieri and Henrique getting 30 goals is amazing in this climate. Only 29 players did it this year...very impressive.

Zacha, was much more impressive than I expected and dare I say, he looks ready for NHL duty. His defensive hockey IQ was better than I thought. Was good at anticipating plays and put his stick in good positions. He played well along the walls and was adequate at cycling. His passing was awesome, especially the ones he gave to Elias in the slot.

I said in the Prospect Thread that Wood could play on our 3rd line this season and not look out of place. I thought he was solid. His speed makes Zacha look like a god damned turtle. He's raw and needs some seasoning in Albany but he is a surefire NHLer.

Santini, aside from the big hit (which wasn't a penalty), wasn't very noticeable, which is a good for a guy playing his first game. His skating in all directions is exceptional and while he won't put up a ton of points, he wont be a McIlrath in terms of being a sluggish defensive D.

I know it was "only Toronto" but the Leafs have been a very good possession team recently and their kids have been playing great. Doesn't take away anything from what our youngsters accomplished last night.

Was so happy for Elias last night. If it's it, then he went out on a high note, what a career. I still think he can help the PP and his attitude/hockey IQ would be a great influence on the team. He and Zacha looked great together. He still had some senior moments last night and you know he'll miss games, but I don't know if I'm ready to say bye to him yet!

• Like 5

Great finish, seeing the kids for 1 game is going to make this summer painfully long..

IMHO Patty cannot come back.  Great organizations know when its time to move on from the aging stars, LL never seemed able to do that, 26 will be retired, but I really think its time to move on...

• Like 1

On 4/10/2016 at 2:06 AM, SterioDesign said:

even though we won im sure Lou deep inside was happy to see this finish. What a great final game wow.

100%. Aside from probably wanting to see a loss with the hopes of getting Auston Matthews, he's a Devil through and through and those last two minutes with the PATTY! chants and then an Elias goal must have given him shivers as much as it did for us.

I don't mind Elias coming back IF there's a spot. I guess it really depends on if we're signing a UFA

Boucher - Henrique - Palmieri

Blandisi  - Zajac - DSP

Kalinin - Zacha  - Sislo

Farnham - Josefson - Gionta

That's kind of what we have so for sure there's room to improv that roster.

Edited by SterioDesign

I don't mind Elias coming back IF there's a spot. I guess it really depends on if we're signing a UFA

Blandisi  - Zajac - DSP

Kalinin - Zacha  - Sislo

Cammalleri

On April 10, 2016 at 7:08 AM, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

As great as his 3-point game was, it came against a bottom-feeder that couldn't end its season fast enough.  And I'm not asking Elias to replace Gionta and Ruutu...he's not a 4th-liner.

If Elias gets re-signed to a cheap one-year deal, I'm not going to be absolutely dead-set against it, but he's going to be 40 years old in a few days, his game is in decline, and his body is showing signs of breaking down.  Sure, everyone feels good after watching a game like last night's, and I was absolutely thrilled for Elias, impossible not to be.  I just don't think the Devils are going to get very much out of him if he's here next season.  I can definitely understand the arguments for giving him one more year though, even if I don't agree with them.

I wasn't suggesting they give him $8 million. Not that it matters, we don't have a cap issue. 

Agree though that if there's not a spot, you don't re-sign him. I thought that goes without saying. If there's a great UFA available that will sign on in the middle of a rebuild, that'd be better. 

On April 11, 2016 at 11:39 AM, SterioDesign said:

Blandisi  - Zajac - DSP

Kalinin - Zacha  - Sislo

On April 11, 2016 at 1:46 PM, Zubie#8 said:

Cammalleri

He probably just assumed he's injured.

:)

1 hour ago, mfitz804 said:

I wasn't suggesting they give him $8 million. Not that it matters, we don't have a cap issue. 

Agree though that if there's not a spot, you don't re-sign him. I thought that goes without saying. If there's a great UFA available that will sign on in the middle of a rebuild, that'd be better. 

He probably just assumed he's injured.

:)

I think those who do want him back want it to happen on a "Why not?" discount contract...in the $1.5 - 2 million range, for one season, Havlat-style.  Everyone knows his last contract was essentially his "Thank you" deal...there was a pretty good chance that he wouldn't live up to its value, and he didn't come close, due to Elias simply succumbing to age.  Even the most ardent "bring him back, because he's Elias" crowd know he's gotta do it on a lot less annual value than he's used to. 

Obviously from a financial standpoint it's very much a "What do you have to lose?" proposition, but if he's back, then you have to plan for him being here, which is a spot that becomes "taken", only who knows how often he'll play or how productive he'll be when he does.  I guess at this point I'd rather see that spot given to someone younger with upside who's going to be here for a while, or at least have a good chance to produce.  I can't expect much from a 40-year-old, breaking-down Patrik. 

What I would love to see is for him to be here working with the young guys in some kind of coaching capacity...if that interests him.  Like I said, I absolutely think there's a place for him within the organization; I just don't think it's as an active player anymore.           

My point was it doesn't matter what you pay him if you are still going to be miles below the cap. Either there's a spot for him, in which case I say bring him back, or there isn't. Whether you pay him $1m, $2m or $7m becomes irrelevant. 

2 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

My point was it doesn't matter what you pay him if you are still going to be miles below the cap. Either there's a spot for him, in which case I say bring him back, or there isn't. Whether you pay him $1m, $2m or $7m becomes irrelevant. 

It's hardly irrelevant...it's a lot easier to take a $1 to $2 million flyer on someone like Elias than it is $3 million+.  The more you pay him, the more the whole "well we're paying him gotta play him" mentality kicks in, regardless of what the cap situation is. 

39 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

It's hardly irrelevant...it's a lot easier to take a $1 to $2 million flyer on someone like Elias than it is $3 million+.  The more you pay him, the more the whole "well we're paying him gotta play him" mentality kicks in, regardless of what the cap situation is. 

I think the higher end would be $3.5 at worst. Maybe he knows it, maybe he doesn't, but were still probably not going to be huge players this summer in free agency , I'd take that gamble to keep Elias for a single season.

2 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Playing him isn't the issue. He's still a serviceable player for third line type minutes when he's healthy. He hasn't been the way he was, but he certainly hasn't been a liability, which cannot be said for some of our other players. 

The question is, will he be hurt for another full season. 

1 minute ago, mfitz804 said:

Playing him isn't the issue. He's still a serviceable player for third line type minutes when he's healthy. He hasn't been the way he was, but he certainly hasn't been a liability, which cannot be said for some of our other players. 

The question is, will he be hurt for another full season. 

A 40-year-old player is a real wild-card (unless you're Jaromir Jagr).  He could be re-signed, be healthy and play 10 games or so, but basically be finished as an effective NHLer.  Can't rule that out. 

Besides, the Devils already have a "will he or won't he play, and for how many games" guy in Cammalleri.