Olympic Hockey

EdgeControl

Yes there is really no interest in it at all. Stands are empty, the quality of play is 3rd rate. Really without NHL players they should've just cancelled Olympic hockey this year. After watching the skill lever of the pro's since 1998, there is really no way to go back.

• Like 2

On ‎2‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 9:00 AM, NJDfan1711 said:

Yeah I was thinking the same thing.  It's definitely stupid to acknowledge him, but I'm sure he did it because he must own property here still.

Murphy pulled his list of NJ athletes straight from the Star Ledger article about it that ran on the first day of the Olympics.  It was an article about Olympians with TIES to NJ, but didn't say they were FROM NJ.  He (or likely his staff Twitter guy) didn't read the article closely enough.

I've never held a ton of ill will towards Kovy even though he f'd us by leaving when he did.  In the end, it turned out to be a blessing in disguise because the contract was a mess.  But seeing him celebrate scoring 2 goals against a team of beer leaguers out of Hackensack makes me wish he got hit in the head with an airplane like MartyistheBest said.   :rofl:

Edited by Chuck the Duck
  • Like 2

30 minutes ago, thecoffeecake said:

Are you fvcking kidding me. I'm so fvcking tired of coming up empty in every senior competition. fvck this. 

The NHL better go in 2022, because USA is going to be absolutely stacked. Team will probably include Eichel, Matthews, Jack Hughes, Gaudreau, Boeser, Gostisbehere, Werenski, Jones, Murray, and tons of others. USA should be a legit superpower, it just sucks we always end up sending 2nd rate teams compared to what we're capable of.

17 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

No need to get upset over a glorified beer league tournament.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

59 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Really good read: http://deadsp.in/kf4vUa8

So... let me get this straight and recap the last 2 comments haha... When the Americans lose in a glorified beer league tournament... it's kind of downplayed and there's no need to be upset about it... But when they win a glorified beer league tournament... there's a movie made about it and it's still talked about decades later.

I mean... i truly don't mind either angles but i feel in general you gotta pick one? haha

also i do agree it was a great read, thanks for posting

Edited by SterioDesign

So... let me get this straight and recap the last 2 comments haha... When the Americans lose in a glorified beer league tournament... it's kind of downplayed and there's no need to be upset about it... But when they win a glorified beer league tournament... there's a movie made about it and it's still talked about decades later.
I mean... i truly don't mind either angles but i feel you gotta pick one? haha

Different time in the world back in the day. Pros never competed in the Olympics, save the Russians who, as we know, were pros without the official designation. Now that we've actually had NHL players going to the Olympics for 16 years before this one, I think it's safe to say that we've become used to Olympic hockey being on another level, truly best-on-best. Therefore, when you take a step back and basically have mostly dudes who can't hack it in the NHL anymore if they ever could to begin with, it becomes a glorified beer league tournament. I know you're going to disagree, but you asked for my reasoning, and that's how I look at it.

1 minute ago, MadDog2020 said:

Different time in the world back in the day. Pros never competed in the Olympics, save the Russians who, as we know, were pros without the official designation. Now that we've actually had NHL players going to the Olympics for 16 years before this one, I think it's safe to say that we've become used to Olympic hockey being on another level, truly best-on-best. Therefore, when you take a step back and basically have mostly dudes who can't hack it in the NHL anymore if they ever could to begin with, it becomes a glorified beer league tournament. I know you're going to disagree, but you asked for my reasoning, and that's how I look at it.

ah well i agree with you on that angle of course. But we can't deny that winning it back then or now... when it comes to... what it required and what level of play it was.... it's the same thing. That's what i meant.

• Like 1

ah well i agree with you on that angle of course. But we can't deny that winning it back then or now... when it comes to... what it required and what level of play it was.... it's the same thing. That's what i meant.

Yeah pretty much.... Just much different circumstances with regards to how the Olympics worked back then.

2 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Yeah pretty much.... Just much different circumstances with regards to how the Olympics worked back then.

I still get what you're saying. Cause to me winning the Stanley Cup now... is a way bigger achievement than winning it in the 50s for example. Back then you had like 6 teams with players from the US and Canada... split in 2 different leagues really, no cap... and no draft so. It's not like now where the NHL has 30+ teams, parity and has all the best players from all over the worlds

I still get what you're saying. Cause to me winning the Stanley Cup now... is a way bigger achievement than winning it in the 50s for example. Back then you had like 6 teams with players from the US and Canada... split in 2 different leagues really, no cap... and no draft so. It's not like now where the NHL has 30+ teams, parity and has all the best players from all over the worlds

Exactly- there's a reason Montreal has 24 Cups.... They had territorial rights to every player from Quebec and there were six teams until 1967. Not hard to win with that setup lol. It also makes it even more hilarious that the Rangers have managed to win one (ONE!!!! [emoji23][emoji23]) Cup in 78 years.

1 minute ago, MadDog2020 said:

Exactly- there's a reason Montreal has 24 Cups.... They had territorial rights to every player from Quebec and there were six teams until 1967. Not hard to win with that setup lol. It also makes it even more hilarious that the Rangers have managed to win one (ONE!!!! emoji23.pngemoji23.png) Cup in 78 years.

yup lol i obviously had that argument countless times with Habs fans around here lol 

i mean... the setup back then is exactly like if... Pittsburgh had no cap to deal with... and every year they could just offer a contract to any young prospect they want... McDavid... Matthews... Hischier... etc etc lol 

38 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

Heading to OT, I want the USA women to win and I've been rooting hard for them and watching all the games but this whole tournament has been some really, really bad hockey. 

Watching the OT was awful. At least 50% of the passes were off target on both sides, PK positioning was horrible. Going to a SO now.

7 hours ago, Martyisth3b3st said:

Comparing a group of NHL has-beens losing to a scrub Czech team to a group of college kids beating a grown-men well oiled machine team of hockey superstars (who had just beaten the NHL All-Stars in a competition the year prior) is fvcking enormous. That difference is ridiculous even for SD.

Who did that exactly? The comparison was about the settings and values of the tournament itself. And not the outcome itself but the value of the outcome

@DevilMinder Just want to say how much I still love this forum lol.... I got a bunch of warnings over on hf boards cause I posted the cartman picture and a mod deleted it so I had posted "hahaha I guess one of the Canadian mods can't take a joke, can't even post a picture of Cartman licking tears, be more salty"... Apparently the mod was a wuss San Jose Sharks fan lol

fvck that guy and fvck Canada. I'm still so excited for the women. What a game! 

• Like 3