2016 Devils 1st Round Pick (#12) Michael McLeod

Zubie#8

LLooking at the players drafted after McLeod I am happy with this pick. And I am with Tri, we do not have enough playmakers and players who transition into the offensive zone. That's what we are missing the most and why we have the least amount of shots.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quotes from scouts excerpted in the recently-published 2016 NHL Draft Black Book:

"More than once I've seen Dmen back off because they couldn't handle his speed, but he would close the gap on himself by skating at speed right into them . . . He needs to understand creating time and space for himself.  He gains the offensive zone with ease, but it's after he enters where he shows some weaknesses.  I think it's a case where too often his brain can't catch up with his feet.  Early this year I thought I saw signs of him making some progress but it didn't happen.  If this was my first year watching him, I'd probably have a more positive outlook on him making some progression, but I've seen the same thing for three years now.  I think he will play in the NHL, but I don't see . . . huge upside."

"Too many good to great decisions were not converted into goals.  While we do not see him as a dumb player, we do think his decision making lacks at times . . . We see McLeod as a player who doesn't get as much production out of his talent as we think he should.  His skating is high-end, he works hard, he has great size but just too many missed scoring chances and poor puck decisions."

"Our worst interview.  I don't know how a kid with that much energy on the ice can have so little energy off the ice."

"Overall the feedback scouts gave me on the combine interviews was this year might be the best [ones] ever.  That said, I had a few teams tell me McLeod's interview was either the weakest or one of them."

Edited by smelly

well i guess that all confirm or support the knock on his hockey IQ. Well wtv Clarkson scored 30 goals for us with a terrible hockey IQ so who knows. 

I may not be entirely excited by the scoring potential we got this year but im certainly excited about the speed were getting

48 minutes ago, CommonDreads said:

Has to be the most sour review on McLeod possible, seems like an anomaly to me honestly. To say he hasn't grown is bs, he doubled his production from 2015 to 2016, I don't think he gets enough credit for his hockey sense or hands, I think he can grow into a 2nd liner.

Unfortunately, this was not a single assessment. These were a compilation of separate analyses from multiple scouts. Each of the quoted observations came from an entirely different evaluator. Hopefully the apparent consensus is proven over time to have been incorrect . . .

Edited by smelly

Still rather would have taken Brown. Initially very very disappointed with this pick, but considering who was off the board by that point, its not an awful pick. I know some scouts like McLeod more than Brown so its close. Also, overall the scouting reports ive read of him have left me with a better feeling about this pick than I started out with.... who knows, we should be due a pick or two that really work out considering how many stinkers weve had.  

Very happy with the rest of our picks, and love the Bennet trade.

48 minutes ago, Jas0nMacIsaac said:

He doesn't seem all that intelligent in how he speaks. He knew absolutely nothing about the Devils which concerns me for a person looking to play in the NHL, you would think he could name someone other than Brodeur.

Some otherwise smart and successful athletes are like that.  Jeff Kent admitted to not knowing or caring about MLB growing up.  Ryan Tannehill didn't know what division the Dolphins played in until training camp, but he's very smart.

1 hour ago, Daniel said:

Some otherwise smart and successful athletes are like that.  Jeff Kent admitted to not knowing or caring about MLB growing up.  Ryan Tannehill didn't know what division the Dolphins played in until training camp, but he's very smart.

i know there are some exceptions to the rule but he also didn't interview well at all.

4 hours ago, Jas0nMacIsaac said:

i know there are some exceptions to the rule but he also didn't interview well at all.

I'm not going to say I don't care at all about the interview, but I imagine there's way too much emphasis placed on it.  I bet if you looked at off the board picks over the years the most common thing that would come back would be 'strong interview'.  Do teams ever go back and test how much the interview and their review of it matched up with a player's career?

That said there is an air of Rob Niedermayer about this player that hopefully he will quickly dispel.

11 hours ago, lazer said:

off his vid...he skates too knock kneeded gonna get lit up= top heavy

also zacha skates way too wide so could be next jagr/lemieux lol

Watching him walk back to get picks taken, McLeod is bowl legged! Where did you see he was knock knee'd! So I beg to differ

19 minutes ago, HellOnICE said:

Also for most of his life, we've not been the best team - aside from 2012 - we've been largely irrelevant - so I'm not worried he can't name more people on our roster. Now, if we still had Kovy and Zach sure.

yeah looking at our roster...

Henrique..Palmieri..Cammalleri...Zajac... Elias... Larsson... Schneider... if you really follow hockey you'll likely know those guys but if you just follow your team in general.. not really there's no big names in there

and no one knows Boucher, Zacha, DSP, Blandisi, Josefson, Severson, Greene, Merril, Schlemko, Moore...

7 minutes ago, Jas0nMacIsaac said:

Too be fair, Ken Daneyko wasn't the smartest or high skilled player. McLeod is a center, you sort of want those guys to be intelligent.

I don't really see a ton of correlation between high hockey skill (or what we would call 'smart' hockey) and intelligence (or what we would call book smarts).  

On 06/25/2016 at 8:31 AM, SMantzas said:

Floor is a good 3C, ceiling an elite 2C or low-end 1C. I specifically had this guy on my Do Not Draft List, but am coming around after reading up on him. It really boils down that NJ liked him over Logan Brown, which seems to be a minority opinion.  He is a zone entry and zone exit freak so he should really help in transition. The most common criticism is that he needs to work on his shot. I think that's the easiest thing to work on IMO

McLeod was a 57% possession player in the six games I tracked. Had 36(!) controlled entries in those games. He's a play driver.

This is huge. Our zone entries are consistently horrible.