2019 NHL Draft Thread

CommonDreads

2 hours ago, Nicomo said:

Man, the hate some of you have for NYC is so strange to me. I despise the Rags as much as anyone, but the city itself? I’ve immensely enjoyed it every time I’ve gone there. Maybe it’s because I’m an outsider to the area, but it being some 70’s era Taxi Driver like sh!thole has not been my experience at all.

The whole thing is incredibly stupid, and when people on this board complain about it or talk about it smelling like pee, I assume it’s based on some movie portrayal and they haven’t actually been to NYC, or at least not in a couple decades. 

4 hours ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

It has nothing to do with whatever Ranger bias thing you think it does. Much like CR76, I loved the city when I was younger but these days I just find going there a huge and expensive hassle. I know a lot of people in the Jersey area still like it but it's just not my thing. Once you sit across from some guy smacking his fun parts around on the subway, the city loses some charm. 

i didnt think it had anything Rangers bias about it. I can just see how people living around "the best city in America / One of the best city in the world". And constantly getting shoved down their throat how great it is and getting all the attention can grow old and rub some people the wrong way.

6 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

i didnt think it had anything Rangers bias about it. I can just see how people living around "the best city in America / One of the best city in the world". And constantly getting shoved down their throat how great it is and getting all the attention can grow old and rub some people the wrong way.

You realize, of course, that’s the exact same thing that happens with the Rangers, don’t you?

The constant blathering of the fans and media about how great they are, and all of the free agents and players wanting to play there because of how great it is, etc...

1 minute ago, mfitz804 said:

You realize, of course, that’s the exact same thing that happens with the Rangers, don’t you?

The constant blathering of the fans and media about how great they are, and all of the free agents and players wanting to play there because of how great it is, etc...

and you realize, of course it's the same thing that happens with the habs, don't you?

The rangers are not 100+ years old and they don't have 24 cups. You can thank the lord for that cause i'm the one having to deal with that entitlement up here lol

Edited by SterioDesign

and you realize, of course it's the same thing that happens with the habs, don't you?

The rangers are not 100+ years old and they don't have 24 cups. You can thank the lord for that cause i'm the one having to deal with that entitlement up here lol

Who gives a fvck about the Habs on a Devils message board?

;) 

4 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

Hey common sense doesn't always apply in life. 

Like when our crowd is chanting Rangers Sucks when we're playing another team... *facepalm* 

The fact that we aren’t playing them doesn’t mean they don’t suck.

Does terrorism only suck during an attack? No, no it does not. 

We’re just chanting a fact. 

:) 

Edited by mfitz804

3 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

The fact that we aren’t playing them doesn’t mean they don’t suck.

Does terrorism only suck during an attack? No, no it does not. 

We’re just chanting a fact. 

:) 

Yeah go and constantly talk about the sh!tty things your ex girfriend did to your wife/gf like.... constantly even when it's not on subject at all and tell me how that goes lol 

even if it's a fact....... there's a time and place

Edited by SterioDesign

14 hours ago, MB3 said:

Your analogies are absolutely terrible, dude. How are our opponents considered our wives/gfs in this situation? 

Yeah that makes no sense. I’m pretty sure the Islanders don’t give a sh!t if we say the Rangers suck.

In actuality, it’s more like hanging out with your boys and talking about your ex, which is always acceptable even if she isn’t there. Which supports my position, the Rangers and your ex both suck whether they are there or not. 

Edited by mfitz804

I like NYC.  I think it is a fun city and there are always a ton of things to do there.

I do also think NYC is slightly overrated.  I did like NYC more when I was in my 20's as well but these days it is just a hassle as well as relatively expensive to even get there.  My wife absolutely loves NYC but these days I am kind of meh towards it.  It definitely is better than Philly which I find to be boring after about an hour or so and I find people there to be more unfriendly than NYC.

The one thing I will say is that while I find most NY'ers to be friendly in general, let's not kid ourselves and think that they don't sh!t on NJ any chance they get.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, SterioDesign said:

The bolded:  but they act they like do.  The organization and their fanbase truly believe that they are the NHL equivalent of the Yankees, simply by virtue of playing in NYC (and more on that below, as to how players help to feed into that).  There's nothing quite like it...the Rangers are literally the ONLY franchise and fanbase in this area that carries themselves in such a way.  I'm a Met fan, and if you look at it on paper, the Rangers are FAR closer to being the Mets than they could ever possibly dream of being to the Yankees.  But one thing you won't see is Mets fans acting like their franchise isn't a complete joke.  Those of us who are insane enough to follow them KNOW it is. 

As far as being completely oblivious to reality goes, the only other NY franchise that I think comes close at the moment is the Knicks...and it's only the franchise, really.  Their fans know the deal and don't act like they have this incredibly rich history chock full of successful traditions.  The Knick franchise is FINALLY realizing that simply playing in NYC isn't necessarily enough on its own to entice big names...so maybe they start to wake up, though I can't imagine James Dolan ever finding a clue about anything.  The Mets have been in this same boat for years (rotten owners are always a killer), but they keep doing enough to sabotage themselves that they may NEVER find a way to cash in on the whole NY sex appeal thing, without doing a whole lot of winning first.  The Mets' image as a collection of meddling dysfunctional buffoons is more firmly ingrained now more than it's ever been...maybe even more than it was in the late 70s-early 80s. 

The truly baffling thing about the Rangers is that they are kind of like the Yankees in one way and one way only...the Yanks could be terrible for 10 straight years, but there will ALWAYS be bigger-name players who will sign there in a heartbeat...but I GET that.  The Yankees earned their legacy through many years of real tradition and success.  They've built their brand through generation after generation of a hell of a lot of winning.

Why the fvcking RANGERS of all teams seem to get this same respect from players who can't wait to sign there no matter how pedestrian the track record...that I admit fvcking baffles me to no end. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

The bolded:  but they act they like do.  The organization and their fanbase truly believe that they are the NHL equivalent of the Yankees, simply by virtue of playing in NYC (and more on that below, as to how players help to feed into that).  There's nothing quite like it...the Rangers are literally the ONLY franchise and fanbase in this area that carries themselves in such a way.  I'm a Met fan, and if you look at it on paper, the Rangers are FAR closer to being the Mets than they could ever possibly dream of being to the Yankees.  But one thing you won't see is Mets fans acting like their franchise isn't a complete joke.  Those of us who are insane enough to follow them KNOW it is. 

As far as being completely oblivious to reality goes, the only other NY franchise that I think comes close at the moment is the Knicks...and it's only the franchise, really.  Their fans know the deal and don't act like they have this incredibly rich history chock full of successful traditions.  The Knick franchise is FINALLY realizing that simply playing in NYC isn't necessarily enough on its own to entice big names...so maybe they start to wake up, though I can't imagine James Dolan ever finding a clue about anything.  The Mets have been in this same boat for years (rotten owners are always a killer), but they keep doing enough to sabotage themselves that they may NEVER find a way to cash in on the whole NY sex appeal thing, without doing a whole lot of winning first.  The Mets' image as a collection of meddling dysfunctional buffoons is more firmly ingrained now more than it's ever been...maybe even more than it was in the late 70s-early 80s. 

The truly baffling thing about the Rangers is that they are kind of like the Yankees in one way and one way only...the Yanks could be terrible for 10 straight years, but there will ALWAYS be bigger-name players who will sign there in a heartbeat...but I GET that.  The Yankees earned their legacy through many years of real tradition and success.  They've built their brand through generation after generation of a hell of a lot of winning.

Why the fvcking RANGERS of all teams seem to get this same respect from players who can't wait to sign there no matter how pedestrian the track record...that I admit fvcking baffles me to no end. 

Players want to sign with the Rangers because they're in New York City and the team throws around a lot of money.  It has the added the bonus that you get the benefits of playing and living in NYC without the downside of constant media attention.  When the Rangers really suck, the local media just loses interest, whereas the Knicks and Mets sucking will be back page news in and of itself. 

And to my knowledge, the Canadiens (or any other franchise that I can think of) don't retire numbers of players that last played with the organization more than 40 years earlier. 

1 hour ago, DevsMan84 said:

I like NYC.  I think it is a fun city and there are always a ton of things to do there.

I do also think NYC is slightly overrated.  I did like NYC more when I was in my 20's as well but these days it is just a hassle as well as relatively expensive to even get there.  My wife absolutely loves NYC but these days I am kind of meh towards it.  It definitely is better than Philly which I find to be boring after about an hour or so and I find people there to be more unfriendly than NYC.

The one thing I will say is that while I find most NY'ers to be friendly in general, let's not kid ourselves and think that they don't sh!t on NJ any chance they get.

Well when you gotta go, you gotta go. 

14 hours ago, MB3 said:

Your analogies are absolutely terrible, dude. How are our opponents considered our wives/gfs in this situation? 

13 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

Yeah that makes no sense. I’m pretty sure the Islanders don’t give a sh!t if we say the Rangers suck.

In actuality, it’s more like hanging out with your boys and talking about your ex, which is always acceptable even if she isn’t there. Which supports my position, the Rangers and your ex both suck whether they are there or not. 

Only doesn't make sense when you don't try to understand the point. It's just plain sad.

If you choose to focus on something negative in your life and constantly bring it up even when you're having a good time with other people. It's because your life sucks and you can't get over it. Successful people simply don't do that, it's a loser thing to do

If anything it's empowering the Rangers cause it shows that they are bothering you that much even when they are not even playing you. It's screaming insecurity and inferiority complex

Edited by SterioDesign

Only doesn't make sense when you don't try to understand the point. It's just plain sad.

If you choose to focus on something negative in your life and constantly bring it up even when you're having a good time with other people. It's because your life sucks and you can't get over it. Successful people simply don't do that, it's a loser thing to do

If anything it's empowering the Rangers cause it shows that they are bothering you that much even when they are not even playing you. It's screaming insecurity and inferiority complex

1) You always think that I don't understand your points. The problem is that I do, but they are generally off-base at best, and completely ridiculous most of the time. 

2) We aren't "bringing up something negative' in our lives. Hating the Rangers is a positive. I have a sh!t ton of fun hating the Rangers and I have for years. So have other people. That's why we engage in the joyous camaraderie of chanting about how much they suck. It has nothing to do with our lives sucking. That's a completely ignorant statement that has no basis. 

3) I will grant you, it does mean we're thinking about them when they aren't there. But that's ok, we're thinking about hating our most hated rival. That's what you're supposed to do when you're a die hard fan. That's how you have a rivalry. Granted, you've already demonstrated that you have no idea how to be a fan when you rooted against your "second favorite team" in the Finals. 

4) PLEASE, let's not get into things that make each of us losers. I guarantee every one of us has something like that going on. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

The Rags fans must feel pretty inferior to Denis Potvin then, because they still chant about him 30+ years later.... including on nights where the Rags aren’t playing the Islanders, and on nights where Denis Potvin isn’t within 2,500 miles of MSG. Also, no offense man, but people from outside the area truly have no clue how it is here with the rivalry locally. You don’t get it. Live here for a while and you will, believe me... but until then, you really don’t understand the whole dynamic between the fans and the hatred. Its difficult to explain unless you live here.

Edited by MadDog2020

7 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

The Rags fans must feel pretty inferior to Denis Potvin then, because they still chant about him 30+ years later.... including on nights where the Rags aren’t playing the Islanders, and on nights where Denis Potvin isn’t within 2,500 miles of MSG. Also, no offense man, but people from outside the area truly have no clue how it is here with the rivalry locally. You don’t get it. Live here for a while and you will, believe me... but until then, you really don’t understand the whole dynamic between the fans and the hatred. Its difficult to explain unless you live here.

I can’t even imagine living so close to such a hated rival. My other team I follow is the Bengals, and even though Pittsburgh is over 4 hours away from Cincinnati, it’s really annoying how well they travel. There’s as many people in piss yellow and black as there is orange and black when we play them here. I hate it. 

You guys having to actually live amongst Rags fans in your own state has to suck. At least the Devils have been the much more successful franchise though. Meanwhile, my football team hasn’t won a playoff game since the first Bush was in office, and we have to hear about the Steelers having “6 titles and counting” 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

I can’t even imagine living so close to such a hated rival. My other team I follow is the Bengals, and even though Pittsburgh is over 4 hours away from Cincinnati, it’s really annoying how well they travel. There’s as many people in piss yellow and black as there is orange and black when we play them here. I hate it. 

You guys having to actually live amongst Rags fans in your own state has to suck. At least the Devils have been the much more successful franchise though. Meanwhile, my football team hasn’t won a playoff game since the first Bush was in office, and we have to hear about the Steelers having “6 titles and counting” 

yeah but at least you had Ochocinco in his prime..... right?

1 hour ago, SterioDesign said:

Lol yet you bring up the Habs every time you lecture someone on why they’re an ignorant fan

Edited by devlman

Just now, RunninWithTheDevil said:

yeah but at least you had Ochocinco in his prime..... right?

Chad is actually my favorite player of all time. He helped make the Bengals fun again (and relevant) after a lot of dark years in the 90s. For that I’ll always have a soft spot for him. Still the best foot work of any WR I’ve ever seen. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Though Ranger fans tend to be dopey, witless, and annoying in a "bunch of gnats flying around your face while you're running and sweating during an especially humid summer day" kind of way, their team's track record makes it easy to smack them down...yes, they've clearly had more success in general as of late, but when that doesn't result in a championship, it's not as big of a deal.  Most of the time, though I goof on the Ranger faithful quite a bit on here, when I see them out and about, I usually just ignore them and chuckle internally. 

Being a Met fan among Yankees fans, that's tougher.  Obviously there will always be a healthy contingent of Mets fans around due to multigenerational, NL allegiances (formal local Brooklyn Dodgers and NY Giants fans who latched onto the Mets, who smartly even tied aspects of the team's uniform to both teams), so it's not quite like the Devils/Rangers, where we're outnumbered by a fair margin.  But a down year for the Yankees is finishing with less than 90 wins and not making the playoffs.  Their last losing season was in 1995.  They recently managed to miss the playoffs in three out of four seasons (but STILL tallied winning records each year), and their fans will actually use words like "suffering" to describe their "misery".  As crazy and as entitled as that sounds, in a way, who can blame them?  That organization has set the bar so high that yeah, their fans really do think they're supposed to make the playoffs almost every year!  As a Met fan, you know you are NEVER competing with that...when your team is fvcked right from the top (as the Mets clearly will be as long as the Wilpons insist on not selling), the only way you will have any sustained success is to accidently fall into it...basically get insanely lucky with some young talent.  Maybe Alonso and McNeil are the beginning of that...who the hell knows?

But anyway, I find it more difficult to be a Met fan among Yankee fans, than anything Devils/Rangers related...even though of course, it's not really like the Mets and Yankees can even be considered legit rivals. 

Not sure how it is for Jets fans among Giants fans.  Giants obviously can win big on occasion, but they slip on their share of banana peels.  They just don't do it with as much gusto as the Jets often do.  And four Super Bowls (three of which were upsets) definitely helps the Giants with currency. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

1 hour ago, Nicomo said:

I can’t even imagine living so close to such a hated rival.

You should've tried being in my high school in the early 90's, there were basically three Devils fans including me, and a ton of obnoxious Rangers fans who were at the ready to heap abuse on us at any time. As you might imagine, this was intensified in 1994. 

Unfortunately (or fortunately, idk) I was already in college in 1995 and the local Rangers element was not as well represented in an institute of higher learning. So I never had the chance to give it back. 

15 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

You should've tried being in my high school in the early 90's, there were basically three Devils fans including me, and a ton of obnoxious Rangers fans who were at the ready to heap abuse on us at any time. As you might imagine, this was intensified in 1994. 

Unfortunately (or fortunately, idk) I was already in college in 1995 and the local Rangers element was not as well represented in an institute of higher learning. So I never had the chance to give it back. 

I was the only Devils fan in my middle school in Orange County NY. 1994 was hell.

• Like 1