GDT - Devils @ Bruins 10/20/16

NJDfan1711

We went into the garden and played them even for 59 mins, with a big thanks to cory Schneider .  there are times when our offensive defensemen look outmatched.. maybe zacha can switch to D LOL he looked great skating backwards on berge. talk about edgecontrol!!  the breakouts are going to be a project this year

on offense I can get into an argument again on the number of finishers we have, but right now weve been very lucky with tip ins and deflections (I forget who said this in chat). palmeri is looking ok on 5v5 but is doing absolutely zero on the left halfboards on the PP with his chances.  no one is mistaking him for kovy. ovie or giroux there.  we have a lack of one-timers at the blueline and cammy looks more like too too, a scrappy 3rd liner.   I hope palmari is not our ryan Fitzpatrick (j/k)

we just need our scorers to get hot.. cam, hall, palms, rico, and get something if anything from bouch and zacha

Edited by EdgeControl

11 hours ago, CarpathianForest said:

The loss of Larsson is bigger than we first thought. He brought a lot of poise and solid judgement. Now we just have a bunch of 7th d-men back there with Auvitu and a declining Greene

Easy boy.  It took 3 years for Larsson to get to that point.  It took 3 years of being scratched AND taking a lot of sh!t from this board.  Now all of a sudden, "He's the one that got away."  I agree the loss is probably bigger than we thought, but part of being a team is filling those holes in the lineup.  

I say leave Quincey-Lovejoy on the 3rd pairing and let Auvitu-Santini take the reins of the 2nd pair.   Let them sink or swim.  Auvitu has had great possession numbers so far through 4 games.  

1 minute ago, mfitz804 said:

Greene has not looked good over the first 3. Noticed several poorly played pucks last night. I was gonna post about it and then he made a really good play so I didn't. 

I mentioned in chat last night that he's pinching at all the correct times and creating more offense that he would typically(In say a DeBoer system).  Maybe I'm not seeing the same thing.  Last night was the first game I was able to really pay attention to.  He's a system player who plays what he knows.  

Obviously always room for improvement

Just now, RizzMB30 said:

I mentioned in chat last night that he's pinching at all the correct times and creating more offense that he would typically(In say a DeBoer system).  Maybe I'm not seeing the same thing.  Last night was the first game I was able to really pay attention to.  He's a system player who plays what he knows.  

Obviously always room for improvement

Could just be a difference in system, I suppose. He has been dreadfully out of position a few times, very unlike him, but if they have him pinching more that would explain it. 

13 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Could just be a difference in system, I suppose. He has been dreadfully out of position a few times, very unlike him, but if they have him pinching more that would explain it. 

He created a great chance with Cammy and Palms I believe on the rush.  He's definitely creating some offense.  Maybe not good enough for the possession numbers to back it up yet. 

That may explain that he'd have poor possession numbers if he is pinching and doing all the right things offensively, but some poor plays defensively could definitely explain the numbers. 

EDIT:  Looked up the current numbers for Greene and he's at a 43.9 for Corsi for.  So hopefully it improves over the next few games.  He's only a -2 through 4 games and has 6 shots.  Maybe it is his defense.

Edited by RizzMB30

Hate to say this, but not sure if Hynes is the guy for this team.  Yeah I know he is only a tiny bit over a year into this, but just don't see it happening with him.  I also do not think the Devils will win anything with Hynes as the coach.  I have been thinking for the past 3 games how the team would do if this set of players were playing a PDB system.  I honestly think they would be doing a little better.

15 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

Hate to say this, but not sure if Hynes is the guy for this team.  Yeah I know he is only a tiny bit over a year into this, but just don't see it happening with him.  I also do not think the Devils will win anything with Hynes as the coach.  I have been thinking for the past 3 games how the team would do if this set of players were playing a PDB system.  I honestly think they would be doing a little better.

Might have some merrit, however I would point out experience as a factor when comparing the two.  Real NHL experience, DeBoer simply outclasses Hynes on that alone.  PDB just took another team to the SCF.  

Hynes WAS meant to grow with the team.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, RizzMB30 said:

Might have some merrit, however I would point out experience as a factor when comparing the two.  Real NHL experience, DeBoer simply outclasses Hynes on that alone.  PDB just took another team to the SCF.  

Hynes WAS meant to grow with the team.  

True, but IDK so far this season he just seems to be outcoached at every turn.  I know he is there to cultivate the young talent, but at some point forward progress needs to be made for the team as a whole and not just individuals/rookies.

I said in chat last night I think there's some problem mentally with the team, and that's on Hynes and leadership. Any coach can get a team moving year one, but messages get stale and they have to adjust. I think that's why you see a handful of coaches that stick around forever and most others bounce around until they end up in the front office in the CHL or something. Not to say Hynes isn't a great coach, but it's time to see if he can make adjustments and move this team forward or if he's going to have blown his first chance behind an NHL bench.

I don't think cammy has been quite as bad as some are saying. Palmieri and Rico have been the biggest problems so far. I think Parenteau has even been ok. Obviously I'm as excited about what Auvitu has done as anyone else, and Severson has been making a lot of smart plays in his own zone. I'm really liking Zacha's game, too. Wouldn't mind seeing him next to Hall, if he hasn't yet. Zajac is off to a pretty solid start. I don't know, a really odd start to the year. I don't know what to make of this group.

14 hours ago, CarpathianForest said:

I never really understood the whole idea that we got the better deal in the Hall/Larsson trade. If you look at the rosters, the trade hurts us much more than Edmonton. The Oilers still have McDavid, Nugent-Hopkins, Draisatl and to a lesser extent, Eberle. Larsson was a top 2 defender from an already teetering defense. You can't make up for that hole with guys like Quincey and Lovejoy.

Devils might not be but you're already in mid season form, my friend. 

• Like 3

A DeBoer system for this group?  Ridiculous.  This forward group is all about speed and transition offense, DeBoer is about dump-ins and offense off offensive zone pressure.  I can't think of a worse fit for this group than DeBoer, other than a coach that is actually bad.  

The breakout needs work - it's either predictable or the players can't execute it, but either way the team just isn't getting the necessary speed through the neutral zone to make things happen.  When Auvitu's been on the ice that hasn't been the case.  So yeah, D who can jump into the play would be nice.  Moore has the speed to jump into the play but he lacks the smarts to do anything besides shoot when he does.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Triumph said:

A DeBoer system for this group?  Ridiculous.  This forward group is all about speed and transition offense, DeBoer is about dump-ins and offense off offensive zone pressure.  I can't think of a worse fit for this group than DeBoer, other than a coach that is actually bad.  

The breakout needs work - it's either predictable or the players can't execute it, but either way the team just isn't getting the necessary speed through the neutral zone to make things happen.  When Auvitu's been on the ice that hasn't been the case.  So yeah, D who can jump into the play would be nice.  Moore has the speed to jump into the play but he lacks the smarts to do anything besides shoot when he does.

This. So many times in the last several games they would dump it in, usually because the breakout is thwarted in the neutral zone, and then not even be able to come close to gaining possession. I'm not an expert, but it seems like they just don't win lose pucks or board battles often enough.

Tough bunch of teams to start the season with. I see Panthers and Lightning as being the class of the East this season, along with the Capitals in my opinion. Boston, a team we haven't been able to beat more than once or twice in like 4+ years, are no slouches. Anaheim was the only weak(ened) team of the bunch and we beat them (and absolutely dominated them for 2/3 of the game).

I expect at least 3 points out of the Wild and Coyotes games, those are 2 middling teams I think we should be able to truly measure ourselves up against more accurately. Then we play the Blackhawks, Lightning twice, and Panthers for another tough stretch, and finally I think we're in the clear to have what I expect to be a much easier November. The scales tip in the direction of a few groups of more winnable games, and if we're a halfway decent team like I think we are, we should find ourselves in a playoff spot when December comes around. 

3 hours ago, NJDevils1214 said:

This. So many times in the last several games they would dump it in, usually because the breakout is thwarted in the neutral zone, and then not even be able to come close to gaining possession. I'm not an expert, but it seems like they just don't win lose pucks or board battles often enough.

The trick is not to get guys that are better at recoveries or board battles, but better at breakouts/zone entries.