GDT: Road Trip from Hell, Part 7 - Devils @ Jets

jagknife

1 minute ago, Kinkyisth3b3st said:

I don’t want Hynes fired yet, but I’d be lying if I wasn’t looking at Coach Quenneville the way I look at hot girls on Instagram when my wife and I are in a fight. 

it's over. the party is over.  I told you all so and I am sorry to say it.  Sorry.  Not so sorry kids.  It's over. 

1 hour ago, slasher72 said:

And while Zacha is struggling to find his offensive game in the AHL, Barzal has become...well, you know the rest. I wish someone could have punched Conte in the stomach for that draft blunder.

Conte deserved to be punched in the stomach long before drafting Zacha

• Like 1

I say let Shero try to make a couple of moves before getting rid of Hynes. I loves Hynes’ system and personally I’d hate to see another defensive minded coach back in NJ. IMO everyone but Hall, Palm, Nico, Butcher, Wood (just because of his energy and grit), and Coleman should be available. See if we can get Nylander somehow.

Edited by Jerzey

So, clearly this was indeed the road trip from hell.  Looking at it before it started, we knew it was going to be tough.  Real tough.  Of all the games we played though, the only ones we really would have wanted to have back was the Red Wings game, and probably the Senators game, but the Sens just beat a strong Tampa team two days ago, in almost the same exact fashion they beat us (Sens up 2 early, Bolts score 4 straight, Sens 4 more of their own).   Trying to look at the glass half full, we lost to the Islanders who were playing hot, the Leafs, one of the best teams in the league, the Jets, one of the best teams in the league, and the Lightning, one of the best teams in the league.  On. The. Road.   

The issue on this road trip was very clearly and definitively defense, and defense alone.  We only got shut out one game, and it was a game where nothing went right and the lines were juggled a bit with some guys out due to injuries.  Other than that, we found the back of the net more than once in every other game.  Goaltending wasn't great, but we have done basically nothing at all to help them.  Either of them.  

If I am Shero, I do not fire Hynes now, or for the rest of the season.  He deserves a shot to turn this team around through the end of the regular season and see if he can rally the troops into the playoffs again.  Shero still needs to do work and look to improve this team, but when healthy, we can compete.  We know that.  If I am Hynes, I focus nearly the entire week of practices on defense.  Our top 4 I believe are good and capable defenders, they just need to be finely tuned and polished.  Vatanen, Severson, Butcher, and either Mueller/Yakolev.  Greene and Lovejoy are what they are and one or both of them will be gone in a year or two.  I'd really like to see Mueller in and Lovejoy out, but I doubt that happens.   This team, all 21 guys - yes the defense, forwards, AND goalies - need to focus on being responsible with the puck in their own zone and making the right play up the ice to start an attack.  I have seen too many turnovers, failed clearing attempts, indecisiveness, and a lack of urgency when we're behind our own blue line.  It starts with the goalies.  We don't have the luxury of a Brodeur anymore, but our goalies need to be better at handling the puck, steering rebounds aside, or setting up your defenseman and forwards with a play to help them get out of the zone.  On defense, we need better breakouts, some set plays to get into the neutral zone and dump the puck into their end.  The forwards need to back check and help out when the other team has the puck.  I haven't seen nearly enough of this.  It's X's and O's type stuff, but it's needed, pretty badly.  

I like the chemistry I saw tonight with the lines mixed up and I think it keeps us balanced.  I keep them that way for another game and see how they do tomorrow.  I start Kinkaid tomorrow because he beat the Pens last week and should have confidence.  Hopefully being back in front of the home crowd rejuvenates this team a bit. All hope is not lost, we just got punched in the fvcking stomach and got the wind knocked out of us. It happens. Now get up, and start doing some punching yourself. 

There's your Monday optimism for you.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, slasher72 said:

"Quenneville is not interested in taking over a team that is in the midst of or considering a rebuild"

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/joel-quenneville-ready-willing-coach-early-season/

I could see that - guy is kinda getting up there in age and probably wants a stable team that will have a strong shot at the playoffs and a deep run.  Problem is teams like that usually have coaches firmly cemented in their team's plans.  

I've always liked Coach Q, but I'm not sure he's the coach for us, at least not right now.  I still like and believe in Hynes.  He's young, and I wouldn't mind seeing him here for a long time.

I really don't think NJ can pony up what's necessary to get Quenneville. I don't know how long Hynes' extension was, but I assume it's this season and possibly next. You'd be paying Quenneville in the neighbourhood of 4 million (assuming a little paycut from his current deal) + Hynes' salary until he finds a new gig. I don't see NJ being a part of that.

Think Hynes is only signed through the end of this year...his original deal was for three seasons, and the Devils extended him.  Technically he's a lame duck at the moment.

I'm rooting for him to pull through this...it's sometimes too easy and convenient to just blame the coach when things aren't going well...not implying Hynes is completely blameless, but I want to see how the next couple of weeks go. 

Wow, fire Hynes chants ringing from the rafters.  I think our entire fw group was intimidated by Jets' D. You think they're going in front of that net?

After the 1st 4 games, Hynes was fine and dandy. Go on a bad run, fire his ass. Let's catch our breath, calm down. New asst. coaches! I just hope nothing serious with Nico.

24 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Think Hynes is only signed through the end of this year...his original deal was for three seasons, and the Devils extended him.  Technically he's a lame duck at the moment.

I'm rooting for him to pull through this...it's sometimes too easy and convenient to just blame the coach when things aren't going well...not implying Hynes is completely blameless, but I want to see how the next couple of weeks go. 

Again, it’s not even the losing that concerns me, it’s the way they’re losing. The effort just isn’t there. Every night 5,6,7 goals against.... I never had any delusions that this was a Stanley Cup contender or anything this year, but they aren’t competing and obviously it’s on the players to be self-starters, but whatever message Hynes is trying to send doesn’t appear to be getting through. That’s why I’m starting to get concerned with the coach. They aren’t listening. When that starts to happen....

• Like 2

1 minute ago, MadDog2020 said:

Again, it’s not even the losing that concerns me, it’s the way they’re losing. The effort just isn’t there. Every night 5,6,7 goals against.... I never had any delusions that this was a Stanley Cup contender or anything this year, but they aren’t competing and obviously it’s on the players to be self-starters, but whatever message Hynes is trying to send doesn’t appear to be getting through. That’s why I’m starting to get concerned with the coach. They aren’t listening. When that starts to happen....

I'm with you, it's been as ugly as it gets...at no time when the Devils were going through their funk last season did they ever look THIS bad.  This is down-the-stretch 2017 bad.  Hideous and then some. 

I still think part of the problem stemmed from not having some home practices when the Devils really needed them.  They now have two weeks where they don't really travel much at all...to Philly (a bus ride), and Carolina...four more games will be played at home.  I think (HOPE) that these two weeks that will almost feel like a homestand will allow the Devils to work on a LOT.  I think this team is much better than what it showed on that road trip. 

Of course, we don't know Nico's situation yet.  I shudder to think that he could be out for a while.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, vadvlfan said:

Wow, fire Hynes chants ringing from the rafters.  I think our entire fw group was intimidated by Jets' D. You think they're going in front of that net?

After the 1st 4 games, Hynes was fine and dandy. Go on a bad run, fire his ass. Let's catch our breath, calm down. New asst. coaches! I just hope nothing serious with Nico.

If you’re happy with the effort they’ve put out in these blow outs, you’ve got a much higher tolerance than I do.

if they had gotten steamrolled but actually put forth 60 minutes of effort, then fine, they’re just catching bad breaks. But this team isn’t. They’re sitting back, feeling sorry for themselves and mailing games in. 2 of 14 points is completely unacceptable for a team with playoff aspirations. 

EDIT: For the record, I don’t think Hynes should be fires, just yet, but his seat should absolutely be warm after the start to this season. You can’t preach playoffs and then get absolutely smoked multiple times in under 2 months. Like CR said, they never got embarrassed this bad, this often, last year.

Edited by jagknife
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I'm with you, it's been as ugly as it gets...at no time when the Devils were going through their funk last season did they ever look THIS bad.  This is down-the-stretch 2017 bad.  Hideous and then some. 

I still think part of the problem stemmed from not having some home practices when the Devils really needed them.  They now have two weeks where they don't really travel much at all...to Philly (a bus ride), and Carolina...four more games will be played at home.  I think (HOPE) that these two weeks that will almost feel like a homestand will allow the Devils to work on a LOT.  I think this team is much better than what it showed on that road trip. 

Of course, we don't know Nico's situation yet.  I shudder to think that he could be out for a while.

This quasi homestand makes or breaks this team. 8 points is a must and if not then heads have to roll, regardless of position (coaches or players).

38 minutes ago, vadvlfan said:

Except most people aren't really saying Hynes should be fired (outside of perma-clown Peluso).  It's been discussed...people are wondering what Shero will do if this continues (and as has been mentioned, the fact that an obvious HC replacement candidate is out there makes fans speculate about how warm the coach's seat might be getting).  Wondering about Hynes does NOT equal "fvck him, get him outta here!" 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Marshall said:

I really don't think NJ can pony up what's necessary to get Quenneville. I don't know how long Hynes' extension was, but I assume it's this season and possibly next. You'd be paying Quenneville in the neighbourhood of 4 million (assuming a little paycut from his current deal) + Hynes' salary until he finds a new gig. I don't see NJ being a part of that.

I don't really want Quenneville coaching this team.  He's a guy who rides his vets hard.  Part of his problems in Chicago stemmed from the fact that he was often reluctant to play young players and that's all they were giving him from the front office.

1 minute ago, Triumph said:

I don't really want Quenneville coaching this team.  He's a guy who rides his vets hard.  Part of his problems in Chicago stemmed from the fact that he was often reluctant to play young players and that's all they were giving him from the front office.

Bowman also did trade away a handful of his favored players without so much as a heads up deals were being made. Hjalmersson and Panarin being two prime examples.

Just now, jagknife said:

This quasi homestand makes or breaks this team. 8 points is a must and if not then heads have to roll, regardless of position (coaches or players).

I'll settle for six if this team is showing clear signs of settling down and tightening up.  Unfortunately if Cory can't regain his form, things really look bleak.  I think all things considered, KK has really stepped up as much as he possibly could have since last season, but I don't know how much more can be asked of him.  That means who do the Devils have that can approximate the pre-winless Cory from last year?  He was terrific through late December (28 games)...right now it feels like we'll never see that guy again.  His save% in his last 17 regular season appearances is about .860.  It's really hard to fathom.  It's almost like a control pitcher who suddenly can't the find the plate. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I'll settle for six if this team is showing clear signs of settling down and tightening up.  Unfortunately if Cory can't regain his form, things really look bleak.  I think all things considered, KK has really stepped up as much as he possibly could have since last season, but I don't know how much more can be asked of him.  That means who do the Devils have that can approximate the pre-winless Cory from last year?  He was terrific through late December (28 games)...right now it feels like we'll never see that guy again.  His save% in his last 17 regular season appearances is about .860.  It's really hard to fathom.  It's almost like a control pitcher who suddenly can't the find the plate. 

He’s the Rick Ankiel of goaltenders. It’s brutal to think of much of a sure thing, for the most part, he was when we sucked. But now that we’re winning more often and can really use that old Cory, he’s an absolute headcase and is anything but consistent.

3 minutes ago, jagknife said:

He’s the Rick Ankiel of goaltenders. It’s brutal to think of much of a sure thing, for the most part, he was when we sucked. But now that we’re winning more often and can really use that old Cory, he’s an absolute headcase and is anything but consistent.

I think it's weird to describe him as a headcase when he had hip surgery and spent 6 months recovering from that (and may never be fully recovered, of course).  

18 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

As part of his 7 year, $42 mil guaranteed contract, Cory will earn $6 mil per season from now until 2022. That's 4 more years of paying a goalie top dollar who gives up at least 4 goals a game.

Oy vey... 

Edited by slasher72
  • Angry 1