Radio legend Sherry Ross Fired

mikemarc1

I'm OK with Matt & Sherry.  She told the truth. When we succeed, we sucked & vice versa.

I like Dano & Cangi as well.

we haven't heard an thing about Asst coaches. are they staying?

1 hour ago, mikemarc1 said:

Yes, exactly.

lots of people who lose their jobs offer public thanks to those that have employed them for so long.

sonething must have happened. 

I wouldn't, I'd say f them for kicking my ass out the door. 

5 minutes ago, Since1982-83 said:

I don't like a women in the broadcast booth in any of the 4 major professional sports league's. Period.

I can't generalize it quite to that extent, but of the women I have heard in the booth, they've all sucked. Not saying that there isn't one that's amazing, but if so, I haven't heard her. 

43 minutes ago, Since1982-83 said:

I don't like a women in the broadcast booth in any of the 4 major professional sports league's. Period.

Don't want to go all PC on you, but this is some ignorant sh!t.  Yes, teams shouldn't be in the business of putting women in the broadcast booth for its own sake or to fill some sort of quota.  But that wasn't the case with Sherry at all, as the Devils, to my knowledge, never made a big deal of her being the whatever number female NHL play-by-play or color commentator.  She's quite knowledgable about the sport and the history of the team, did not pull punches, but at the same time wasn't rude, and she was certainly better to listen to than her broadcast partner.

Now, that said, she's not necessarily god's gift, and maybe we end up with someone better.  But I think the chances of that are less than 50/50.

Again, if it's somehow Don LaGreca all will be forgiven.

1 hour ago, Since1982-83 said:

I don't like nor enjoy woman in the broadcast booth. I would say that a good 95% of all men agree with the sentiment. No apologies.

As 95% of all men know, the power and ability to properly analyze hockey is located in the pecker. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Marshall said:

As 95% of all men know, the power and ability to properly analyze hockey is located in the pecker. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Nah, it's just the wrong fit...it's a what doesn't belong and why situation. My opinion, you disagree? I'm good with that.

Nah, it's just the wrong fit...it's a what doesn't belong and why situation. My opinion, you disagree? I'm good with that.

Do tell why women don't belong. 

Full disclosure, I didn't think she was very good. But that had nothing to do with her gender.

Edited by Marshall

1 hour ago, Marshall said:

Do tell why women don't belong. 

Full disclosure, I didn't think she was very good. But that had nothing to do with her gender.

Yeah, cause in my opinion they don't. Period.

Yeah, cause in my opinion they don't. Period.

Don't really get the chest-beating blowhard "no women" angle here.  I'm definitely NOT a PC guy, but I don't think gender really should figure into the equation...as long as the person in the booth is doing his or her job, that's all I care about.  And like Daniel alluded to, at least it wasn't like her being a woman was ever shoved down our throats.  I actually never really thought of her as anything more than a person doing Devils games on the radio.  Her gender just never impacted me on any level...it's just not something that I care about either way.  Just do your job well.     

That being said, I'm not sorry to see Sherry go, simply because I wasn't a big fan...she just never sounded natural or comfortable to me.  But agree with Tri in that she was better than Chorske and Velischek (I found Chorske to be very disappointing...I remember him analyzing a goal he'd scored in a postgame show, and back then I thought, "Man, this guy is terrific at this, he should do TV or radio after he retires!"  He definitely didn't live up to what I thought he was going to be.

And agree with others that her replacement may not be much of an improvement, man, woman, hermaphrodite, tranny, or other. 

13 hours ago, CommonDreads said:

I actually liked Sherry, but also in general I don't mind our entire broadcasting staff. You guys hate everyone.

I found that funny.  I tend to think along those lines too.  There's so much hate for Daneyko, Cangi to a lesser degree, and even Deb and Johnny Mac.  I'm not over the moon for any one of them in particular, but by no means do I hate them and I really don't let any of them affect how I watch and enjoy the game.  I think I've said this before, and maybe it's because I'm often doing other things while the game is on, but even when I'm focused solely on the laptop screen (I stream games), the play-by-play and/or commentary from anyone talking is just like anyone else you'd hear throughout normal daily conversation.  

I'm curious, do many of you guys that hate these broadcasters also walk around throughout the day, say if you were on line ordering some lunch at a restaurant, and think to yourself "Man, that cashier had an annoying voice, there needs to be someone else behind the register taking orders"? lol

21 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

I found that funny.  I tend to think along those lines too.  There's so much hate for Daneyko, Cangi to a lesser degree, and even Deb and Johnny Mac.  I'm not over the moon for any one of them in particular, but by no means do I hate them and I really don't let any of them affect how I watch and enjoy the game.  I think I've said this before, and maybe it's because I'm often doing other things while the game is on, but even when I'm focused solely on the laptop screen (I stream games), the play-by-play and/or commentary from anyone talking is just like anyone else you'd hear throughout normal daily conversation.  

I'm curious, do many of you guys that hate these broadcasters also walk around throughout the day, say if you were on line ordering some lunch at a restaurant, and think to yourself "Man, that cashier had an annoying voice, there needs to be someone else behind the register taking orders"? lol

Following Doc and Chico was going to be difficult no matter who came in...Doc was just awesome in every way, and Chico wasn't everyone's cup of tea, but was immensely likable (especially since he had such a great relationship with the fans), in that "OK, sometimes he's a bit goofy and screwy, but he's OUR goofy and screwy" kind of way...and course, plenty of winning in their time. 

And it's been mentioned before, but lots o' losing = even more focus on other stuff that people wouldn't pay as much attention to otherwise (broadcasters, overall arena experience, etc).  I don't "hate" any of the above either, and can't say I'd actively crusade to have any of them removed.  As a guy who grew up watching Dano and Mac from their early days, I'd like to see them be better at their jobs than they are, simply because I always liked them so much as players...Dano's voice just isn't suited to extended hearing, and with Mac, he's just not terribly articulate (and lots of "ya knows")...and I think the "optimism/looking for silver linings to a fault" vibe that Dano and Mac often put out there just got to be aggravating to a lot of fans.  I'm kind of indifferent to Cangi and Deb...they're just kind of there to me.  Agree with you in that they don't come close to ruining the gameday experience for me...the guys wearing red and black on the ice do a far better job of that. 

I like Sherry. The fact that she is a woman...easy to listen to voice (why do you think telephone operators were exclusively women in the early days) and knowledgeable about the team. Give me Sherry Ross any day over Daneyko's gravel gargling.

Though the one thing Dano does give you, the man was in the league for 20+ years. So lots of insight on players past and present and stories. That's why I prefer NHL lifers in the PBP booth. Unfortunately with Dano his voice is intolerable. 

I actually said this in one of the FB groups yesterday regarding Sherry:

Sherry the color announcer was not good.  Sherry the hockey analyst was very good.  I never really cared for her as the color announcer for radio back in her first stint (have faint memories of it) and her current one.  She wasn't the worst I have heard, but she didn't really add anything.  My biggest issue was her often times being Captain Obvious when giving her assessment of the play as it was happening.  She didn't add any insight and her monotone-ish voice didn't help things either.  However, in the post-game show she seemed to be a different person.  She often gave very frank and very accurate assessments of where the team is and what they should do going forward.  Many times I would listen to her in the car and wish out loud that she would be that way during the actual game instead of saving it till later.

A big issue it seems that most Devils fans against her was her being a bit of a Debbie Downer and was sometimes too critical of the team.  I actually thought she was more realistic and a nice contrast from the constant cheerleading from Daneyko and to an extent Mac.

A little weird that she got he ax and not Matt.  If I had a choice to keep one of them, I would have kept Sherry over Matt.  Matt is terrible and always seems to be a solid 3-5 seconds behind the play.  That coupled with his seeming refusal to tell the time and score no more than twice a period is beyond frustrating.  Both are great people in person (have met both of them several times), but I think we could do a little better.

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Following Doc and Chico was going to be difficult no matter who came in...Doc was just awesome in every way, and Chico wasn't everyone's cup of tea, but was immensely likable (especially since he had such a great relationship with the fans), in that "OK, sometimes he's a bit goofy and screwy, but he's OUR goofy and screwy" kind of way...and course, plenty of winning in their time. 

And it's been mentioned before, but lots o' losing = even more focus on other stuff that people wouldn't pay as much attention to otherwise (broadcasters, overall arena experience, etc).  I don't "hate" any of the above either, and can't say I'd actively crusade to have any of them removed.  As a guy who grew up watching Dano and Mac from their early days, I'd like to see them be better at their jobs than they are, simply because I always liked them so much as players...Dano's voice just isn't suited to extended hearing, and with Mac, he's just not terribly articulate (and lots of "ya knows")...and I think the "optimism/looking for silver linings to a fault" vibe that Dano and Mac often put out there just got to be aggravating to a lot of fans.  I'm kind of indifferent to Cangi and Deb...they're just kind of there to me.  Agree with you in that they don't come close to ruining the gameday experience for me...the guys wearing red and black on the ice do a far better job of that. 

Yeah for sure, those are definitely big shoes to fill.  And you're right, having a few consecutive poor years with not much to cheer about probably does highlight some things that otherwise wouldn't get much attention.  I'm sorta with you in that I liked Dano and Maclean a lot when they played, but rather than be hard on them for their skills as broadcasters because of that, I actually think I tend to give them more rope and leeway because of it.  They were key pieces to the team for a long time, so even if they suck at their jobs as commentators and reporters, I think I'm willing to give them a pass because of what they meant to us on the ice, and not so much what they mean to us now that they're in suits.