2018-19 Around the League Thread

jagknife

It will be interesting to see what will happen to the Oilers now.  They seem to have finally found a guy who has a pretty lengthy history of success to lead their organization.  However, it seems that he will be under more pressure that he was in Detroit where year's of success has pretty much drained their pipeline.

1 hour ago, DevsMan84 said:

It will be interesting to see what will happen to the Oilers now.  They seem to have finally found a guy who has a pretty lengthy history of success to lead their organization.  However, it seems that he will be under more pressure that he was in Detroit where year's of success has pretty much drained their pipeline.

I guess you could look at it a couple ways.  On the one hand it's pretty clear and most people should understand exactly what you said - that Detroit had so much success for a long time that they were due to have some bare cupboards eventually - similar to us - but on the other hand, that still sort of puts pressure on the new GM to try to duplicate the same success and length of consistency - something he obviously wasn't able to do.  

Likewise, you'd think in Edmonton expectations would be low considering how bad the team has been, but you could make the argument that they're somewhat high - since Edmonton actually has some talent and Holland won't be in a situation like he was in Detroit where he had a team and organization void of much talent.

I tend to think the latter on both, but I could still see people viewing it the other way too.

37 minutes ago, MB3 said:

Clickbait-y title, but I get hot and sweaty thinking about a Lundqvist-led team beating the Rangers en route to a Stanley Cup. Unfortunately for Hank and fortunately for us, neither the Rangers nor Lundqvist are good enough for another crack at that thing in his career. 

My best bud on the planet is a Rangers fan (we actually have a respectful rivalry), and though Ranger fans usually have big-time blinders on, my bud readily admits that Lundqvist is clearly past his prime, and that he wouldn't mind seeing him dealt. 

Kind of a rough 7-year contract...the Rags basically got two years of in-his-prime Lundqvist, and will have gotten less than for the final five years.  Not that much of a surprise considering that they were buying his age 32-38 years I guess, but not great when you're stuck with a clearly declining player for two more years at a still-large cap hit. 

47 minutes ago, MB3 said:

He's got an NMC. With the impending expansion draft coming up, that plays a huge factor. It would be shocking if a team traded for him. Genuinely shocking. 

It would have to be a team that’s pretty much a goalie away, obviously.... maybe a team like Carolina would be interested if they don’t win the Cup this year. 

30 minutes ago, MB3 said:

The point you’re missing is that Lundqvist is league average, deteriorating quickly, and Carolina is a team that’s already screwed when it comes to the expansion draft. 

Yeah the reason I mentioned them too is their owner is kind of an idiot, maybe he’d be hypnotized by the big name. Highly doubtful though, I know. 

Edited by MadDog2020

9 minutes ago, MB3 said:

Weird analogy considering Brodeur joined the blues before he retired? Or was that just a very desperate attempt to land an adultery joke?

Blues? I don’t remember that. Most of us don’t. 

I was thinking more of his having been the goalie/face of the franchise for like 20 years. 

The desperation was the “no Cups” part, the adultery was a throw away at the end. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, Nicomo said:

So the Flyers traded for the rights to negotiate with Kevin Hayes. They’re obviously not hopeful for Patrick as a top 2 C. Thank the old gods and the new we took Nico. 

AV probably had input into that move. (he played for him) 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Nicomo said:

So the Flyers traded for the rights to negotiate with Kevin Hayes. They’re obviously not hopeful for Patrick as a top 2 C. Thank the old gods and the new we took Nico. 

Its very very early but wow does it look like Ray and company made a great decision there. And shows why im posting on a message board and not involved in the sport since I was all for Patrick that year haha

• Like 1

Just now, Devil Dan 56 said:

Its very very early but wow does it look like Ray and company made a great decision there. And shows why im posting on a message board and not involved in the sport since I was all for Patrick that year haha

Yeah I was 60/40 for Patrick vs Hischier at the time.  Glad I was wrong too.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

Yeah I was 60/40 for Patrick vs Hischier at the time.  Glad I was wrong too.

i was 100% for Shero to pick Hischier but i was also 100% for Stolz to pick Lea Thompson in Some Kind of Wonderful. 

You can't always get what you want i guess.

20 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

i was 100% for Shero to pick Hischier but i was also 100% for Stolz to pick Lea Thompson in Some Kind of Wonderful. 

You can't always get what you want i guess.

C'mon we all knew Stolz would end up with Mary Stuart Masterson.  I mean Hughes already had the main female character end up with the jock/popular boy in 16 Candles and Pretty in Pink so we all knew he couldn't go 3 for 3 in that direction.

1 hour ago, DevsMan84 said:

C'mon we all knew Stolz would end up with Mary Stuart Masterson.  I mean Hughes already had the main female character end up with the jock/popular boy in 16 Candles and Pretty in Pink so we all knew he couldn't go 3 for 3 in that direction.

I DON' CARE ABOUT YOUR OPINION I WANTED LEA THOMPSON!

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

She only wants guys who turn out to be her future son.  Stolz never had a chance (well he did since he was the original Marty.  Go figure).

Spoiler alert.. how about a warning next time.

• Haha 1